Last visit was: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:44 pm It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:45 pm 

Current ride: S1`s
Need to repair the rear brake cylinders on my old landrover which has ali slave cylinders .

Does any one know the Tap thread size you cut to take the 7/16" - 20- unf wire insert ?

Also to take the 3/8" - 24 - unf wire insert ?

Trying to save them for spares, but the insert kits are expensive. Can buy the inserts loose if I know tap size .
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:01 pm 

Current ride: 1999 X1
If we're talking about heli-coils, the taps are not standard sizes. They are special because the inserts are coiled wire of a given dimensional cross-section, so the nominal OD of the tap doesn't correlate to anything standard. So when looking for a tap for heli-coils, you have to buy one that is "designed for" whatever insert you want. If you can extrapolate any information out of a heli-coil insert, it is that the the tap for it will be the same thread pitch as what you are trying to match, in your case 20 TPI. But you can't determine the OD.

So, yes, they are expensive. You need the tap, installation tool and the insert. I believe you also need a way to break off the nib that allows you to screw it in, so that means another tool.

You might just want to take it to a machine shop or simply tap to the next size up if there's enough meat to work with. To me, heli-coils aren't worth the trouble.

There's also a cheaper alternative. Look here: https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-inserts/black-phosphate-steel-easy-to-install-thread-locking-inserts/system-of-measurement~inch/thread-size~7-16-20/

This solution does take a standard tap. And doesn't consume any more meat than a heli-coil. I prefer these over coiled wire any day because it's one piece. I probably should have just led off with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:00 pm 

Current ride: S1`s
Yea , thanks . looked at 3/8 unc set I`ve got and noticed the tap was specific for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm 

I've got a wide range of taps and inserts in BSF, and the taps are specific to that particular brand of insert. My Metric ones are like that too. I think you'll have to buy the specific size for the brand of insert used?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 pm 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Adam wrote:
I think you'll have to buy the specific size for the brand of insert used?

:yup: yes lots of choice out there , helicoil, wire insert,...... and all slightly different .

[ 5 posts ]