Last visit was: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:05 am It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Royal Enfield
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:19 pm 

Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
Has anyone got one of the new RE 650 models and if so what’s your thoughts on them? I’m looking to the future as I near retirement and replacing my street triple. Something a bit calmer and that I can tweak to my taste. I have the option of jumping on the EBR if I want something to ‘press on’ with if need be.

There’s loads of info on YouTube and they get a good write up but was looking for some first hand experiences and thoughts.

I’m sure i’ll get some very considered and interesting comments… :rotfl:

Cheers :yup:

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:59 pm 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
I work occasionally for a Royal Enfield dealer and they sell loads of them. I like them - they look good, ride well and are well finished. When I first rode one it felt very like my Triumph Street Twin which I had at the time. On paper it has less power but it doesn't feel that way through the seat of the pants. The Triumph is considerably more expensive and the only areas where I would say it beats the Enfield is service intervals and fancy electrics. The average Royal Enfield buyer is a pretty binary kind of guy who doesn't care about multiple trip meters, fuel consumption averages etc although you might miss that after the Street Triple.

Big question for you is whether that is the type of riding that you really want. It could be really satisfying bimbling around the glens but I'm sure there will be times when you're drawn to the sportier Buell/EBR ride.

I have a garage full of bikes which I have barely used through this pandemic but I have had more use out of my Himalayan than anything else over the past year or so and that is really gutless. It also has the benefit of being a very capable off roader for a novice like me.

Get yourself over to Saltire for a demo ride on both the Interceptor and the Himalayan and tell us what you think.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:29 pm 

Cheers, Steve. I know basic - we have an X1 and an EBR :D

I like all the nice modern tech but can live without it. I’ll certainly test ride the Continental when I take the 390 in for its service :yup:

I know the service intervals are closer together on the RE but they’re not gonna cost £800 for a 10k I suspect. Triumph are starting to get a little too corporate and prices are starting to creep up - not Ducati high but creeping up. Some horror stories out there about the bonnieville gearbox issues and how they’re treating their customers. All marques have issues I know so good to stay aware of what’s going on.

From what I’m reading the RE stuff seems pretty bulletproof. All weather biking won’t be an issue as there’ll be no working :D

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:11 pm 

I am looking at a Himalayan for the tracks in Portugal, if they have a short first gear then it could be just the job as some of the inclines are pretty steep in my neck of the woods....But then the Yam T700 has caught my eye and could do it all....I do like the RE though, if only they would make the Himalayan with the 650 engine....400cc and a relatively heavy bike means it will run out of steam at 70mph, I got rid of the DRZ400 because of that and it was a lighter bike, I know we should not be going that fast at our age, but I can`t find a pocket with a fuck in it. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:30 pm 

Himalayan seems a little underpowered but the T700 is 10k and far too tall for this callsign.

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:18 pm 

Bugger, I am going to need a box then! :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:57 am 

Current ride: K100
I had the Continental GT535 and always felt it would be perfect with a 650 twin in it, so when they made one I had to have a go. Tested both the GT and the Interceptor. Both very competent, they do everything they're supposed to do, but I just found them a bit bland. Couldn't fault them on anything at all, they just didn't inspire me to buy one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 am 

Bonzo wrote:
I had the Continental GT535 and always felt it would be perfect with a 650 twin in it, so when they made one I had to have a go. Tested both the GT and the Interceptor. Both very competent, they do everything they're supposed to do, but I just found them a bit bland. Couldn't fault them on anything at all, they just didn't inspire me to buy one.

Another 25bhp would change that. Of course, the cynics amongst us would think they did it on purpose so that you then buy the S&S big bore kit, the high lift cams, the flowed heads and the performance pipes. Thus doubling the cost of it. Too cynical?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:05 pm 

All good info. Thanks. The new 950 monster and the Trident are also on the list and all require a test ride :)

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:47 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
I’ve not ridden a 900 Street Twin or RE650 yet, but l read that some engineers responsible for the new Triumph twins had input into the RE650 engine at RE’s UK based R&D centre. ;)
I also read that the new 65bhp 900 Street Twins are everything you need and the ‘power’ was at times a better match for some UK roads than the 1200....and you still get the benefit of a longish stroke torquey midrange motor. I must try one before buying anything else. 8-)

I did at least ride Kawasaki’s later 776cc W800, which was nice and comfy with a leggy engine and gearing, but it was a bit bland with half baked suspension. Most of the bouncing along the road seemed to come through the bouncy feeling tyres. :? If they mean to do a copy of a trad Brit twin. Why can’t the Japs at least try to copy the old Brit damping rates? :roll:

As for Yamaha; instead of a retro version of their MT-07 they should remake the old XS650, but make it at least an 850 and update the chassis and they would probably have a winner! ;)

In spite of all the above and having ridden an RE 500 Electra, I still have an odd hankering for RE’s 500 Thunderbird X for days when I don’t want to go anywhere quickly. lOl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:03 pm 

I have test ridden the Triumph Speed Twin which was a lovely thing - not cheap mind :shock:

I read a lot of stuff about issues with the bonniville series and punters not getting very good treatment from triumph. A bit worrying but having owned two street triples and had a few minor issues I can only say they’ve been brilliant at sorting them.

Far too much choice out there :D First world problems…

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:03 pm 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
t965m wrote:
All good info. Thanks. The new 950 monster and the Trident are also on the list and all require a test ride :)

Think you're talking yourself into the Speed Twin that you've already ridden and liked. I really enjoyed the Scrambler 1200 when I rode that as well but it wouldn't suit your inside leg ;)

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:31 pm 

I was quiet keen on the Speed Twin but just too tight to pay 13k for one.

And yes, the 1200 Scrambler is crazy high for a gentleman of a certain height :D

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
t965m wrote:
I was quiet keen on the Speed Twin but just too tight to pay 13k for one.

A friend of mine was extremely lucky and found a used Triumph 1200 twin recently, which I haven't even seen yet due to Covid. :?

Maybe the previous owner had to sell it to pay some bills! Remember that one persons loss........ :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:49 pm 

'Why can't the Japs at least try to copy old Brit damping rates?' - Seriously :shock:

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next