It is currently 18 Apr 2024 09:55

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018 10:14 

Current ride: XB12XT
Selling my Buell as it just doesn’t get the riding it deserves. Currently 4 other bikes in my shed which I seem to ride more (old Honda CX's) ! Maybe got 250 miles riding last year.

Its a 2008 model (I think.... with beige coloured engine). I bought it new from Waterford Harley Davidson in 2009. It had its first service there and I've serviced it myself yearly since. It also had the latest Buell software update installed there in 2010.

It has 8959km (5600 miles) on the Odo at the moment. All ridden by me, no commuting, no city riding all minimum 30 mile plus rides on A type roads and some motorways. Never wheelied or thrashed. Engine oil changed every year (last time early 2017), transmission oil every second year.

Has original 2 sets of keys and KeyCodeCard
It has the Palmer steel bar end weights, axle slides, mud flap on front of exhaust and rubber ring thingy on steering stem.
Palmer fender extension pieces fitted.
Has a Free Spirits tensioner (Original belt tensioner wheel bracket also included)
Maz grease nipple mod
Breathers rerouted to ground
K&N filter fitted (cleaner + oil kit included too)
Bought from HD with comfort kit (vent under leg thingy etc)
It has a custom mapping installed remotely by TWIN and their US partner company - smoother riding etc.
Full Buell luggage - side panniers + top box (panniers never used)
Original Pirelli tyres – back tyre worn, front still lots of wear left.
New Motobatt MBTX12U battery fitted in 2017 - Battery is on Optimate once a fortnight or so.
Half plus bottles of HD Engine oil and Gearbox oil from last change can be taken away too.
Exhaust is original but had it off about 3 years ago and repainted it in black high temp paint – may do this again if I get a chance.

No marks that I'm aware of - I'm not a polisher but keep it semi clean and have hosed it down after mucky or autumn/spring rides - not ridden in winter.

Has lived in a garage under a soft cover all its life.

I also have a full set of original Buell Manuals for the bike incl
Owners Manual
Service Manual
Electrical Diagnostic Manual
Part Catalog

I also have a Acumen gear indicator (still new in box) that I bought for it and never fitted (as the loom adapter they sold me was for a previous model bike - wrong loom adapter (for pre 2008 bike) included too). I couldnt bring myself to cut the loom to fit it so still have it.
Also have a brand new Free Spirits RHS scoop - never fitted (bike has stock Buell "comfort Kit" RHS scoop fitted)
I also have a "modified" rear axle stand and front axle stand too....handle cut and extra piece welded into rear stand to widen it to fit on rear swingarm of this bike.
I also have a USB diagnostic cable that will go with the bike too.

Think thats it. Bike is in Ireland and irish registered, about 40 miles west of Dublin. Could deliver to the UK (Holyhead or further) for the right deal/price.

If it doesnt sell I'll hold onto it and ride it occasionally like I do at the moment as I dont need to sell it, financially speaking.

Bike is an original 1 owner (me) Irish bike with KM clocks/ODO fitted (8959km (5600 miles)).
Needs a new back tyre at the moment, still on original tyres, as it is getting a flat center. Probably best to fit a complete new set as they are the original Pirelli’s and so 9+ years old. I will sell as is so buyer can pick their own preferred tyre brand.

Asking price £5k firm.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018 19:08 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
There have been 6 or 7 for sale this year, only one is left (2 including yours) and its a dog so good luck the bike sounds good...

Price is a little high (especially as it still needs money put into it) but if someone wants a good one they'll buy it, I paid top dollar for mine and I'm happy, at the moment ;)

Put some photos up Eric that might help the sale.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 10:45 

The only money it really needs is a new rear tyre.

I could do this but we are all so used to seeing "new tyre recently fitted" in ads its easier to see and explain that these are the original tyres from new etc.

And any new owner may have their own preference in tyres and may elect to replace both tyres as a matched set. So replacing one tyre really could be a waste of time and money for me.

I would go half on the cost of a new back tyre for any ukbeg member buying the bike.

I'll try get some pictures and post next week.

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 19:15 

Current ride: 1999 X1
I honestly don't think the asking price is too high considering the mileage and care taken. Sure, it's 10 years old, but would you find anything closer to showroom fresh of this style of bike. Aside from being an XB, I wouldn't mind having it for touring all over the damn place. And I agree about the tires... my preferences are on the grippy side, not the longevity side.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 20:09 

My mate, who is interested in doing some touring in the near future and wants to join the GS frat :? took my Uly out for a ride the other day and loved it! I told him about yours. We're still talking Ulys :)

I don't mean to be offensive on the price being a little rich Eric...It sounds like a really good bike. But for me, and I would recommend for my friend and his wife before they embark on a 2000+mile tour to do both tyres, both wheel bearings and near to a full 10,000 mile service on a 10 year old bike, if not all of it. The Uly muffler needs to be "put away for special" too IMO (the Albert is mean as)

I don't need to tell you that final bill would be...not small, so I hope you understand what I meant when I said it needs some money.

