Last visit was: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:12 pm It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:22 am 

Current ride: The wife
kevmean wrote:
They've asked if i'll work 12 hour shifts on my week off ................ guess what my answer was :D

"Treble time and I'll consider it" ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:58 am 

Current ride: Buell X1 2001
att wrote:
DaveH wrote:
Kin, ell that all sounds very deep. I'm glad I'm nearly out of the game than beginning it. We are drowning in red tape. We all want to go home safe, but paper work is overcoming natural talent. Risk assessments, method statements,alarps. All I want to do is my maintenance engineer job. Not report to a shiney arse that's been on a course for two weeks and knows my job better than me. Hopefully all be retired next year aged 56 self funded. Bring it on :yup:

Everyone I speak with feels the same, in all aspects of employment, they are all totally fucked off with the red tape/bureaucracy....I just wonder who will actually be doing anything in 5 years time!

I have done many different jobs up to senior management. It all went to shit big time, some 10-12 years ago.....It has gone downhill ever since, at an alarming rate.
Thing is, the peach have demoralised everyone and that demoralisation brings control, so everyone does as they are told, it has gone back to Victorian times, to see people scared of CCTV in their work place is totally wrong.

I semi-retired 6 years back and will fully retire very soon. I have a lucrative business operating right now, but the bullshit that comes with being a supplier to the large corps. is stifling, I would rather wrap it up and fuck off for an easy life, than jump through their imaginary hoops because it makes some dickless wonder feel important....I dislike people intensely and they are becoming worse, as they are fearful for their jobs and thus their future, horrible fuckers to deal with are humans.

:yt: seems it's creeping in to all industries...there has to be a factory turning out these brain dead
management ..... probably all these uni types with the ten a penny degrees in media studies

2001 X1 :4roz:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:38 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
We seem to have less and less real work for the growing number of educated munchkins to do (previous gov thought putting everyone through UNI would automatically make us great again was one aspect, increasing globalisation was another), so they have to invent occupations to make an economy work. Round and round we go with increasing number of jobsworths. :?

Much as l hate to politicise recent events (you just can't burn people), but you may also find that everyone responsible was only doing as policy dictated and had a piece of paper to indemnify their actions even if in the bigger picture it was dismal failure in a duty of care. This may prove to be a landmark event that could be seen as a microcosm of the greater malais in our society. :roll: Hopefully with that may bring some shift in attitudes. C

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 pm 

kevmean wrote:
DaveH wrote:
Kin, ell that all sounds very deep. I'm glad I'm nearly out of the game than beginning it. We are drowning in red tape. We all want to go home safe, but paper work is overcoming natural talent. Risk assessments, method statements,alarps. All I want to do is my maintenance engineer job. Not report to a shiney arse that's been on a course for two weeks and knows my job better than me. Hopefully all be retired next year aged 56 self funded. Bring it on :yup:

:yt: Glad I haven't got too long to go now (59 in November) they are just about in the shit now at my place as we run a 4 shift system but we have only had 3 mechanical guys for nearly 5 years now as they wouldn't replace the 4th guy when he got locked up for attempted murder, I've been warning them that it is getting to a critical stage now as all the mechanical guys are within one year of each other, last week one has handed his notice in so now we are down to two of us and still a 4 shift rota. They've asked if i'll work 12 hour shifts on my week off ................ guess what my answer was :D

We're in the same boat Kev. Apart from the 20 yr old apprentice I'm the young boy ,at a couple of months away from 56, the eldest being 58. We're all multi skilled engineers ( mechanical, electrical, welding) and we're all looking to go early. Why won't managers invest in the future ?. We rib the apprentice that when we go we'll buy him a good pair of steel toe capped trainers cos he's gonna need them to run from job to job. I'm just clicking these weeks off now one by one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

You know its so difficult to employ apprentices these days, for insurance purposes it would be advisable to start them at 20 years old, which isn't ideal because obviously they want more money then.
All their training needs to be documented, every single task you want them to do needs to be risk assessed and signed for by them as an arse covering exercise, its not cheap to do as they will slow down at least one skilled bloke to train them and then they will fuck off as soon as you have trained them.
To be perfectly honest though, mostly people I talk to don't start apprentices because they are exactly the same as all the comments on here and can't get out the door quick enough, I didn't always feel that way but basically engineering has been in decline since I started in it, its been in recession since at least 2008 and the money people want to pay for manufactured products is more or less fuck all and virtually no one is interested.

I'm only waiting for the compulsory purchase order man to come and buy our building and business and that will be me out the fuckin door.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 pm 

spondon440 wrote:
... engineering has been in decline since I started in it, its been in recession since at least 2008 and the money people want to pay for manufactured products is more or less fuck all and virtually no one is interested.

The decline started WAY before 2008, the amount of work the company (I worked for for years) lost to foreign (read eastern European) workers was immense...and where have those foreign workers that had my job gone...there here looking for the jobs that no longer exist!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:28 pm 

Finmows wrote:
spondon440 wrote:
... engineering has been in decline since I started in it, its been in recession since at least 2008 and the money people want to pay for manufactured products is more or less fuck all and virtually no one is interested.

The decline started WAY before 2008, the amount of work the company (I worked for for years) lost to foreign (read eastern European) workers was immense...and where have those foreign workers that had my job gone...there here looking for the jobs that no longer exist!

I didn't start working in engineering in 2008, 1979 in fact.
Personally I think its nothing to do with cheap workers elsewhere, more to do with the clean air act and before that the decline of ship building in the UK since WW2.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 pm 

spondon440 wrote:
Finmows wrote:
spondon440 wrote:

I didn't start working in engineering in 2008, 1979 in fact.
Personally I think its nothing to do with cheap workers elsewhere, more to do with the clean air act and before that the decline of ship building in the UK since WW2.

Andy

Fair comment

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:31 pm 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
The heyday for Engineering was the post war years through to the 70's. When I started in 1978, there was an intake of 125 apprentices at the 1st year training centre (mostly on Fizzies lOl ) which was funded by all the local companies. By 1980 it was down to 47 and it closed (along with most of the businesses) in 1981. I haven't had a pay rise for 9 years. Allegedly, I'm lucky to have a job.
I did think about starting up again ( I had my own machine shop for 12 years) but the red tape, insurance, rent, rates, blah, blah makes it a non starter. I can email drawings to a manufacturer in Thailand and get the parts two weeks later (by air) cheaper than I can by the material in the UK.

R.I.P. UK manufacturing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm 

:yt:
Like I said, just waiting for the compulsory purchase man to say yes.

The word apprentice now has a completely different meaning and its very sad.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:14 am 

Current ride: 1999 X1
Things were pretty good for us all during the cold war. We need another to spur growth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:40 am 

Current ride: 98 S1W
x1glider wrote:
Things were pretty good for us all during the cold war. We need another to spur growth.

I'm sure your president is working on it, probably without realising it lOl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 am 

Bonzo wrote:
x1glider wrote:

I'm sure your president is working on it, probably without realising it lOl

I'm sure he'll let us know when he's ready lOl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:55 am 

spondon440 wrote:

Andy

You're not having the HS3 line straight through the middle of the machine shop are you ??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm 

DaveH wrote:
spondon440 wrote:

Andy

You're not having the HS3 line straight through the middle of the machine shop are you ??

Nope.

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next