It is currently 28 Mar 2024 20:55

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2019 08:38 

Current ride: S1W,Hype,HP2,R1200RS
2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt
Fairly standard looking bike, in excellent condition, with 7258 miles on the clock, with the following subtle or longevity modifications:

• Speedo sensor voltage dropped to prevent failure (sensor itself replaced at the same time!)
• Oil pump drive gear upgraded to Lucky Hands gear
• Original ‘enclosed’ drive belt removed, with bespoke simple guard fitted
• RHS Air Scoop fitted to help keep the rear cylinder cool
• Free Spirits belt tensioner
• Lubrication nipple fitted to gearbox Output shaft
• Buell Frame Pucks
• Polished original header pipes
• Remus twin exit exhaust (2 baffle options – Remus and a slightly more open set)
• Later, wider mirrors (with the option of the original ones being refitted)

Bike has been run on Synthetic Motul 7100 V Twin Oil (standard Harley oil in the gearbox) since I have owned it (last changed prior to current off-season storage period).

It is fitted with Continental Sport Attack 3 tyres, with plenty of life left on them.

It has always been a fair-weather bike for me and I guess any previous owners, judging from the overall condition. All original equipment will come with the bike (belt guards, exhaust etc.) and I have a spare, new in the box, final drive belt.

Comes with some service history (original manual/service book, receipts from Maz and photo record of any servicing that I have done).

If anyone is interested I'll dig it out from it's winter hibernation and take some more photos. Bike is in Preston, Lancashire.

Looking for £3600 ono.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 13:36 

I would clearly love this bike to go to another Buell enthusiast if possible BUT if I look to 'part-ex' it to an independent dealer has anyone a view about the likely value?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 14:03 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Hi Jez

It's a shame you haven't had more response because it looks like a stunning example. You would certainly do better to hang fire until Spring or Summer.

Most dealers these days tend not to use a trade guide but research what similar bikes are advertised for online. They will then base their sale price on what they think it will sell for and work back from there to allow for their preparation costs, profit margin and potential warranty costs.

This could go in your favour at the moment because there are three currently advertised by dealers on eBay and Auto Trader which don't look as nice as yours for between £3795 and £3995. A positive minded salesman who got on with you, was keen to sell the bike you were interested in and liked your Firebolt might persuade his boss that he could sell it for £3995 and allow you £3000.

His wily old boss is more likely to tell him that those bikes have been advertised for months and haven't sold so yours will sell at £3495 and is worth £2500 in part exchange.

Of course the other important factor with a part exchange is what you are buying. Is it something in big demand with a queue of customers at the door or something that has been sat on the floor for ages that they have a bit of margin that they're prepared to give away to have something different on the floor? Cost to change is the critical factor here so don't get too hung up on the value of your bike and maybe negotiate for a cash discount to see how flexible they are before introducing your part exchange into the frame.

Hope that helps.

Steve

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 14:28 

Steve,

Thanks for your knowledgeable view, which kind of aligns with what I was thinking would be the case (i.e. they'd be looking at £1K profit and therefore £1K off the likely selling price).

I would much rather sell on, what I think is a nice example, privately if possible but with garage space (adn cash float) already at a premium and Mdm, rightly, emforcing a 'one in one' out policy I need to get rid of the 'bolt before I get something old I have wanted for a while and it looks like there is a nice example available.

I might give my local Bike shop a shout in case they are able to offer me a cash deal - they've done that on a couple of my bikes in the past so it may be an option.

Thanks

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 18:13 

Seems like they want rid of the bike I am looking at or it is overpriced (which it probably is) as they offered me £3500.......hmmmmmmm.

More thinking required.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 19:00 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
jeznewsome wrote:
Seems like they want rid of the bike I am looking at or it is overpriced (which it probably is) as they offered me £3500.......hmmmmmmm.

More thinking required.

Result Jez!

Not a lot of Buells for sale at the moment, not many tidy ones anyway.

Looking forward to seeing what's switching spots in the stable!!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 21:00 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Don't overthink it Jez. If you're happy with the offer take it before they change their mind. :idea:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019 21:09 

Going to do a little more research on the target (early Eighties Katana) first and pricing.

Plus the bike is at the other end of the country.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019 08:48 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
kin hell these "new" classic bikes are worth a bit :o guess i'm getting :old:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Suzuki- ... SwaIpb6p0q

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019 17:17 

Yeah that one is at the VERY expensive end of an expensive spectrum, at least that is the advice from the Katana forum.