Last visit was: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 am It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 21 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Yes, l just love that US can do will do it somehow approach! ;)

That first picture looks a bit like a British Austin A55 dash. My Dad had one similar to that......sans disc spinner that is! 8-)


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 pm
Posts: 1421
Current ride: Can-Am V-twin
Location: Biggar, Scotland
x1glider wrote:
Many years ago, I can remember edd and Eric batting hifi about on here and even can remember Eric's story of coming by his stuff. Lots of talk about Linn and a friend he had made.

Unfortunately, I chased him away from this site by posting an offensive joke in the Jokes topic. Purely unintentional and, not knowing Eric personally, had no idea of the posted joke's potential effect. It was pointed out to me offline and I have since refrained from posting things there unless they were reasonably acceptable by most people. Eric's leaving here is not something I ever wanted, but I get it. And I heartily apologize for the damage done and do hope he will hang around here and join in whenever he feels like it.

So Eric, please accept my apology for my past transgression. I truly meant no harm.


I’d honestly forgotten about that, and don’t need reminding. Some things are better forgotten, that way they don’t need to be forgiven! Bygones are bygones, so nothing to forgive and no apology necessary.

_________________
Insomniacs of the world unite, you've nothing to lose but your sleep!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 pm
Posts: 1421
Current ride: Can-Am V-twin
Location: Biggar, Scotland
As you probably see, I don’t pop in here very often these days. I just tried to quote a reply about my current ride. X1 is quite right, I did have a modded quad bike (the holder of the very unofficial “fastest quad in Scotland” title), but I sold that for a 1,000cc rotary v-twin Can am tryke, and then swapped that for a 1,330cc Rita’s triple Can-Am F3. A very serious but of kit. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, I’ve only rode it once last year. This year just be different.... ride it or sell it,that’s the choice.

_________________
Insomniacs of the world unite, you've nothing to lose but your sleep!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 pm
Posts: 1421
Current ride: Can-Am V-twin
Location: Biggar, Scotland
Streaming is definitely the future of Hi-Fi. My friend at Linn used to make a CD player that cost ten or twelve grand, but now doesn’t make any at all. The reason being that the CD format was inherently limiting the quality of the information stored to less than half the total recorded information in the studio. Streaming, on the other hand, does not. You can have a full studio quality recording.

Ivor sent a guy round to my house to demo his streamers about 10 years ago and some were very impressive indeed. Some rather less so. If I had the money, I’d spend £20,200 on an Akurate streamer and Exakt Akudorik speakers, but I haven’t so I’ll ‘make do’ with what I have. As a precursor to streaming, I copied all of my 1,000 or so CDs on to a pair of hard drives. That was a task I’d rather not repeat! As I still own the discs, there’s no breach of copyright and no moral issue. As a temporary measure I used a Sonos box to link to the drives to give an operating system and act as a dac. It’s defini sub-optimal, and is just temporary.... for the last 10 years or so!

All that being said, Linn are still developing the LP12 turntable. You can pay £18,870 for the top of the line version, mine would cost a mere £7,010!

Personally, I just want to enjoy the music. Sadly, that means I use the Sonos most as it’s the easiest way. It’s nowhere near as good as either the Genki (I think they were about £1,200 when I got mine) or my simply sublime LP12. Putting on records with just one functioning arm, that isn’t great itself, is a challenge, to say the least. It’s also quite stressful as I’m always worried I’ll damage my precious discs.

