Last visit was: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:28 pm It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Re: Dambuster's dog
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:35 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
SimonD wrote:
Really?

The name was just as offensive in the 1940s. It was a poorly judged "joke" even then.
War heros can be idiots too. It takes nothing away from what they gave for their country.

I thought that the word ‘nigger’ was just a derivative of the term negro, albeit often addressed to such people in a derogatory and unkind manner? :? I am only guessing, but I suspect that Guy Gibson used it innocently in describing the dark colour of his black Labrador dog and meant no offence to any negro person in this country at that time. Maybe there were very few people of Afro-carribean origin to be offended around his sphere of life at that time. :? Maybe he WAS just a racist. Who knows or cares? It’s just history now and should be left as such. Guy Gibson died for his country and so that snowflakes of today can do their thing without fear of persecution, or rather being goose stepped to a prison or a firing squad or a gas chamber for protesting. :old:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 pm 

Current ride: The wife
Dusty wrote:
And then there is the American Polish community who will no doubt be offended too

Don't forget the Aboriginals

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 pm 

Current ride: 1996 S2T, 2009 XB12X
edd wrote:
Guy Gibson died for his country and so that snowflakes of today can do their thing without fear of persecution, or rather being goose stepped to a prison or a firing squad or a gas chamber for protesting. :old:

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:17 am 

Only the middle classes with time on their hands are getting offended, most people who actually work for a living don`t even know about it or give a shit.

We need a class war, the colour of your skin will matter not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 am 

SimonD wrote:
edd wrote:
Guy Gibson died for his country and so that snowflakes of today can do their thing without fear of persecution, or rather being goose stepped to a prison or a firing squad or a gas chamber for protesting. :old:

:roll:

That’ll sounds a bit wrong? Maybe snowflakes should be goose stepped to somewhere! :twisted:

The only relevant question is; ‘was the dog offended when people called him Nigger?’...............No l didn’t think so either. :roll:

l’ll bet that the dog was probably just thinking; “mines a pint!”. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:27 am 

What's a snowflake?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:25 am 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
SimonD wrote:
What's a snowflake?

wiki
Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. :roll: :headbang:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:57 am 

:D

So the use of the term snowflake tends to indicate snowflakery?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:34 am 

Current ride: XB12XT
SimonD wrote:
Really?

The name was just as offensive in the 1940s. It was a poorly judged "joke" even then.

It may have been racist by current standards, but my Mum certainly used to call one shade of colour “nigger brown”. It was a standard phrase then and not intended as an insult. I can’t comment on how a brown person would have felt about that then.

In the movie, the name is used without venom. It’s just a name. Not that you can hear it, the BBC mutes it out now. “Black-washing?”

BTW just because I call someone black, doesn’t make me a racist. I call tall people tall, and fat people fat.

A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:33 pm 

I haven't suggested that anyone is racist or that the memorial should be changed. There's a lot going on right now that seems pretty pointless but digging your heels in trying to justify the use a term that was at best unpleasant at the time seems a bit daft.
My Dad was definitely a racist but even he never used that term. He did lots of good things for many people too.

Edd the snowflake, on the other hand, seems to have a special insight in to the workings of the mind of Gibson and his dog. I'm not sure if it is a family connection or ESP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:37 pm 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Its strange but a lot of black people actually call each other it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:22 pm 

SimonD wrote:
Edd the snowflake, on the other hand, seems to have a special insight in to the workings of the mind of Gibson and his dog. I'm not sure if it is a family connection or ESP.

Thanks for the compliment, but no special insight, just speculation and extrapolation from that famous film and what I have read. :roll: In the film Richard Todd calls to his dog in a good natured tone with no offence meant to others and I’m guessing the actor did his homework on the real character.

It’s also a well known fact by now that Gibson’s dog loved drinking beer from a pint glass in the pilots mess! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:39 pm 

Current ride: The wife
coco wrote:

And if they want the world to change they need to lead by example....therefore, when they stop calling each other it...I'll follow suit!

*EDIT*
Before anyone calls me a racist, I can assure you all...I hate everyone equally!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:06 pm 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
From my experience of the States, working with people from many backgrounds, the word, when used between two people regardless of race, is used as both a derogatory term as well as one of endearment.
No different to me calling someone a wanker or a fackin norvan mungkee. It's all about the context...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:36 pm 

Finmows wrote:
coco wrote:

And if they want the world to change they need to lead by example....therefore, when they stop calling each other it...I'll follow suit!

*EDIT*
Before anyone calls me a racist, I can assure you all...I hate everyone equally!

“Hey man! Wha’t it is! “ 8-)

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next