Last visit was: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:28 am It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:36 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
conquistador wrote:
Vinyl LP covers, I had a ritual of having to roll a joint on every one I bought. Sadly CDs are too small to carry on the tradition :cry:

The Ozric Tentacles last vinyl release in ‘97 had a printed 12 inch square pre-perforated for ‘roach tip’ tear off card insert for with the album. 8-) Of course true collectors like me never actually used the card for joints! lOl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 pm 

Current ride: The wife
conquistador wrote:
Vinyl LP covers, I had a ritual of having to roll a joint on every one I bought.

Warrior on the edge of time :yup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:17 am 

Finmows wrote:
conquistador wrote:
Vinyl LP covers, I had a ritual of having to roll a joint on every one I bought.

Warrior on the edge of time :yup:

More of a space ritual... :D

2017 Street Triple RS
Wilier La Triestina
Scott CR1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 am 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
conquistador wrote:
Vinyl LP covers, I had a ritual of having to roll a joint on every one I bought. Sadly CDs are too small to carry on the tradition :cry:

CDs are so much more Class A lOl

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:05 pm 

ursus americanus wrote:
conquistador wrote:

Steve

:clap: :D

2017 Street Triple RS
Wilier La Triestina
Scott CR1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:05 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
conquistador wrote:
ursus americanus wrote:
conquistador wrote:

Steve

:clap:
Hurry on sundown, see what tomorrow brings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:08 pm 

Current ride: K100
Jazzbutcher wrote:
conquistador wrote:
ursus americanus wrote:
conquistador wrote:

Steve

:clap:
Hurry on sundown, see what tomorrow brings.

It's just the spirit of the age :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:26 pm 

conquistador wrote:

You weren't keen on using a raffia placemat then? lOl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm 

barney wrote:
Adam wrote:
if you put thruppence on the record player arm! :rotfl:

Ee by eck , showing your age now , I can hear the novis advert music playing lOl
https://youtu.be/6Mq59ykPnAE

I'm no expert Barney, but I really can't be arsed to wind up the Gramaphone these days when I fancy listening to the latest 78 lOl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:25 pm 

Adam wrote:
conquistador wrote:

You weren't keen on using a raffia placemat then? lOl

baccy tin top now, the lip prevents spillages :D

2017 Street Triple RS
Wilier La Triestina
Scott CR1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:31 pm 

With regard to recent trends; the Chinese Tend to prefer music on the move via headphones such as in ear buds. West Indians tend to go for cheaper hifi, but with the biggest speakers they can find. Meanwhile affluent westerners here and in the US are edging towards high-end audio, but in more compact units which fit in well with their domestic environments. 8-)

All very interesting from a marketing point of view, but it’s generally frowned upon to focus on racial stereotypes! lOl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:33 am 

Not trying to restart a hi fi thread here, but in case anyone wonders what a 'super Lenco' deck is and its relation to a Lentek phono pre-amp is;

If you sift through the images in this link you should see what a few of us obsessives get up to lOl in a variety of weird DIY wooden constructions with odd looking machined top plates holding or showing spaces for the central bearing and idler drive wheel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ptp6+le ... cDPW1t5E0M

The Goldring Lenco L75 was a solid built turntable from the 1970s which had what can be described as a muscular drive system with a heavy platter and a well built wooden plinth. The main weaknesses of this deck by todays standards would be the standard arm and a somewhat resonant pressed metal top plate which combined to limit serious resolution (Hifi qualities).
The fashion today is to take an old Lenco and strip out the best bits, which are the motor, main bearing, idler drive and speed control gubbins then ditch the rest.
Then make your own multi layered birch ply plinth (the thicker the better) and replace the standard top plate with a set of precision machined main bearing and motor mount top plates from PTP Audio. Some people use plinth materials other than birch ply such as hardwoods or add a layer of slate.
Then add your own quality arm and cartridge of choice and relish in some weighty music making. ;)

The Lentek phono pre-amp comes into play if you are going to use a Denon DL103 low output moving coil cartridge. The 0.3mv output of this MC is well matched to Lenteks pre-amp and the slight leanness in that pre-amps sound was a good counter to what was described as the 'syrupy' sound of Lentek's own Entre MC cartridge of the time or a slightly over rich sound sometimes attributed to the 103 MC.
My plan is to complete the build of a customised Lenco deck of my own using PTP top plates and a few of my own tweaks, then add my own spare arm and 103 MC. Hence my interest in the Lentek Pre when it appeared on here. 8-)

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2