_________________
Insomniacs of the world unite, you've nothing to lose but your sleep!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Another heart warming tale Eric. I have also heard some good things from streamers, but not ones l could afford. Still l can wait, as my old art tutor used to say,” you’ll still find heaven doing things your way, but it’ll just take you a bit longer! “ Good to hear that your good old LP12 is in fine fettle! 8-)

If you don’t mind me asking. Have they given you the reclining feature for your
Spectra wheel chair yet? My partner Olivia couldn’t do without it as it enables her to take the weight off her hips and redistribute it to her back. ;)

If you do not, you could try to argue a case for you needing it to reduce physical stress somehow. When Olivia does transfer to the sofa, l sometimes get in her chair an tip it back fully for a rest myself. :old


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 637
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Fat Crip wrote:
Streaming is definitely the future of Hi-Fi. My friend at Linn used to make a CD player that cost ten or twelve grand, but now doesn’t make any at all. The reason being that the CD format was inherently limiting the quality of the information stored to less than half the total recorded information in the studio. Streaming, on the other hand, does not. You can have a full studio quality recording.

Ivor sent a guy round to my house to demo his streamers about 10 years ago and some were very impressive indeed. Some rather less so. If I had the money, I’d spend £20,200 on an Akurate streamer and Exakt Akudorik speakers, but I haven’t so I’ll ‘make do’ with what I have. As a precursor to streaming, I copied all of my 1,000 or so CDs on to a pair of hard drives. That was a task I’d rather not repeat! As I still own the discs, there’s no breach of copyright and no moral issue. As a temporary measure I used a Sonos box to link to the drives to give an operating system and act as a dac. It’s defini sub-optimal, and is just temporary.... for the last 10 years or so!

All that being said, Linn are still developing the LP12 turntable. You can pay £18,870 for the top of the line version, mine would cost a mere £7,010!

Personally, I just want to enjoy the music. Sadly, that means I use the Sonos most as it’s the easiest way. It’s nowhere near as good as either the Genki (I think they were about £1,200 when I got mine) or my simply sublime LP12. Putting on records with just one functioning arm, that isn’t great itself, is a challenge, to say the least. It’s also quite stressful as I’m always worried I’ll damage my precious discs.


I have all of my Cds on hard drives also, works a treat through my sound card to my amp & is really easy. I mainly use these for day to day listening as I only have to use my mouse to play stuff & I'm usually doing something else at the same time.

If I'm going to sit down for a couple of hours to relax & seriously listen to the music I play Cds or Vinyl. Both formats are pretty equal on my system although I have a preference for vinyl.

I also use Bandcamp as a streamer usually in Wav format, I can't really fault that to be brutally honest & anything I buy from there gets downloaded in Wav format onto my hard drives.

All my spare cash is going on my 1125r at the moment, my Hi Fi is a poor second for the time being although I'm still buying some music.

Nice to hear from you again Eric.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Try this one Paul to test your system;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VqyPNRsuk

I got this one on vinyl, which was the Ozric's last I think. The low freq stuff can give speakers a work out! ;)


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 pm
Posts: 1421
Current ride: Can-Am V-twin
Location: Biggar, Scotland
edd wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking. Have they given you the reclining feature for your
Spectra wheel chair yet? My partner Olivia couldn’t do without it as it enables her to take the weight off her hips and redistribute it to her back. ;)

If you do not, you could try to argue a case for you needing it to reduce physical stress somehow. When Olivia does transfer to the sofa, l sometimes get in her chair an tip it back fully for a rest myself. :old


I have 2 NHS wheelchairs, a Quicky manual, folding chair, that is handy to use as a chair (as opposed to wheelchair) that I can move about and can get in and out of with relative ease, but totally useless for anything else.

About 10 years ago, I bought a Pride Go-Go scooter and it changed my life. Unfortunately, people often look at people on scooters as simply to lazy to walk, so I pushed for an electric wheelchair and I got a referral for one. They supplied me with this Spectra thing. It was hugely expensive, incredibly heavy, has poor performance, and required an up rated car hoist. Frankly, it was an enormous waste of taxpayer’s money. I haven’t used it in a year now.

Instead, I bought a new Pride scooter. It works well, but still has the stigma of a scooter. The problem with the NHS is that they’re only interested in my being able to get around indoors, not out. This is a nonsense!

