Last visit was: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 am It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: nhs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:51 am 

i have just come out of hospital after an op for kidney stones and cant beleive the contrast between the people who work there .the nurses are mostly lovely people the surgeon was a jumped up dickhead who scrubbed around any questions that he did not want to answer and the plonker who gave me the anesthetic managed to pump two hypos full into my arm under the skin but not into the vein so i have a left arm like popeye.and finally the nhs seems to work in a time vacuum as an hour to us mortals means three to them.so while i am stuck at home i think i will be trawling the internet for private health insurance :headbang:

Post subject: Re: nhs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:52 pm 

My father is currently in hospital with a difficult case of Laminitis (spl?) Basically one of his legs has ballooned and the skin is literally delaminating and there is a lot of fluid oozing out. They had him in for 3 weeks to treat this and as soon as it hinted at improving (not cured) they sent him home where it promptly kicked off again and is now worse than ever! The nurses are great, but it is difficult to get any access to or answers from the doctors. To add to his misery, each bed is equipped with a sort of computer/phone /tv piece of crap. My father is not computer literate at all. It is a complicated thing to use that the nurses also don't understand and are unable to setup. You have to buy a card to operate it at £3.50 per day and if you use the phone it costs £1 a minute on top! However the scam that rides on the back of it is that the phone only rings 2 times before going to answerphone, not giving anyone time to anwer it. Apparently it costs £1 a minute to ring it, so by not allowing anyone to answer it in time, the patient then has to dial the answerphone to find out who rung, clocking up a nice fee on the way! I have got the number of the company that runs it (Softcom). When you ring their number it turns out to be an advert for the company that then hangs up.
IMHO every company should by law have a direct phoneline to a person, who can be contacted for complaints and to divert you to right person with a problem.
:evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 pm 
Sir Cabbage

Betty Swollocks wrote:
My father is currently in hospital with a difficult case of Laminitis (spl?) Basically one of his legs has ballooned and the skin is literally delaminating and there is a lot of fluid oozing out. They had him in for 3 weeks to treat this and as soon as it hinted at improving (not cured) they sent him home where it promptly kicked off again and is now worse than ever! The nurses are great, but it is difficult to get any access to or answers from the doctors. To add to his misery, each bed is equipped with a sort of computer/phone /tv piece of crap. My father is not computer literate at all. It is a complicated thing to use that the nurses also don't understand and are unable to setup. You have to buy a card to operate it at £3.50 per day and if you use the phone it costs £1 a minute on top! However the scam that rides on the back of it is that the phone only rings 2 times before going to answerphone, not giving anyone time to anwer it. Apparently it costs £1 a minute to ring it, so by not allowing anyone to answer it in time, the patient then has to dial the answerphone to find out who rung, clocking up a nice fee on the way! I have got the number of the company that runs it (Softcom). When you ring their number it turns out to be an advert for the company that then hangs up.
IMHO every company should by law have a direct phoneline to a person, who can be contacted for complaints and to divert you to right person with a problem.

Hope your dad gets better, with regards to the TV entertainment you need to write to the trust. The company who runs that is Hospedia, the umpteenth creation of patientline. The theory was (years ago) that the trusts would be able to fulfil their obligations to provide entertainment for patients by allowing patientline to fit the systems for free and their costs would be covered by the cards.

They then spent millions putting them on every hospital bed in the country and when people started to realise just how expensive they were and combine lots of negative publicity for the hospitals, they went bust. Various re-brands later and more bail out money they're back as hospedia and are still as shit as ever.

I deal with them all the time as they ultimately have to work with us when we fit our medical trunking systems, they cause me a lot of headaches on new refurb projects and ultimately they try and blame us for the delays.

Talking to their Directors two weeks ago at a International Healthcare Estates Management expo they now have a one off daily charge which covers use of the whole system and incoming calls etc.

The trusts are uber concerned about this mob but nobody else is stupid enough to try and relieve them of their loss making market place.

We sell a simple LCD TV on an arm that has freeview TV, Radio and RGB sockets for the kids to plug in XBox's, Ipods etc and a lot of trusts are now willing to pay the £900 bed for this as it's simple to use (doesn't confuse the elders) and is virtually maintenance free.

Writing to your trust and pointing out that Hospedia now offer differing and cheaper access packages may not only help your pop but other poor people stuck watching the clock because they can't afford to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:07 pm 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Thats good info GM, could there be light at the end of the tunnel?
Betty, hope the ol man is better soon, soon enough to be home for Chrimbo ;)

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:56 pm 

Since when did UKBEG get a commercial channel?

"This thread has been brought to you by..." :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm 

My father's currently in Worcester Royal Hospital after suffering a massive stroke on Saturday night. Currently it looks like he is recovering OK but we had a close call yesterday.

I think there all the staff are very good and work well as a team. However it did take about 3 days before we got the real low-down on his condition from the ward doctor and consultant.

They also seem to have these funny TV/phone/internet thingies but not many seem to use them (too expensive?). I wonder if you could surf the net on them to find out information from Freedom of Information requests etc. about hospital patient mortality rates etc.

The one thing they have really messed up at Worcester though is the car parking. During any working day, getting a visitors' space is like trying to park in Tesco's on the last Saturday before Christmas. Then if you can find a space, it costs between £2.50 and £7.50 per visit to park there. They also recently stopped the direct bus service from our town to the hospital. Fortunately I'm local enough to know where there is nearby free on-street parking - it's in a residential area called "The Harleys" (no kidding!).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:42 am 

Norm wrote:
"This thread has been brought to you by..." :lol: :lol:
Anchor & DMC; working hand in hand to make the whole world twee.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am 

Geordie Mick wrote:
Betty Swollocks wrote:

Hope your dad gets better, with regards to the TV entertainment you need to write to the trust. The company who runs that is Hospedia, the umpteenth creation of patientline. The theory was (years ago) that the trusts would be able to fulfil their obligations to provide entertainment for patients by allowing patientline to fit the systems for free and their costs would be covered by the cards.

They then spent millions putting them on every hospital bed in the country and when people started to realise just how expensive they were and combine lots of negative publicity for the hospitals, they went bust. Various re-brands later and more bail out money they're back as hospedia and are still as shit as ever.

I deal with them all the time as they ultimately have to work with us when we fit our medical trunking systems, they cause me a lot of headaches on new refurb projects and ultimately they try and blame us for the delays.

Talking to their Directors two weeks ago at a International Healthcare Estates Management expo they now have a one off daily charge which covers use of the whole system and incoming calls etc.

The trusts are uber concerned about this mob but nobody else is stupid enough to try and relieve them of their loss making market place.

We sell a simple LCD TV on an arm that has freeview TV, Radio and RGB sockets for the kids to plug in XBox's, Ipods etc and a lot of trusts are now willing to pay the £900 bed for this as it's simple to use (doesn't confuse the elders) and is virtually maintenance free.

Writing to your trust and pointing out that Hospedia now offer differing and cheaper access packages may not only help your pop but other poor people stuck watching the clock because they can't afford to use it.

Thanks for the info Mick. I shall be certainly writing a letter of complaint to the hospital.

[ 8 posts ]