It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:08

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 08:14 
Site Admin

All

I have made some changes to the search function of the forum ..

As you will have noticed we are experiencing a Max Connections time out occasionally (Twice last night) This is caused by the search function of the forum locking the database so that nothing else can write to it when the search function is used heavily, once locked it doesn't release previous connections and locks its self up. I have to then SSH into the server and run some script to restart the MYSQL Data Base, and in drastic cases restart the entire server. If I am not around then this wont get done until I either notice its happened or get a call from one of you, and then I can only fix it if im in front of a PC with Secure Shell access.

This issue is not unique, hundreds of websites using the same forum engine have the same issue right now and we all await a bug fix release from PHP.com, until this happens (we don't know when ) we have to take some small measures to try to decrease the frequency with this this issue is happening.

I have now limited the search function to just 2 key words per search and a period of 60 seconds between searches. For guests the time is increased to 90 seconds.

I have also allocated more of the servers CPU power towards the search function to try and help it along a bit.

There are some more drastic back end fixes but this requires rewriting the MYSQL tables for the search function and its a long and costly job, A job I want to use as a last resort right now. I have 34SP looking into a few areas that are out of our control, server and connection wise.

I know this may become frustrating but please bear with us whilst we are trying to fix the issue. Your patience is appreciated, whilst mine is wearing thin.

Thanks

Ash.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 09:03 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Just to add, we might be working on the forum today and to do this we need to disable the board for some periods of time, sorry for any inconvenience, but its a necessary to stop the DB being written too, whilst its being worked on.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 09:06 

Ash,

Thanks for letting us know and thanks again for all the work you do on the board.

I

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 12:04 
Needs more cowbell

OK, the boards were disabled for the last hour or so this morning, I noticed a floor in it though because those who automatically log in, were still able to do so :evil: :evil: :evil:

We have changed the way the search function indexes itself in the DB, it has been rewritten after other tests failed to fix it. I will leave the settings mentioned above the same for now and see how we go.

If we find that we have cured the issue, then awesome if not then we will revisit it again. We are waiting for a bug fix to be released but so far nothing has appeared, so we have to try something for ourselves and this is it.

Please bear with us if we do suffer another connection issue, we are working really hard to solve this as we know how frustrating it is for you guys as well as us!

Thanks for your continued patience :)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 12:15 

Ash, you're an absolute superstar. What ever happens, put yourself and the family first mate. It isn't the end of the world if anyone can't log in for an hour or two.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 12:20 

Wot ^^ he ^^ said. :worthy:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 12:50 
Needs more cowbell

Thanks chaps :)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 12:58 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
:yup:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 13:17 

Yup, I agree with them up there. Brilliant job Ash, you're a star.
Just don't let our demands take priority over your own eh? :4roz: :4roz: :4roz: :4roz:

and wtf are you on about, don't understand a bloody word :oooops:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 13:19 
Needs more cowbell

Well don't be to quick to thank me yet, we don't know for certain this will work ... :oooops: :?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 13:28 

Ash wrote:
Well don't be to quick to thank me yet, we don't know for certain this will work ... :oooops: :?

Personally, I'm grateful that you put the time and effort in to the site. The fact that you manage it brilliantly is a huge bonus. So: thanks for all the work and thanks that you succeed.

I

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 14:03 
Needs more cowbell

No problem :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :yup: :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 18:00 

Ash, as one of the people who has some idea of the large % of your life you put into the site to keep it open for us, I would just like to say a huge thanks. I don't think everyone appreciates how much time you dedicate to it - but always remember, it's only a bloody website (the best there is, of course 8-)) and make sure you put yourself and family first.

Well done that man :yup:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 18:10 
Needs more cowbell

No real thanks needed but appreciated chap, you and the rest of the team also do your fair share here as well, for which I am very grateful :yup:

Now ... someone make a donation to the site or this cute fluffy kitten gets it ...

;)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 18:17 

Ash wrote:
No real thanks needed but appreciated chap, you and the rest of the team also do your fair share here as well, for which I am very grateful :yup:

Now ... someone make a donation to the site or this cute fluffy kitten gets it ...

;)

Ash mate - Pull the trigger :twisted:

I am in awe - just pulled a 10hour day in front of a screen doing site-admin - Thank f*ck I'm escaping as of NOW.