Last visit was: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:22 am It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1214 Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:31 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Are we done then?

Seems to have run it's course to me & was as far removed from sub atomic physics as you could get, but interesting any way.

As the Dragons would say, I'm out.

All the best Paul.

Yes we could be done, but is it so far removed from sub atomic physics?

How does a solid looking sphere of bright white plasma appear in a hedge, then go out like a light when you try to get too close. Or was this a case of St Elmo’s fire which l have never seen before? Can the mind of a dying person project such energy to a point 3 miles away? Am l just mad? These and many other questions remain unanswered. ;)

Cheers edd 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:31 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Are we done then?

Seems to have run it's course to me & was as far removed from sub atomic physics as you could get, but interesting any way.

As the Dragons would say, I'm out.

All the best Paul.

Yes we could be done, but is it so far removed from sub atomic physics?

How does a solid looking sphere of bright white plasma appear in a hedge, then go out like a light when you try to get too close. Or was this a case of St Elmo’s fire which l have never seen before? Can the mind of a dying person project such energy to a point 3 miles away? Am l just mad? These and many other questions remain unanswered. ;)

Cheers edd 8-)

I have no idea to be honest but take a look here, I found this really interesting site via searching around one of Dave's links from a post in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjI2J2SQ528

Hope it helps. Paul.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 pm 

Hi Edd,

Sorry buddy this is the correct link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EugeneKhut ... irmation=1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:06 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Thanks l’ll have a look see. ;)

By the way, the numbers 33.33 (33 1/3) would have been magic numbers to Nicola Tesla........which sort of links us back to hi-if! lOl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:07 am 

Hi Edd,

Do you know about these?

https://www.ted.com/recommends?gclid=Cj ... EALw_wcB#/

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 pm 

Current ride: XB9R
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Dave from Scotland wrote:
Fins and others,

You call and I will come!

JazzB makes some interesting and valid points, whilst still missing the main issue.

Einstein's Theory of Relativity (ToR) is wrong. We have known this for the thick end of 80 years. It is a "classical" (meaning pre-quantum) theory and cannot be reconciled with the (more correct) quantum view of the universe.

At this point, we all need to take a philosophical point of view - does this mean that the theory (ToR) is "wrong", or that it is "basically true" but that there is a deeper theory that we should continue to look for.

When NASA (or anyone else) launches probes to the planets, they rely on Newton rather than Einstein, because it is far easier to work with and the discrepancies are utterly trivial. This does not show that Newton is any more or less (it is less) true than Einstein - it shows that it is a theory that we can work with and gets our probes to where we need them - within the required remit, it works.

As for the Large Hadron (not Hedron!) Collider (noting that Hadron is derived from the Greek and implies a particle with a particualr property that we call "mass") and the suggestion that this is still trying to find the evicence that the Big Bnag actually occurred, I would simply point the OP to Penzias and Wilson, which settled that debate over 40 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery ... _radiation.

Again, going back to the question of whether our theories are only "current" or "final", I would direct the OP to Dreams Of A Final Theory (https://www.amazon.com/Dreams-Final-The ... 0679744088) by the Noble prize winning Steven Weinberg. This is, in truth, more of a polemic than a book, but get your head around that first before you start trying to post threads about a lack of a possble "final" theory.

Back in busines!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Got a copy of Dreams of a final Theory on order off Ebay £3.75 2nd hand.

Thanks for the tip. Paul.

Paul,

For £3.75 you're not going to lose a lot.

As I say, it is a polemic (bemoaning the USA's decision not to build a huge collider and let Europe take the lead with the LHC - the US dug half the tunnels then pulled the plug).

It does, however, dig into the question of whether there IS a "final theory" or whether we are just peeling an onion, with deeper and deeper truths going down forever (at higher energy levels).

Looking at the history, each time we put more BHP into our experiments we find new things: will this go on forever? The answer (it seems to me) must be "no" - there must be a fundamental set of indivisable particles, beyond which we cannot go. There, if anywhere, lies the fundamental truth.

(If you want to go off piste, try "Disturbing the Universe" by Freeman Dyson. You won't learn any fundamental truths, but you might learn a bit about how science works: possibly the best book I ever read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disturbing-Uni ... e+universe

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 am 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Fins and others,

You call and I will come!

JazzB makes some interesting and valid points, whilst still missing the main issue.

Einstein's Theory of Relativity (ToR) is wrong. We have known this for the thick end of 80 years. It is a "classical" (meaning pre-quantum) theory and cannot be reconciled with the (more correct) quantum view of the universe.

At this point, we all need to take a philosophical point of view - does this mean that the theory (ToR) is "wrong", or that it is "basically true" but that there is a deeper theory that we should continue to look for.

When NASA (or anyone else) launches probes to the planets, they rely on Newton rather than Einstein, because it is far easier to work with and the discrepancies are utterly trivial. This does not show that Newton is any more or less (it is less) true than Einstein - it shows that it is a theory that we can work with and gets our probes to where we need them - within the required remit, it works.

As for the Large Hadron (not Hedron!) Collider (noting that Hadron is derived from the Greek and implies a particle with a particualr property that we call "mass") and the suggestion that this is still trying to find the evicence that the Big Bnag actually occurred, I would simply point the OP to Penzias and Wilson, which settled that debate over 40 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery ... _radiation.

Again, going back to the question of whether our theories are only "current" or "final", I would direct the OP to Dreams Of A Final Theory (https://www.amazon.com/Dreams-Final-The ... 0679744088) by the Noble prize winning Steven Weinberg. This is, in truth, more of a polemic than a book, but get your head around that first before you start trying to post threads about a lack of a possble "final" theory.

Back in busines!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Got a copy of Dreams of a final Theory on order off Ebay £3.75 2nd hand.

Thanks for the tip. Paul.

Paul,

For £3.75 you're not going to lose a lot.

As I say, it is a polemic (bemoaning the USA's decision not to build a huge collider and let Europe take the lead with the LHC - the US dug half the tunnels then pulled the plug).

It does, however, dig into the question of whether there IS a "final theory" or whether we are just peeling an onion, with deeper and deeper truths going down forever (at higher energy levels).

Looking at the history, each time we put more BHP into our experiments we find new things: will this go on forever? The answer (it seems to me) must be "no" - there must be a fundamental set of indivisable particles, beyond which we cannot go. There, if anywhere, lies the fundamental truth.

(If you want to go off piste, try "Disturbing the Universe" by Freeman Dyson. You won't learn any fundamental truths, but you might learn a bit about how science works: possibly the best book I ever read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disturbing-Uni ... e+universe

Dave

Hi Dave I'll try this first I'm not a great reader. did you see these TED talks I listed above? be interested in your opinion.

https://www.ted.com/recommends?gclid=Cj ... EALw_wcB#/

I just think they're interesting & easy to understand rather than reading.

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 pm 

Current ride: XB9R
JazzB,

We all learn in different ways.

I learn by banging my head against text and working out what it means (for a living, I bang my head against Finance Acts and Pensions Acts and all the supporting Regulations and interpret it for our clients - this is how I earn a living).

The whole world (in my work environment) can hinge on the placement of a particular comma. For work, then, I have to read very precisely. This is what I do and how I learn. All day, I bang my head against "text".

Most people don't do "text" (which is good, or I'd be out of a job!). I, on the ther hand, tend to drift off whenever anyone tries to "talk" to me. Any "on-line lecture" will probably bore the pants off me (I'll read the transcript but don't talk to me).

I will, however, dive into the TED talks and see where they go.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 am 

JazzB,

We all learn in different ways.

I learn by banging my head against text and working out what it means (for a living, I bang my head against Finance Acts and Pensions Acts and all the supporting Regulations and interpret it for our clients - this is how I earn a living).

The whole world (in my work environment) can hinge on the placement of a particular comma. For work, then, I have to read very precisely. This is what I do and how I learn. All day, I bang my head against "text".

Most people don't do "text" (which is good, or I'd be out of a job!). I, on the ther hand, tend to drift off whenever anyone tries to "talk" to me. Any "on-line lecture" will probably bore the pants off me (I'll read the transcript but don't talk to me).

I will, however, dive into the TED talks and see where they go.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Direct opposites then,

I will persevere with books but find them hard going.

Ted Talks are short usually & to the point, you just have to find one with the point your'e after ha ha. & only twenty minutes usually pretty concise dealing with one or two concepts usually that's enough for me in one go.

Let me know what you think. if you don't mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:40 pm 

Current ride: The wife
20 minutes of reading is the optimum length of time regarding comprehension and absorption of a particular subject

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:58 pm 

Finmows wrote:
20 minutes of reading is the optimum length of time regarding comprehension and absorption of a particular subject

On the other hand this is easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ztlIAYTCU

All the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Finmows wrote:

On the other hand this is easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ztlIAYTCU

All the best.

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJi3_znm7ZE

At last someone to back up the design that was on that little bit of paper I put under my tongue.

I wondered why space & time had little relevance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:15 pm 

Ah!... chemical enhancements, for those that have difficulty dealing with reality

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 pm 

Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
Finmows wrote:

dunno i can read books for hours , some authors can take you on incredible journeys of the mind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm 

Nutah wrote:
Finmows wrote:

dunno i can read books for hours , some authors can take you on incredible journeys of the mind

Ah yes, i agree there....but I was referring to academic reading ;)

[ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1214 Next