Last visit was: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 am It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7
 Post subject: Re: USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 pm 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
things look bad, over on your side of the pond , I was going to suggest doing things old school ways. but looks like your out of stock of them as well . :roll: link

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:51 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Sorry if l went off track a little! :?

Re your point X1 about failed social programs. I think you hit on a point often overlooked by architects of social reform; a basic fact of psychology is that there has always been a sector of society who have never owned property of any significant value and so are less likely to respect other people’s valued property. It follows that they will not respect community property either. :roll:

We used to call it ‘council house mentality’ here, but that was unfair as it was usually a problem minority who held an ‘attitude’ such as bloody council or bastard government who held the money tree!
But they would be first to ring up demanding their boiler be fixed or the toilet unblocked, cos they paid their rent.....even when they didn’t. :roll: Some here call them chavs (council house and violent), but some locals say it means ‘Cheltenham Average’ lOl It’s posh here, but only in posh areas. Although the town has pulled many areas up by their collective bootstraps over the last 20 years. ;)

The council did a scheme here some years ago where two streets on one estate became notorious for joy riders and a few tenants of ill repute. The scheme blocked off the streets to through traffic and demolished a number of houses to build newer design houses across where traffic and stolen cars once fled. Families were moved out, and the story l heard was that families with members who violated the terms of their ASBO (anti-social behaviour order) or who obtained an ASBO would not be housed there again with their friends and neighbours. I don’t know if that was officially true, but it seemed to work to the benefit of the majority. Stick and carrot!? But l suspect that these schemes work best in localised areas to create a sense of community pride. ;)

The psychology of giving cash to individuals does at least enable them to buy their own stake in society. If they own there own shit, they have to respect other people’s shit! Maybe! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 pm 

By the by! My washing machine motor has also packed up after 19 years! The local charity shops were doing ‘used low use refurbished’ machines for not much more than the price of a new motor, but those shops are shut. :roll: Well at least l can lean on my partner a bit for laundry service. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:53 pm 

Current ride: XB9R XB12Scg
After the usual congenial consumption of too many sherbets discussing wealth distribution, my son came up with a plan which I had to give some credit for. The idea was that instead of the Government handling all the money we pay them, you cut Government to an absolute minimum, and give a million pounds to hundreds of thousands of random people on the proviso it is spent altruistically. So you end up with a statistical distribution of support for the community broadly in line with the democratic wishes. When you're sober you can shoot more holes through it than a colander, but in principle I still agree it might be more effective than present government waste. :old:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 pm 

Ralph2 wrote:
After the usual congenial consumption of too many sherbets discussing wealth distribution, my son came up with a plan which I had to give some credit for. The idea was that instead of the Government handling all the money we pay them, you cut Government to an absolute minimum, and give a million pounds to hundreds of thousands of random people on the proviso it is spent altruistically. So you end up with a statistical distribution of support for the community broadly in line with the democratic wishes. When you're sober you can shoot more holes through it than a colander, but in principle I still agree it might be more effective than present government waste. :old:

Why not? Nothing the government does has ever been proved conclusively to have generated a healthier society than if they had done completely the opposite! lOl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 am 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
A lot easier using/spending somebody else’s money when you have big ideas/ plans, problem is it is our money as tax payers they are playing with .
With the effects of coronavirus on public transport ( nobody really feels safe using it , unless they really really have to ( big city))
Should we continue with HS2 rail or use the £80 billion somewhere else :eat:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Unfortunately the biggest problem with our government is us.
We don't hold them to account for anything and let them do whatever they want.
We're like a flock of little lost lambs.
If anyone thinks they do hold them to account, I'd like to know how you did it? just so I can do it as well.
Hope you all have a nice day. JB

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7