All in all tho, in my early days of Uly ownership, I can recommend the Uly as a price minded option, above the other overpriced alternatives GS, Tiger etc. I hope my friend makes the choice...he is going to take his wife out on mine in a few weeks...And we all know who make the final decision :roll:

Good luck on the sale Eric...You'll be sad to see its tail light :(

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 20:13 

x1glider wrote:
but would you find anything closer to showroom fresh of this style of bike.

I did Bob... 30+ hours of :maz: loving too

Roll on Europe this year! :)

PostPosted: 01 May 2018 10:20 

No offence taken Kiwi.

I did consider doing a downpipe and silencer upgrade at one point in the past but then got a hold of myself and realised the bike was plenty good enough for me already so I made the decision to recoat/paint the original silencer and carry on.

People have always said to me "oh the bearings go in those" - this prompted me to always check the bearings every time I came back from a spin and there has never been any heat or lumpiness from them. I can only assume that the wheels were not overtightened at the dealer at initial setup. I had the rear wheel off when fitting the belt tensioner years ago and was very conscious of this so used a torque wrench etc. Modern bearings should go a long long time if installed and fixed correctly but I could see the wisdom of doing a preemptive replacement if you were going through a bike.

And a full "go through" (10,000 mile) service by Maz or someone else would not be cheap and who ever is looking at the bike needs to consider if they want to do something like that now or ride the bike for another few thousand mile and get it done in a year or so - and factor that cost in accordingly.

I've priced the bike on what I want for it - based on the miles, condition, mods, extras etc I think its a fair price. I will probably then buy a smaller (600-900cc) modern bike as my other bikes are old CX's and its good to have at least one bike in the shed that doesnt need constant fettling !

When I get some time away from work, family etc I'll pull it out of the shed, give it a wipe down and take some pictures and post here. Been at one CX rally and getting ready for another at the moment so need to sort out worn bushing/collars centrestand issue at the moment - I must own shares in David Silver at this point !!

Thanks.
Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 01 May 2018 18:59 

:yup: :)

PostPosted: 08 May 2018 08:57 

Couldnt get out for any length of time over the weekend to go for a decent spin so decided I'd take off the exhaust and give it a clean and coat or two of High Temp paint.

Do you think I could find the long reach 9/16 socket ???? FML - had to go borrow a ring spanner off a friend in the end......then remembered "oh yeah, the tensioner has to come off too to get at the strap nuts !!"...............

Seeing as I was loosening the rear wheel I decided to take it off.....seeing as its off might as well go stick a set of tyres on it.

I'm looking at Road Pilot 4's......not sure I like the thread pattern on the 5's........am I being silly ? any thoughts here ? Was considering Pirelli's (originals were decent enough) but not sure grip is as good when it gets wet.......and we get a sup of rain, both here and the UK.

Original tyres on the bike are marked end of 2007, so it needs a set.

Cheers,
Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 10 May 2018 14:37 

After some consultation with friends and the nice man in Cotters I went for a set of Battlax T31's - he recommended them ahead of the R5's !!

While there called into Dublin HD and gave them 80 euro for 3xEngineOil + 1xTrannyOil + 2xO-rings + OilFilter + Clutch Inspection Gasket + Primary Chain Inspection gasket.......they are not cheap !!

Exhaust has got two spray coats of VHT black paint and will get another 2 today.

So will be putting the wheels and exhaust back on over the weekend...bringing for 20 or 30 mile spin to warm it up then dropping engine and tranny oil, new filter, new plug o-rings, checking chain, new oils etc.

Will replace brake fluids on both ends then as I've to do the CX anyway and will have the vacuum bleeder out anyway.

Might even bring it so another spin then....be a shame not to !!

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 10 May 2018 19:03 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Sounds like you are keeping it...

PostPosted: 10 May 2018 19:20 

Current ride: X1 2001
:yt:

PostPosted: 11 May 2018 08:31 

Well after putting new tyres on it and servicing it there is no point in it sitting in the Shed and not riding it an odd time Pash.........if it sells it sells, I dont need to sell it just that with 4 other bikes it doesnt get much going (especially before when it needed a new back tyre !!).

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 12 May 2018 11:51 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
ericry wrote:
I dont need to sell it just that with 4 other bikes it doesnt get much going

But then, when you go for a spin, you start to say to yourself "I can't sell this, I'd have to buy another one"

Don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: 14 May 2018 13:28 

Ok, here's a quick snap I took on my way out yesterday morning at 8am - great day - took a spin up to the Aqueduct near Abbeyshrule which is Point Number 7 on the 2018 Irish Photo Rally - bike running great, new tyres felt great, tested them a little after they had about 35 miles on them !

Bike still needs a wash and the engine and tranny oil changed (existing oil in there from last year and probably less than 500 miles). Would have got it done on Sat except the young lad had a strop and wouldnt mow the lawns...so hope to get oils done this week.

Done so far;
- new tyres (T31's) fitted
- few squirts of grease in Maz grease nipple (oo-er)
- 4 coats of VHT paint sprayed on exhaust
- every nut/bolt threads got a dab of copper grease.
- replaced brake fluid in front an rear brakes
- adjust clutch cable free play to spec (about 2mm too loose)

Here's what 80 euro in HD shop buys you !!

Receipts !

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV