Last visit was: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 am It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 pm 

Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
me not that educammationed Adam ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 am 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Nutah wrote:
:mrgreen:

Now he began to see for the first time the unbelievable magnitude of what man, when he gained power to understand and rule the world in terms of dialectic truths, had lost. He had built empires of scientific capability to manipulate the phenomena of nature into enormous manifestations of his own dreams of power and wealth—but for this he had exchanged an empire of understanding of equal magnitude: an understanding of what it is to be a part of the world, and not an enemy of it.

Robert M Pirsig (The art of motorcycle maintenance).

Me no that edumacationed either heh heh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 am 

“Having solved all the major mathematical, physical, chemical, biological, sociological, philosophical, etymological, meteorological and psychological problems of the Universe except for his own, three times over, [Marvin] was severely stuck for something to do, and had taken up composing short dolorous ditties of no tone, or indeed tune. The latest one was a lullaby.
Marvin droned,
Now the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won't engulf my head,
I can see in infrared,
How I hate the night.
He paused to gather the artistic and emotional strength to tackle the next verse.
Now I lay me down to sleep,
Try to count electric sheep,
Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.”
― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am 

Nutah wrote:
“Having solved all the major mathematical, physical, chemical, biological, sociological, philosophical, etymological, meteorological and psychological problems of the Universe except for his own, three times over, [Marvin] was severely stuck for something to do, and had taken up composing short dolorous ditties of no tone, or indeed tune. The latest one was a lullaby.
Marvin droned,
Now the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won't engulf my head,
I can see in infrared,
How I hate the night.
He paused to gather the artistic and emotional strength to tackle the next verse.
Now I lay me down to sleep,
Try to count electric sheep,
Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.”

Ha ha. Quote time ahoy.

“Time is the worst place, so to speak, to get lost in, as Arthur Dent could testify, having been lost in both time and space a good deal. At least being lost in space kept you busy.”

Have a great day Nutah. Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:00 pm 

Nutah wrote:
me not that educammationed Adam ;)

Me neither, I've only just started reading it :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:19 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
I never read Pratchet, and only snippets from TBoTD, but this forum is one of my main intellectual stimulli these days. Work stopped being that several years ago. :roll:

Philosophy is ok, but won’t get you there! I met a chap who knew the person who invented LSD. He was travelling (and tripping) as a passenger in a car with some friends. As they climbed a hill on a country road he had an out of body experience and flew above the car while it continued along the road. Over the hill he could see a serious road accident into which he and his friends would surely collide with as they went over the rise. He returned to his body to tell the driver to slow and stop as there was a bad smash ahead. Sure enough as they went over the hill they saw the crashed cars. His friends just freaked that he had predicted a crash and saved them. :shock:

It is such remote viewing, or displacement of consciousnesss that intreague me most. I have also had a few vivid premonitions myself. Perhaps we can see ‘ahead’ but not ‘be ahead’ as in the Shrodingers Cat? Experiment. But l like to speculate. What if we cannot go there, but maybe ‘piggy back’ a ride there. Be inside a kind of Faraday cage that is inside a field of particles that can be elsewhere!? Like the scene from Dune in which the scout ships go into an ark, the spice mutated Navigators fold space and the ark re-materialises billions of miles distant. 8-) From dreams we make........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:40 am 

Edd read some Terry Pratchet , disc world series,
funny,thought provoking,sarcasm all rolled up with great characters & stories ...
or science of the discworld i think you will enjoy the interesting paradox :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 pm 

edd wrote:
I never read Pratchet, and only snippets from TBoTD, but this forum is one of my main intellectual stimulli these days. Work stopped being that several years ago. :roll:

Philosophy is ok, but won’t get you there! I met a chap who knew the person who invented LSD. He was travelling (and tripping) as a passenger in a car with some friends. As they climbed a hill on a country road he had an out of body experience and flew above the car while it continued along the road. Over the hill he could see a serious road accident into which he and his friends would surely collide with as they went over the rise. He returned to his body to tell the driver to slow and stop as there was a bad smash ahead. Sure enough as they went over the hill they saw the crashed cars. His friends just freaked that he had predicted a crash and saved them. :shock:

It is such remote viewing, or displacement of consciousnesss that intreague me most. I have also had a few vivid premonitions myself. Perhaps we can see ‘ahead’ but not ‘be ahead’ as in the Shrodingers Cat? Experiment. But l like to speculate. What if we cannot go there, but maybe ‘piggy back’ a ride there. Be inside a kind of Faraday cage that is inside a field of particles that can be elsewhere!? Like the scene from Dune in which the scout ships go into an ark, the spice mutated Navigators fold space and the ark re-materialises billions of miles distant. 8-) From dreams we make........

Hi Edd,

Philosophy won't get you there?
Where is there Edd? Can you give a bit more detail on the the "THERE" you don't think Philosophy will get you to.
(Just my opinion again) but your tripping friend probably had an "out of body" experience brought on by LSD, I don't think this could be called a premonition.

(My own opinion again) Displacement of consciousness? Will depend on what you think consciousness is I guess. I think that if anyone thinks they are conscious, that they will find that this is an "ego state" as they are defining something about what they think they are, singularly as one person (EGO).

Listen Edd, Seriously.
Real paradoxical thinking can bring extreme anxiety & can also open the doors to serious mental health problems. My advice for what it's worth, is stay away from that way of thinking. You can lose touch with what you think you are, if you're not careful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:29 pm 

[quote="Jazzbutcher"]

(My own opinion again) Displacement of consciousness? Will depend on what you think consciousness is I guess. I think that if anyone thinks they are conscious, that they will find that this is an "ego state" as they are defining something about what they think they are, singularly as one person (EGO).

