Last visit was: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:51 pm It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: New Norton
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:24 pm 

Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
Interesting thread indeed. There’s a lot of experienced and skilled people who’s opinion I value and respect chipping in so thanks for all the comments.

I have neither the skill, space or time to be doing any ‘big’ jobs on our bikes. Maybe when I retire I’ll give it a shot but not any when soon. I do enjoy a wee bit of tinkering but I’ve more chance of screwing it up than fixing it :D

Because I’m not an old school rider I suppose my head has been turned by modern bikes. I like the Bonneville range and in particular the Speed Twin but I’m not prepared to give up my Street Triple yet. Maybe in five years or so.

I like the modern tech and reliability. I like the look of the old stuff but have no desire to own or even ride one. It would probably put me off them for ever :D

I truly envy the skills that the likes of Mojo, Spondon, Adam, Maz and many others on the forum have to be able to fix, build and improve bikes. I think of them as magicians and bike whispers and am totally in awe. :worthy:

I dread the day I can no longer throw my leg over a bike and ride. Until then I’ll be riding ‘em not fixing ‘em :D

Thanks legends :yup:

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 am 

Current ride: XB9SX
rik wrote:
Nutah wrote:
....supply & demand , i suppose Mick , that's what seems to be selling/fashionable ?
I like Norton , as i said before my old man had a few of em, I hope they can do it .
Triumph have more investment & more options of models , John Bloor built them up from nothing :worthy:
Norton are selling less but higher priced small volume , for now perhaps
with more investment (the bane of the old British bike industry) they could branch out more ?

Taking nothing away from Bloor, but there was no pressure on NewCo Triumph to make a profit for many years as it was funded by his building empire;
"In 1985, Triumph purchased a first set of equipment to begin working, in secret, on its new prototype models. By 1987, the company had completed its first engine. In 1988, Bloor funded the building of a new factory in Hinckley, Leicestershire. The first Hinckley Triumphs were produced for the 1991 model year. Bloor put between £70 million and £100 million into the company between purchasing the brand and breaking even in 2000." (Wiki)
Presumably NewCo Norton's business model is somewhat different.

Yes, l heard that ‘new’ Norton had some serious supply issues with gear boxes at one stage (hopefully sorted now?). The supplier’s supply being somewaht intermittent due to the moderate scale of the operation and other priorities! :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:38 am 

Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
as an example of the difficulties of small production motorcycles
read the 25 years of Buell book , an interesting look into the whole experience. :yup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:29 pm 

Current ride: 1996 S2T, 2009 XB12X
edd wrote:
Yes, l heard that ‘new’ Norton had some serious supply issues with gear boxes at one stage (hopefully sorted now?). The supplier’s supply being somewaht intermittent due to the moderate scale of the operation and other priorities! :?

It looks like Stuart Garner has been dipping into the pension pot to make ends meet too.

https://twitter.com/dogs006/status/1192582079713697792?s=20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 pm 

A mate of mine served his apprenticeship at Norton, the original one, then went back for mark2 with the rotary engines and then went back again during the Al Melling days when they nearly made the Nemesis (which I was offered work on, thank fuck I said no) .
He obviously thinks it will take a shit but personally I thought they sort of where doing ok, I've never thought it felt like a proper company though, in fact its a bit weird, nice product though probably be very collectable when he finally gets sussed out and it implodes.

:coat:

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Did you know that the Nemesis front brake is identical to an XB front brake :)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:02 pm 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
SimonD wrote:
edd wrote:

It looks like Stuart Garner has been dipping into the pension pot to make ends meet too.

https://twitter.com/dogs006/status/1192582079713697792?s=20

:roll: :coat:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 pm 

Maz wrote:

Not even sure if they actually finished one.
I did know that half the mudgaurd was cast on each front fork lower, ground breaking idea which strangely wasn't picked up by any other manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

National Motorcycle Museum has a Nemisis on display, you should go and check it out :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:23 pm 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
spondon440 wrote:
Maz wrote:

I did know that half the mudgaurd was cast on each front fork lower, ground breaking idea which strangely wasn't picked up by any other manufacturers.

Not heard that. At first I thought, yeah, like we all need a cast alloy mudguard :roll: , but then, it must make for the ultimate fork brace :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 pm 

Maz wrote:
National Motorcycle Museum has a Nemisis on display, you should go and check it out :idea:

Been loads of times and maybe because loads of actually interesting things are there I didn't see it, you sure its on display?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm 

rik wrote:
spondon440 wrote:
Maz wrote:

Not heard that. At first I thought, yeah, like we all need a cast alloy mudguard :roll: , but then, it must make for the ultimate fork brace :idea:

I'm not even sure its bolted together, I was offered it and their procurement guy was less than impressed when I said why would you make it like that :roll:
A mate of mine made 250 sets which where free issue and because they were all porous they refused to pay him, nearly cost him his business, car and bike manufacturers, no thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

spondon440 wrote:
Maz wrote:

Been loads of times and maybe because loads of actually interesting things are there I didn't see it, you sure its on display?

Yeah, it's on a turntable at the entrance to the main museum, so FOC to view.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2