Last visit was: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 am It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: Perspective
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
I used to get what was called "The Strap" at School in Scotland, it was done in front of the rest of the class to amplify any shame. "Smarting" wasn't a word I'd use for that, the more adept teachers made it feel like having hydrocloric acid injected into your hands with a sledge hammer and the pain didn't let up for about half an hour.
What you're talking about Edd sound's like another film I saw involving Caning, it was called "you've been a very naughty boy" and all the teachers were women, didn't seem to be any walk of shame either and everyone looked to be having a great time. Not sure it would be a good idea to show it to kids though.
Have a nice day folks. JB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:05 pm 

Aye, the strap was inflicted by some proper sadists! Some of them (not the teachers!) were so stiff and thick they would stand on end. The trick was to try and lower your arm just as it struck but not enough to be noticed or you go an extra one! Happy days...

Wilier La Triestina
Scott CR1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 pm 

Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
It feels like the blm kick off has done more harm than good putting the cause back many years. Shit times.

And as for taking the knee - I have, often. Generally when adopting a fire position preferably behind hard cover before sending little lead lumps encased in copper or some such. Type of ammo dependant - happy days.

I’m lucky enough to have worked with and have friends from many nations, colours, shapes, religions and genders and like to think of my self as arseist. If you’re an arse you’re and arse the rest is irrelevant.

Things aren’t too bad in Scotland but I feel for those that lie in large cities where it’s all going mental. Good luck and stay safe.

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:08 pm 

Current ride: The wife
edd wrote:
You have weird friends! lOl

Some of them very weird lOl
It's down to "what floats ya boat" "rattles ya cage" "stirs ya juices"....it really isn't my "thing" but as the saying goes....the customer is always right ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
I used to get what was called "The Strap" at School in Scotland, it was done in front of the rest of the class to amplify any shame. "Smarting" wasn't a word I'd use for that, the more adept teachers made it feel like having hydrocloric acid injected into your hands with a sledge hammer and the pain didn't let up for about half an hour.
What you're talking about Edd sound's like another film I saw involving Caning, it was called "you've been a very naughty boy" and all the teachers were women, didn't seem to be any walk of shame either and everyone looked to be having a great time. Not sure it would be a good idea to show it to kids though.
Have a nice day folks. JB

Aye! As you say. My mother was from Lochgelly in Fife and loved to tell us about Scottish school discipline, which was tougher if anything than down south! It would have brought the youth of today in line......and given them a better sense of perspective! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:10 pm 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Coincidentally the correct name of the belt is the Lochgelly Tawse, I have painful memories also, I have also been drunk in Lochgelly many times in my younger days :old:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Yeah, that's the one, albeit a very posh one, made my hands tingle just seeing it.
The Police were also much more disciplinarian in Scotland, no jerking those guys around like down here, respect was expected & given. Don't know if that's changed but I never crossed them, ever, I liked my face too much. JB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 am 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Yeah, that's the one, albeit a very posh one, made my hands tingle just seeing it.
The Police were also much more disciplinarian in Scotland, no jerking those guys around like down here, respect was expected & given. Don't know if that's changed but I never crossed them, ever, I liked my face too much. JB

:yt: We lived in Helensborough 1966/67 and my first run in with police as an ‘errant wee laddy’ happened there. Scottish Police had the black/white check hat band and ‘panda cars’ a few years before the English bobbies. I felt safer (or more immune) when we moved back to England until the UK adoption of those patterns brought them home to me! lOl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:14 am 

....er, UKs universal adoption of those styles. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am 

Current ride: The wife
edd wrote:

With the exception of the "City of London" who have red and white cheques...they have the equally bad attitude though 👌👌👌👌👌(that is the emoji for wanker)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 pm 

Finmows wrote:
edd wrote:

With the exception of the "City of London" who have red and white cheques...they have the equally bad attitude though 👌👌👌👌👌(that is the emoji for wanker)?

After your post Finmows, I started reading about Sillitoe Tartan and the origins of dicing on UK police uniforms. You see how educational this forum can be! ;)

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2