Last visit was: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 am It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Santa Pod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:00 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Folks,
New year brings new ambitions for Santa Pod.
Although my 1125r runs perfectly well for road riding & is economical & speedy enough, it just isn't fast enough to do decent times at Santa Pod.
With this in mind & how long it has taken me to sort the bike to where it currently stands, I don't want to screw this up. So my plan for this year is to use what I already have & only change the exhaust & ECM for Speed.
To this end one of my spare ECM's has just gone to Twin Motorcycles to get a tune for their Torque Hammer exhaust & mid pipes which I'll purchase also when they tell me the ECM is tuned correctly.
Not a cheap option but a very simple one & if I prefer the bike like this (not sure why I won't) I can run it like this. If I decide to tour, I can simply stick the Remus & it's suited ECU back on to get the economy & road riding capability back again.
Or I can sell the Remus with the ECM to run it so who ever gets it won't have to mess around trying to get it to run correctly & that will provide funds for some other mods.
I did look at other exhaust & ECM options but the Torque Hammer & Twin Motorcycles service came out well on top.
So hopefully Santa Pod will be a bit more exciting this year as I should see a decent gain on my current lacklustre 13.5 seconds.
The ride there should be a damn fine experience also by all accounts.
https://rwyb.co.uk/dates.php
Anyone else fancy a go or just coming down to watch? I know Gusm will be at a few, I'm going to try to start in March if everything's done & running correctly by then.
All the best folks whatever you're up to. JB

Post subject: Re: Santa Pod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:11 pm 

Serious question, exactly why do you expect such a change to yield a significant result? Expecially over (I assume) a quarter mile? Are you going to dyno test before and after the new kit? Wouldn't a couple of hours on a dyno with a wideband O2 meter be expected to yield at least as good results? (Clarification, I know next to sod all about fuel infection systems).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:47 pm 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
See if you can get in touch with battyone ( Nigel )once of this Parrish. He used to drag race 1125s with excellent results. Though these were long swing arm locked suspension Wheely bar set ups. Though you're not going to that lever he may be able to point you in the right direction to successful cost effective engine and cooling mods.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm 

03 wrote:
Serious question, exactly why do you expect such a change to yield a significant result? Expecially over (I assume) a quarter mile? Are you going to dyno test before and after the new kit? Wouldn't a couple of hours on a dyno with a wideband O2 meter be expected to yield at least as good results? (Clarification, I know next to sod all about fuel infection systems).

Hi "03" Serious answer, The Torque Hammer Exhaust & ECM are already Dyno tested for this particular purpose. I could also dyno test but I know what my 1125r is capable of at the present time & not that interested in power or acceleration for road use.
I'm also shit with ECM's & at this point am still not able to make adjustments on my own without fear of chucking an ECM in the bin.
Any improvements with this New exhaust & ECM on the drag strip will really govern what I'm willing to spend on the Dyno if anything, but the guys at Twin MC's seem to know what they're talking about & have history with these tunes & their exhaust.
Hopefully after this expense I should have two completely different bikes, or that's my hope.
Not fancy a go yourself? JB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 pm 

DaveH wrote:
See if you can get in touch with battyone ( Nigel )once of this Parrish. He used to drag race 1125s with excellent results. Though these were long swing arm locked suspension Wheely bar set ups. Though you're not going to that lever he may be able to point you in the right direction to successful cost effective engine and cooling mods.

Hi Dave, I have spent many months experimenting with the cooling system to get it working better & am still modifying it further. The problem with my method is experimentation as it takes mistakes etc for me to get things right but usually it eventually works & is my own method. I do listen to ideas & always consider what anyone suggests but no-one else seems to have cooling problems with their 1125r's. The stuff I'm doing now is to transfer the heat from the rear exhaust headers & guide it through the frame without it hitting the frame head on like it does at the moment.
My inspiration for the drag strip other than Gums & his 10 second's, is Littlebutquick's drag run of 9.6 & although I will probably never get to that without a quickshifter & other mods, especially my Drag racing technique, but I'm pretty sure I will be able to improve this year.
Seriously though what else is there to aspire to when your 62 & can't be bothered to stick your jacket on to take the 1125r to the shops as it feels like too much trouble for anything less than a 50 miles.
Thanks for your attention. JB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:30 pm 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
03 wrote:

