Last visit was: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:34 am It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject: Re: WOT ARE YOUR PLANS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:19 pm 

Current ride: S1`s
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Nice one Topgumm, :yup:
No idea what it is, but it looks close enough for me.
There's no point buying it if you can make it in a few hours especially if the weather's shit. :worthy:
All the best & keep those files moving. JB

Holds the carb on and air filter in place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:53 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Nice job. :yup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:38 am 

Current ride: XB9SX
Just a cautionary note in case anyone follows my notes on tweaking my Walker record deck.

As it was working with cells cut under the arm board filled with plaster of Paris, although resolution of detail was good, the sound was a little bright and hard in the upper midrange. I decided to try and push the envelope by cutting out the plaster and putting wood filler into 4 of the cells each side of the arm mounting. This made things much worse being thinner and more glassy! :?

I reasoned that a change of direction was needed so l cut out the filler and tried liquid latex. You have to paint or dab this in thin layers. On the third layer l just poured in a 2mm layer. This may take a month to set, but it will always be soft and flexible. Result; works a treat. So the neutralising agent for the sonic limitations of MDF would appear to be ‘rubber’. ;) A few blobs or patches planted strategically under any MDF arm board may work wonders? 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:34 pm 

Current ride: 1999 X1
edd wrote:
Just a cautionary note in case anyone follows my notes on tweaking my Walker record deck.

As it was working with cells cut under the arm board filled with plaster of Paris, although resolution of detail was good, the sound was a little bright and hard in the upper midrange. I decided to try and push the envelope by cutting out the plaster and putting wood filler into 4 of the cells each side of the arm mounting. This made things much worse being thinner and more glassy! :?

I reasoned that a change of direction was needed so l cut out the filler and tried liquid latex. You have to paint or dab this in thin layers. On the third layer l just poured in a 2mm layer. This may take a month to set, but it will always be soft and flexible. Result; works a treat. So the neutralising agent for the sonic limitations of MDF would appear to be ‘rubber’. ;) A few blobs or patches planted strategically under any MDF arm board may work wonders? 8-)

Makes sense to me. Like loudspeakers, many listeners become accustomed to the resonance of a component having a sonic impact on the total system. What you did wasn't neutralizing so much as storing energy to be released later. Unless the rubber is damped my another means, it will store energy and release it like a rubber bouncy ball or the wiggly-ness of jello. Capturing a resonance then releasing it a little later is what gives the fullness you missed. It's like a delay or reverb or even double tracking to add thickness.

Much like loudspeakers sounding looser, a TT will sound fuller because resonance affects every other piece of that component, even causing the needle in the cartridge to move further in its travel side to side, making the needle move in such a way that it adds taller wavelengths in the mid to low mids (where the arm board's natural resonant peak is), giving the listener the classic warmth they're accustomed to. Dampen those resonances and you make everything thing sound tighter because you removed the inaccuracies caused by consequences of mechanical design at a price point.

We had this discussion with the speakers in "that other thread" when you guys were trying to tune your speaker stands. Its the component resonances that give the warmth all analog junkies crave. Hence for true addicts, why they have multiple arms for different music types. It's the one thing you can't really do with digital content beyond an eq....tune to taste.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:20 pm 

Current ride: A black one
Location: Wales. The land of dragons, welshcakes and full reservoirs.
TOPGUMM wrote:
Too wet to lay bricks so made a part I need.

Looks a bit Mickey Mouse to me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:14 pm 

Laid 100 bricks today lOl :sun:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:04 pm 

TOPGUMM wrote:

Bless....you might want to moderate your diet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 pm 

Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
:rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:51 pm 

:headbang: :dance:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 pm 

x1glider wrote:

Much like loudspeakers sounding looser, a TT will sound fuller because resonance affects every other piece of that component, even causing the needle in the cartridge to move further in its travel side to side, making the needle move in such a way that it adds taller wavelengths in the mid to low mids (where the arm board's natural resonant peak is), giving the listener the classic warmth they're accustomed to. Dampen those resonances and you make everything thing sound tighter because you removed the inaccuracies caused by consequences of mechanical design at a price point.

Agreed, (st risk of starting a hi-fi thread. lOl ), but those movements are minute and vocals ARE cleaner with the latex. The deck is still relatively lightweight compared to the big hitters. My Roksan can sound relatively lean in the bass, but that may be because the deck is so open sounding and goes much higher with an arm and cartridge of that callibre, ie if you put it through a mixer and deleted the highs, the bass would be there. I think the Walker had deeper bass just with plain 3/4 in MDF, but detail resolution increased when l cut circular cells underneath and put various fillers in. Voices are amazingly clear with plaster filler. I could hear background sounds in the mix that were inaudible before, but that wears a bit thin if the bass is too muted.
Roksan replaced MDF as the arm board on it’s top end decks years ago. I forget what the material used now is called. Many other companies are also using composite acrylics, damped alloys, etc. As you say rubber can enhance bass, while cork cleans up treble. Roksan also offer fitting large solid brass weights into the TMS 3 chassis as an upgrade, which they claim increases the signal to noise ratio? :? I tried this with the Walker, but my weights are still hollow. I plan to fill them with ball bearings or something. I may also copy Roksan’s kit and get some heavy brass weights milled for my Xerxes chassis. ;)

Good news is that my old dealer now stocks Vertere Accoustics designed by Touraj the founder of
Roksan and he is a regular visitor. Hopefully l can pick his brains again someday. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:27 pm 

x1glider wrote:
resonance affects every other piece of that component, even causing the needle in the cartridge to move further in its travel side to side, making the needle move in such a way that it adds taller wavelengths in the mid to low mids..........removed the inaccuracies caused by consequences of mechanical design at a price point.

As you say; at a price point. To a point. At the other end of the price scale you can expect the removal of practically all resonance to prevent unwanted movement of the stylus for maximum effect. eg Technics SL-1000R at £14,000. :shock: A mass of alloy, Muzak and tungsten weighing in at over 40kgs, and comes with an advisory instruction for two persons to lift it into position. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:44 am 

Current ride: The wife
Dusty wrote:
TOPGUMM wrote:

Bless....you might want to moderate your diet

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 pm 

Curved wall to path for bikes/wheelchair to go into self contained bedsit under house . :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 pm 

All you need now is bent bike https://images.app.goo.gl/ZUAcAWiQCtFr6nTH7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 pm 

TOPGUMM wrote:
Curved wall to path for bikes/wheelchair to go into self contained bedsit under house . :shock:

I’ll send my partner round in her wheel chair to test ride that corner! lOl

[ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next