Last visit was: Sat May 30, 2020 7:08 am It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 7:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3
 Post subject: Re: Film
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:00 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
Has anyone here watched ‘Ad Astra’ yet and is it worth buying on DVD at £9.99? :?

Hi Edd,
Totally subjective but I saw it when it was at the flicks & wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw it again. I have a digital copy & haven't watched it since, Interstellar on the other hand, I have, a couple of times as that involved me in some interesting concepts, unlike Ad Astra which was a bit of a non event.

Thanks Paul. Yes l’ve watched Interstellar again for the interesting concepts. ;) Critics have given Ad Astra 5 stars over and over, which may say more about the critics than anything!

Critics also loved Gravity, which was ok, but they didn’t spot a major technical flaw in that film. They were so in love with the cast! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:20 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
Has anyone here watched ‘Ad Astra’ yet and is it worth buying on DVD at £9.99? :?

Hi Edd,
Totally subjective but I saw it when it was at the flicks & wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw it again. I have a digital copy & haven't watched it since, Interstellar on the other hand, I have, a couple of times as that involved me in some interesting concepts, unlike Ad Astra which was a bit of a non event.

Thanks Paul. Yes l’ve watched Interstellar again for the interesting concepts. ;) Critics have given Ad Astra 5 stars over and over, which may say more about the critics than anything!

Critics also loved Gravity, which was ok, but they didn’t spot a major technical flaw in that film. They were so in love with the cast! :roll:

Big cast no story.

I watched "Approaching the Unknown" in which f**k all happened for the duration of the film (just one man in a Capsule on his way to Mars), but it was more interesting than either mainly because of the deep psychological storyline. Action movies tend to forget this aspect and get factual stuff wrong on the basis that action is what the film's about. Can still be highly entertaining if they don't pretend to be anything else though, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:10 pm 

Yes, another odd film that shows on free view occasionally is ‘Astronaut - The Next Step’. Minimal and mostly one man in a capsule to Venus and back with a video messaging link to earth. It’s quite haunting towards the end with a trippy electronic tune to play out the credits! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:24 pm 

Current ride: The wife
;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 am 

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyone seen a film called "Moon"?
Again, not a lot of action but what a great story.
Got myself a copy of an old sci fi classic today "Dark Star", 1970's & really of it's time but nice to find. There were a couple of others out around the same time which were also pretty good one of them was a space cruiser with the last greenhouses of Earth & silly little wobbly robots, I'm pretty sure it was called "Silent Running".
Of course by the end of the 70's "Alien" had turned Sci Fi on it's head by introducing intense horror into the plot.
Not Sci Fi but another one to look out for is "Plague Dogs", it's a cartoon!
Huh, I hear you say, but it made my wife cry for three days & sometimes still now if I mention "Snitter or Ralph". A cartoon but seriously not for kids or my wife by all accounts, still got it on my hard drive though. it may have been by the guy who did Watership Down.
Anyway. Stay well everyone. JB

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm 

Jazzbutcher wrote:

Got myself a copy of an old sci fi classic today "Dark Star", 1970's & really of it's time but nice to find. There were a couple of others out around the same time which were also pretty good one of them was a space cruiser with the last greenhouses of Earth & silly little wobbly robots, I'm pretty sure it was called "Silent Running".
Of course by the end of the 70's "Alien" had turned Sci Fi on it's head by introducing intense horror into the plot.
Huh, I hear you say, but it made my wife cry for three days & sometimes still now if I mention "Snitter or Ralph". A cartoon but seriously not for kids or my wife by all accounts, still got it on my hard drive though. it may have been by the guy who did Watership Down.

l read critical reviews saying that Moon was good, but haven’t seen it yet.

:? Agreed; Dark Star is a cult movie favourite not to be missed over and over. 8-)

Ah yes! Silent Running with Bruce Dern and his little wobbly robot friends Huey and Doey. I don’t remember the third robots name who got blown away in some cosmic storm!? :?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 pm 

edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

:? Agreed; Dark Star is a cult movie favourite not to be missed over and over. 8-)

Ah yes! Silent Running with Bruce Dern and his little wobbly robot friends Huey and Doey. I don’t remember the third robots name who got blown away in some cosmic storm!? :?

Yeah, funny as it is, I got very attached to those little wobbly robots. Huey & Doey :rotfl: :rotfl: how did you remember their names? As soon as I read it I though oh yeah that was them :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

Yeah, funny as it is, I got very attached to those little wobbly robots. Huey & Doey :rotfl: :rotfl: how did you remember their names? As soon as I read it I though oh yeah that was them :rotfl:

I think that l first saw Silent Running at an impressionable age. I remember it was at my Gran’s and despite not getting sci-fi at all, she thought the robots were cute. lOl

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 am 

Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
...Huey Dewey & Lewy :sun: Silent Running a great old film

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:39 am 

Oh fuckin Jesus...this place has turned into a "space cadet" academy :roll: ;) lOl

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am 

Aliens & Terminator Judgement day best ever sci fi sequels, anyone know any better ones? JB

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:41 am 

Finmows wrote:
Oh fuckin Jesus...this place has turned into a "space cadet" academy :roll: ;) lOl

Not quite Martin, I regularly watch Sooty and Sweep on YouTube. It's brilliant lOl

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 am 

Adam wrote:
I regularly watch Sooty and Sweep on YouTube. It's brilliant lOl

Don't you watch their daily live broadcasts on BBC1?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:02 am 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
would that be the Boris and Dominic show ? :roll:
getting to sound more like tellytubbies ...or should that be The clangers .

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 am 

Just finished watching a film called Dr Sleep, really excellent, two & a half hours long & not bored for a second. Supernatural horror & Sequel to The Shining, done very well indeed in my opinion.
Worth a watch if you're into that kind of film.
All the best. JB

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3