Hi "03" Serious answer, The Torque Hammer Exhaust & ECM are already Dyno tested for this particular purpose. I could also dyno test but I know what my 1125r is capable of at the present time & not that interested in power or acceleration for road use.
I'm also shit with ECM's & at this point am still not able to make adjustments on my own without fear of chucking an ECM in the bin.
Any improvements with this New exhaust & ECM on the drag strip will really govern what I'm willing to spend on the Dyno if anything, but the guys at Twin MC's seem to know what they're talking about & have history with these tunes & their exhaust.
Hopefully after this expense I should have two completely different bikes, or that's my hope.

(My bold and red) Absolutely not, no. Everyone else would lose interest waiting for me to get to the other end of the 1/4 mile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 pm 

03 wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
03 wrote:

(My bold and red) Absolutely not, no. Everyone else would lose interest waiting for me to get to the other end of the 1/4 mile.

It's just a good day out, no-one but ourselves gives a shit about times, it's the fact that everyone is there to try. No-one looked weird at me for trying, just encouraged me to try again & to bear particular things in mind. Does drag a bit when you're waiting around though but then you can just have a crack with the guy waiting next to you. Can't wait to get Gusm side by side, but no doubt he'll blow me away like most of the other bikes I was up against. All my attention was on not stalling, got to learn to take off in the rev band & keep it there. Just come along & have a look at what goes on?
All the best JB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:59 pm 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
My plan is to make a rwyb this year. See you out there!

Out of interest...did you not look at the APH system and map??

Thats where my money would be going.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 pm 

Kiwi wrote:

Hi Kiwi,

It would be great if you let me know when you fancy going & I'll try to get there at the same time as there are quite a few events & I'm not sure which ones I'll be doing yet.
I'll probably try to link up with Gusm & the times he's going as I haven't met him yet & he's the man as far as drag racing goes on this forum.
It's also quite expensive so I definitely will only be doing a few at most, in saying that it's cheap for a cracking day out but as always I struggle for ready cash.
My vinyl record collection has & still is severely under threat with raising the cash for this purchase & my new interest, so I didn't make my choice lightly.
I chose the Torque Hammer exhaust & ECU Tune based mainly on their history in this field with 1125r's & the availability of evidence supporting this. I also like the style better than most others which is a bonus as I'm going to have to live with it.
Hope to see you at Santa Pod at some point in the future, It's a great day out.
All the best. JB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 pm 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Just looking at the dates and they are all weekends... Didnt they used to have weekday events??

I am liking the look of these straightliner days! All over the country but the East Kirkby one looks good. Cheap camping next door and a cheap pub with food too.

I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:01 am 

Current ride: Xt500 , 1125 CR
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

Hi Kiwi,

It would be great if you let me know when you fancy going & I'll try to get there at the same time as there are quite a few events & I'm not sure which ones I'll be doing yet.
I'll probably try to link up with Gusm & the times he's going as I haven't met him yet & he's the man as far as drag racing goes on this forum.
It's also quite expensive so I definitely will only be doing a few at most, in saying that it's cheap for a cracking day out but as always I struggle for ready cash.
My vinyl record collection has & still is severely under threat with raising the cash for this purchase & my new interest, so I didn't make my choice lightly.
I chose the Torque Hammer exhaust & ECU Tune based mainly on their history in this field with 1125r's & the availability of evidence supporting this. I also like the style better than most others which is a bonus as I'm going to have to live with it.
Hope to see you at Santa Pod at some point in the future, It's a great day out.
All the best. JB

Count me in to cheer you on .....as long as its sunny...🤣

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:26 am 

Thanks Steve,
That's very good of you, always a pleasure to meet up with you.
Nobottle to try it?
All the best JB.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 am 

Torque Hammer 2 with mid pipes & ECM en route.
Wife doesn't know yet, anyone got a spare room for a couple of days heh heh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:02 pm 

Loose fitted for now, clamps etc tomorrow.
All the best JB

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 pm 

Fully fitted Torque Hammer & ECM. Love it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next