Last visit was: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:05 am It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:40 pm 

Current ride: K100
Adam wrote:
'Why can't the Japs at least try to copy old Brit damping rates?' - Seriously :shock:

Possibly because their materials, machining and leakage specs are too high? They never tried to copy the old Brit oil leaks :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:10 am 

Current ride: XB9SX
Bonzo wrote:
Adam wrote:
'Why can't the Japs at least try to copy old Brit damping rates?' - Seriously :shock:

Possibly because their materials, machining and leakage specs are too high? They never tried to copy the old Brit oil leaks :)

Maybe all true, but with every old Brit bike I rode I never gave the shocks front or back a second thought. They just seemed so planted on the road and soaked up every ripple with almost no rebound. I'm recalling rides on 200 Tiger Cub, 250 C15 ss80, TR6, T140, T160, Commando 750 Combat, Norton Interpol Rotary! I've probably forgotten as many others. :old: Maybe I just wasn't going fast enough, but that wasn't the case with the Trident or Interpol. ;) Actually I did recall the Trident making my bum leave the seat on a few bumps at speed, but that was because the rear 'Girly' shocks were too firm and lacking compliance if anything. lOl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
far fewer vehicles on the roads in them days :old: and roads were in a lot better conditiond than todays pot hole infested ones , you only have to look at the road signs today , they can't even keep them clean so you know where you are going , so little chance of any long lasting maintaince on the roads :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:01 am 

Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
A whole new subject - the appalling state of our roads. No wonder everyone is driving 4x4 and SUV's they're the only things that have a chance of surviving.

Road signs being covered in shite or foliage is a right pain sometimes - i suspect they don't deal with those issues until there's been an accident or loads of folk have complained.

Everywhere is flooded because they don't clear the drains like they used to. Pretty much no planned maintenance, all reactive. Still, keeps you on the ball whilst riding :D

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:43 pm 

Most of my modern sport bikes are faster in 2nd gear than any of the old Brit bikes I still ride. At 3 figure Ducati speeds, I really wouldn't want the Monroe Shocks off my Velo suspending me, or Norton Roadholder forks. Not really sure what you mean by 'rate' in the damping context with valving, (although rebound damping is most crucial of all on the rear - which surprised me when you mention having a lack of it!) It's more usual to talk about spring rate. Although I've used Girling, Armstrong, Monroe, AMC's own shock, on many Brit bikes, I've never seen traditional ones with any damping adjustment, just a bit of pre load if you're lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:03 pm 

Adam wrote:
Most of my modern sport bikes are faster in 2nd gear than any of the old Brit bikes I still ride. At 3 figure Ducati speeds, I really wouldn't want the Monroe Shocks off my Velo suspending me, or Norton Roadholder forks. Not really sure what you mean by 'rate' in the damping context with valving, (although rebound damping is most crucial of all on the rear - which surprised me when you mention having a lack of it!) It's more usual to talk about spring rate. Although I've used Girling, Armstrong, Monroe, AMC's own shock, on many Brit bikes, I've never seen traditional ones with any damping adjustment, just a bit of pre load if you're lucky.

Way back, my GS1000 would do 75mph in 1st gear. Thus breaking the speed limit without even changing gear!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 pm 

Current ride: The wife
t965m wrote:
A whole new subject - the appalling state of our roads. No wonder everyone is driving 4x4 and SUV's they're the only things that have a chance of surviving.

Some of them are big enough to swallow 'Mo!....I have thought about having a sticker put on the back
"I AM NOT PISSED....I'M AVOIDING THE POT HOLES"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:42 pm 

03 wrote:
Adam wrote:

Way back, my GS1000 would do 75mph in 1st gear. Thus breaking the speed limit without even changing gear!

To me, the GS thou was the game changer, it offered performance and handling. Brit bikes only had about 45bhp on the dyno (not the comedy readings the makers claimed) so didn't really have to cope with handling issues caused by power. I know things like the Jota was around at the time (and given a choice, I'd take a Jota any day) but the GS was so much more sophisticated and easy to live with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:59 pm 

Adam wrote:
03 wrote:
Adam wrote:

To me, the GS thou was the game changer, it offered performance and handling. Brit bikes only had about 45bhp on the dyno (not the comedy readings the makers claimed) so didn't really have to cope with handling issues caused by power. I know things like the Jota was around at the time (and given a choice, I'd take a Jota any day) but the GS was so much more sophisticated and easy to live with.

I couldn't pull the clutch lever on a Jota, nor reach the floor. Lovely bikes but not for a short arse wimp like me. The GS1000 was the pick of the bunch post Z1 introduction, for sure. I recall having a go on a couple of 1000 CBX's, very interesting things but totally underwhelming to ride.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:58 pm 

for me being a bit younger lOl
the gpz750 turbo and then the GSXR1100R were the game changers
750 turbo was crap on fuel once you got the thing wound up , remember a trip to oliver's mount ,
would of been cheaper in mates Ford capri 3.0 ltr.
as for the GSXR used it on the road for a few months then put it on the race track , just local club events , happy days :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:51 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Adam wrote:

Yes the GPz900, 1100s, and CBR1000 I rode all had nice and refined suspenders, especially the ‘plastic fantastic’ CBR, but l’m not saying most newer bikes weren’t better or more adjustable. I was discussing a W800 classic style cruising twin made to ape things like the Triumph Or BSA twins of yore. It’s just that many ‘non sporting’ models from Japan l have ridden seem to have been left for the untrained apprentice to design or select the suspension components, or were so budget restricted, or maybe they designed in poor damping to discourage riders from pushing the cruiser chassis too far? :?
The old Brits by comparison may have been little or no more advanced, but by dint established practice felt like they had plenty of oily damping whether adjustable or not. They can’t all have had knackered springs. lOl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:35 am 

lOl CX500 had a mind of its own once you started to push on in the bends lOl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am 

Current ride: The wife
barney wrote:
CX500

Knock knock...

Lets see who remembers that!