It is currently 29 Mar 2024 15:15

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019 14:41 

Current ride: X1 Lightning
X1 full bike or just engine must be 2001, fully working preferred. I would like to change the engine in my X1 as the powder coat is bubbling and really not happy with the finish. Runs perfect and is fully Mazzed just external finish is not to my satisfaction.

The world maybe round but you can still find the Edge.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019 22:37 

Should of listened to :maz:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019 11:15 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
v2bul wrote:
Should of listened to :maz:

Ouch! :x

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 14:55 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yt: I can still hear the :roll: :headbang: :shut:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 20:02 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Nick. You want to price up having Maz strip the engine and having the powder coating dipped and bead blasted to remove it then going back to the original factory crinkle black finish and rebuilt by Maz versus the price of a 2001 X1 with a decent engine. Nobody is going to let a decent bike go for anything less than it's worth :idea:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019 15:00 

Current ride: 2002 X1
Mine has been Mazzed twice Nick, much the better option and the numbers will still match.
Off course there is the chance of the “I told you so” talk ;)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019 16:54 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
XB4RT wrote:
Mine has been Mazzed twice Nick, much the better option and the numbers will still match.
Off course there is the chance of the “I told you so” talk ;)

:yc: :here: :maz:

Steve

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019 21:07 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Steve. Who painted your S1 engine when you were at black bear. Not who stripped it but who processed all the parts for acid etching and coating ?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019 10:23 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
DaveH wrote:
Steve. Who painted your S1 engine when you were at black bear. Not who stripped it but who processed all the parts for acid etching and coating ?

A long time ago now, Dave and I left Jon to project manage most of it. I think the cases were vapour blasted by a local old boy who mainly worked on classic bikes then they were repainted using factory paint by our valetter, Buzz who is a time served, professional vehicle detailer. Engine paint has stood up well although she's only had gentle use and hasn't turned a wheel in two years while waiting for a tank to be built by Holtworx then painted. It was finished last week so will be back on the road soon :dance:

Steve

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019 11:21 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
I'm picking up my crankcases today, I've had them vapour blasted and ceramic coated ('Ceracote') by these guys
http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk in Sussex.
I had previously rattle-canned them (with Simoniz wheel paint) in 2011 and it was fine... until I gunned it!...and then it started to bubble near the base of the barrels.
Ceramic coating is a very fine tolerance, wet sprayed process, used on guns and even pistons... Wesley at hi-spec did the block and heads, sump, cam and timing covers, and all 4 manifolds on my AJP8 engine (think there's some pics on his faceache) and it was faultless; much of that is down to his diligence in the masking process.
However, Maz was very insistant that I didn't get them 'powder coated'....as 'someone' had done :shut: ...and, as they will now return to him for the crank to be re-installed, I await his verdict with not a little trepidation. lOl

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019 18:11 

Current ride: 1999 X1
rik wrote:
I'm picking up my crankcases today, I've had them vapour blasted and ceramic coated ('Ceracote') by these guys
http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk in Sussex.
I had previously rattle-canned them (with Simoniz wheel paint) in 2011 and it was fine... until I gunned it!...and then it started to bubble near the base of the barrels.
Ceramic coating is a very fine tolerance, wet sprayed process, used on guns and even pistons... Wesley at hi-spec did the block and heads, sump, cam and timing covers, and all 4 manifolds on my AJP8 engine (think there's some pics on his faceache) and it was faultless; much of that is down to his diligence in the masking process.
However, Maz was very insistant that I didn't get them 'powder coated'....as 'someone' had done :shut: ...and, as they will now return to him for the crank to be re-installed, I await his verdict with not a little trepidation. lOl

I've ceramic coated pretty much every header and muffler I've ever owned. The hit-temp chrome-like finish ones have proved the most durable. The black, not so much. Anything that kicks up off the road tends to scratch the black fairly easily and it doesn't take long for it to look dull and faded when it started of a nice pretty satin sheen (hi-temp exhaust to 2000 deg) The normal black gloss might fair better but the exhaust stuff lacked durability.

For engine cases, I've actually had pretty good luck with using the texture black rattle can stuff from H-D. Some people have used the big box store sprays and the texture and sheen just isn't the same. Next to a good OEM part, the difference is obvious.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 08:37 

I now understand that listening to :askmaz: would have been the answer. Stubborn stupid or Silly didn’t work and that’s why I’m looking for another engine. Max is against getting it stripped and dipped/blasted as would probably knack all the seals etc. Getting it rattle canned by proper h/d paint would be the only option, now finding someone to do this to the correct consistency wouldn’t be easy. If they didn’t coat it right I’m back to square one again :headbang: This bike has done over 50,000 miles and is rode fairly hard so how long before it needs :maz: attention. New engine getting fully :maz: ed is where I’m going as egg is not being wiped of again! At 60 I think one last blast at getting it right to see me till :old: but there’s still plenty left in the tank at the moment. Hope :maz: don’t retire before it’s finnished. :yup:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 10:11 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
When you say you're looking for a 2001 model can I assume after reading this thread that you are specifically after a black engine ?? I say this cos I have a 2001 X1, but apparently it's a 2002 model registered in 2001 (according to the thread link at the end of this), and doesn't have a fully black engine.
If this is the case my cunning plan won't work.

http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23089

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 12:12 

sillyb wrote:
Hope :maz: don’t retire before it’s finnished. :yup:

I wouldn't worry, he's the Keith Richards of the Buell world lOl

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 12:57 

According to :maz: the 2001 model has all the mods and is the best X1, that’s enough for me to go down that road. Yes I do want the totally black engine model.