This is, more or less, what Plato stated. I forget which book it's in, but it's one of the first texts that Philosophy Undergraduates are told to read.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:32 pm 

Adam wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

This is, more or less, what Plato stated. I forget which book it's in, but it's one of the first texts that Philosophy Undergraduates are told to read.

Ok, Plato says, sounds better than my opinion ha ha.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:44 pm 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
is this Plato guy any relation to Jason Plato the racing driver ?
did find this book, not sure if its the one your thinking of ,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Plato- ... 1846683068

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:31 pm 

:rotfl: That's the boy. He used to wear a Nomex sheet around him lOl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:17 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:

It is such remote viewing, or displacement of consciousnesss that intreague me most. I have also had a few vivid premonitions myself. Perhaps we can see ‘ahead’ but not ‘be ahead’ as in the Shrodingers Cat? Experiment. But l like to speculate. What if we cannot go there, but maybe ‘piggy back’ a ride

there. Be inside a kind of Faraday cage that is inside a field of particles that can be elsewhere!? Like the scene from Dune in which the scout ships go into an ark, the spice mutated Navigators fold space and the ark re-materialises billions of miles distant. 8-) From dreams we make........

Hi Edd,

Where is there Edd? Can you give a bit more detail on the the "THERE" you don't think Philosophy will get you to.
(Just my opinion again) but your tripping friend probably had an "out of body" experience brought on by LSD, I don't think this could be called a premonition.

Listen Edd, Seriously.
Real paradoxical thinking can bring extreme anxiety & can also open the doors to serious mental health problems. My advice for what it's worth, is stay away from that way of thinking. You can lose touch with what you think you are, if you're not careful.

I think you have misunderstood me, or l am just poor at explaining my thoughts!? :roll:

My friend DID have an out of body experience not a premonition. I was not saying these are the same, but the same or similar quantum mechanics may be at play.

Displacement of consciousness as a term just brings into question where the seat of consciousness actually lies. Whether you have an out of body experience, or are remote viewing, or are astral travelling, or experiencing a premonition, your perception is of information convention would suggest that you would have to be ‘elsewhere’ from your physical brain to be able to actually see! :? This is what l mean by elsewhere. But getting there, or going there in physical form by warping the fabric of space may be the only way mankind (or woman) can travel the mind numbing space between the stars, or even outer planets in any practical time scale. ;)

And no l have no problem think8ng along these lines as l have been doing this for most of my life.......maybe that’s why l am already barking mad! lOl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:15 am 

edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:

It is such remote viewing, or displacement of consciousnesss that intreague me most. I have also had a few vivid premonitions myself. Perhaps we can see ‘ahead’ but not ‘be ahead’ as in the Shrodingers Cat? Experiment. But l like to speculate. What if we cannot go there, but maybe ‘piggy back’ a ride

there. Be inside a kind of Faraday cage that is inside a field of particles that can be elsewhere!? Like the scene from Dune in which the scout ships go into an ark, the spice mutated Navigators fold space and the ark re-materialises billions of miles distant. 8-) From dreams we make........

Hi Edd,

Listen Edd, Seriously.

I think you have misunderstood me, or l am just poor at explaining my thoughts!? :roll:

My friend DID have an out of body experience not a premonition. I was not saying these are the same, but the same or similar quantum mechanics may be at play.

Displacement of consciousness as a term just brings into question where the seat of consciousness actually lies. Whether you have an out of body experience, or are remote viewing, or are astral travelling, or experiencing a premonition, your perception is of information convention would suggest that you would have to be ‘elsewhere’ from your physical brain to be able to actually see! :? This is what l mean by elsewhere. But getting there, or going there in physical form by warping the fabric of space may be the only way mankind (or woman) can travel the mind numbing space between the stars, or even outer planets in any practical time scale. ;)

And no l have no problem think8ng along these lines as l have been doing this for most of my life.......maybe that’s why l am already barking mad! lOl

Hi Edd,
Language & words are the problem with this kind of subject.
(Just my opinion again) and I may be quoting here again and make no excuses for regurgitating stuff that has been thought & talked about for centuries. Lets be clear here, we only have 26 letters in our alphabet & there's only so many ways you can mix them up.
Anyway I'm totally sure that Space, Time, Science, Philosophy and the rest of that stuff are totally conceptual, made up by us to explain something we clearly don't understand.
Mind is also something we just made up, it's a name for something that simply confuses reality by thinking it knows what it's talking about. (My opinion again) but conscience is not in the mind, mind has bugger all to do with except making it conceptual. (Imagination)
I'm really glad that you confirmed you're ok with this stuff, I've been like this since I was eight & was informed about atoms. Although purely conceptual again, that information simply blew me away.
This type thinking has gotten me into lots of trouble in the past with experimentation & with paradoxical thinking, that's why I was asking if you were ok with this. Sounds to me like you are.
I would go into a lot more detail but I'm not sure that this forum is the place for that.
So Edd, I will offer this again. This is also an offer open to anyone else who may have browsed & were interested. Pm me if you want to continue this via personal email, my personal experiences are not going to be open to public scrutiny and as far as I'm concerned this is about as far as I am willing to go within this format.
I am now done with this thread, Thanks for the interest & comments folks. It's been interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:11 am 

Adam wrote:
:rotfl: That's the boy. He used to wear a Nomex sheet around him lOl

is he the one who stole fire from the gods ?
i thought that was Fingers Mazda....
"Fingers-Mazda, the first thief in the world, stole fire from the gods. But he was unable to fence it. It was too hot.†

†He got really burned on that deal. "

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

[ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next