_________________
Insomniacs of the world unite, you've nothing to lose but your sleep!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Fat Crip wrote:
edd wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking. Have they given you the reclining feature for your
Spectra wheel chair yet? My partner Olivia couldn’t do without it as it enables her to take the weight off her hips and redistribute it to her back. ;)

If you do not, you could try to argue a case for you needing it to reduce physical stress somehow. When Olivia does transfer to the sofa, l sometimes get in her chair an tip it back fully for a rest myself. :old


I have 2 NHS wheelchairs, a Quicky manual, folding chair, that is handy to use as a chair (as opposed to wheelchair) that I can move about and can get in and out of with relative ease, but totally useless for anything else.

About 10 years ago, I bought a Pride Go-Go scooter and it changed my life. Unfortunately, people often look at people on scooters as simply to lazy to walk, so I pushed for an electric wheelchair and I got a referral for one. They supplied me with this Spectra thing. It was hugely expensive, incredibly heavy, has poor performance, and required an up rated car hoist. Frankly, it was an enormous waste of taxpayer’s money. I haven’t used it in a year now.

Instead, I bought a new Pride scooter. It works well, but still has the stigma of a scooter. The problem with the NHS is that they’re only interested in my being able to get around indoors, not out. This is a nonsense!


Yes, that’s what we found. The Spectra arrived with indoor wheels that couldn’t ride over kerbs. A private disability centre also said the footrests as supplied were being over stressed and would soon break. Great l said, can you write us a note to give to the wheelchair centre. An emphatic no was the reply. “We are not allowed to criticise any NHS work or equipment”. Jesus l thought l had said goodbye to all that BS when l left local gov! :roll:

The best bit was that the seat was set so far forward the drive wheels couldn’t grip and the front casters squealed in complaint. We couldn’t get a quick appt to adjust it so l asked if l could do it? No way came the reply. It was a two hour job and All work has to be assessed by professional practitioners. Shame it wasn’t assessed before delivery to the user, l thought. :headbang:

Anyway, my partner had had enough and asked me to do it. How hard can it be she said. Not very as it turned out. There are four lock nuts under the seat which can be accessed by a rear spring clamp. The seat base plate gives access to the top of the adjusters via six small hex bolts. We moved the seat back by 2.5 inches and it worked much better. We even tested it for hill climbing ability on the embankment at Avebury. :hehe:
There was the minor matter of redressing the power control lead which had been cable tied to the inner seat rail, but that’s bread and butter to an XB owner. The job took 22 minutes including thinking time! :roll:

The chair centre did change the front wheels and footrests eventually, and they are much more relaxed when they sense that you know what you are doing. There are good people there, but l don’t envy having to work under the established regime they have to. I would have shouted at someone before now! :coat:


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Sorry thread hijack again!

I forgot to mention that the weight of the Spectra is actually a plus point for some people, my partner included. This provides stability for difficult transfers by those with limited mobility without the chair footprint being too wide. ;)


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 637
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Firmly back to Hi Fi again.

Have a gander at this folks, even if you ain't into hi fi this is space age.
Shame about the shit project arm & DJ whizz cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFWuF5900Wk

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
A bit like a ‘unipivot platter’ ? Amazing!

Damn clever those Germans! 8-)


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Although now l’ve slept thinking about it, l wonder what effect eddy currents or stray electrical fields would have on an MC cartridge........or persons sat near it when it’s running? :?


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 637
Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
Although now l’ve slept thinking about it, l wonder what effect eddy currents or stray electrical fields would have on an MC cartridge........or persons sat near it when it’s running? :?


Yeah already with you on that one Edd. The warnings are clear in the user manual link below.

I haven't yet managed to find a review of the sound quality or seen one playing a vinyl record with sound attached.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... manual.pdf

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2390
Current ride: XB9SX
Regardless of what it sounds like, l bet they’ll sell by the boat load to the well heeled just for the coolness factor! 8-)


Top
   
 
 [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 21 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], gusm2 and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited