Last visit was: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 am It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Petrol
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:00 pm 

Current ride: A black one
Location: Wales. The land of dragons, welshcakes and full reservoirs.
Here we go again :roll:

Post subject: Re: Petrol
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:12 pm 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
This only needs to affect you if you live in the SW (and possibly some other random places oop North) and thereby cannot readily access Esso's excellent Synergy Supreme+ 99. They classify it e5, but it contains absolutely no ethanol :yup: :dance:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:06 pm 

rik wrote:
This only needs to affect you if you live in the SW (and possibly some other random places oop North) and thereby cannot readily access Esso's excellent Synergy Supreme+ 99. They classify it e5, but it contains absolutely no ethanol :yup: :dance:

Rik, go take a look at Esso UK's website about that. Majority of the UK Esso premium fuels do now have ethanol or at least are no longer guaranteed not to. I checked again recently and the North West (Stanlow refinery) has recently been added to the areas with ethanol in the fuel. It's now pretty much UK wide. A shame but that's what happens when the lunatics are running the asylum. I think where you are, you should still be ethanol free from Fawley refinery -

Quote:
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England).

Copied from -
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:55 pm 

Yep, that's exactly the same as what it's been saying for the past couple of years, Steve, since I first 'discovered' it and dumped Shell V-Power outa my life lOl
Back then Esso Synergy was 'only' 97 RON, quite recently upgraded to 99 as you know. I'm more bothered about the lack of ethanol than the 2 extra RONs tbh.
All power to Esso's shoulder then, and long may it last, so buy it everyone who cares, and spread the word as I do on other forums. If Esso sell enough of it, then they might just continue with it. Conversely....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:47 pm 

rik wrote:
Yep, that's exactly the same as what it's been saying for the past couple of years, Steve, since I first 'discovered' it and dumped Shell V-Power outa my life lOl
Back then Esso Synergy was 'only' 97 RON, quite recently upgraded to 99 as you know. I'm more bothered about the lack of ethanol than the 2 extra RONs tbh.
All power to Esso's shoulder then, and long may it last, so buy it everyone who cares, and spread the word as I do on other forums. If Esso sell enough of it, then they might just continue with it. Conversely....

The North West is a pretty recent addition to the "contains ethanol" list. Last time I checked, the North West was an ethanol free zone. But no more. From that page I deduce that Esso 99 RON is E5 from Grangemouth (Petro Ineos), Stanlow (Essar), Lindsay (Total) and Conoco. The latter two on Humberside. So, down where you are, Fawley still seems to be ethanol free. I am confused why Devon and Cornwall get E5 but you don't because Fawley refinery is by far the closest to Devon and Cornwall. It seems South Wales is ethanol free from Pembroke refinery (Valero operated) at least for now. Of course, a lot of refined road fuel now ships in from Rotterdam. What you get from there could be anything as long as it's spec compliant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:31 pm 

Should I start to stock-pile then?... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm 

Current ride: A black one
Location: Wales. The land of dragons, welshcakes and full reservoirs.
Adding fuel to the fire..............pun intended :tw:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:53 pm 

Current ride: X1 2001
Harley Davidson never heard of them :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:21 pm 

rik wrote:
Should I start to stock-pile then?... ;)

Reckon it's only a matter of time before the whole country defaults to E5 for premium unleaded and E10 for the regular. That's how it seems to me given that the list of ethanol free regions for Esso 99 RON fuel in the UK appears to be reducing? It's definitely not very long ago that the North West of England was in the ethanol free list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
My Clio II loves Shell Regular or Super so l use nothing else, but is listed as ok with E10. I’ll see how she runs when it comes. The XB only gets Shell Super and sits or has sat with a tank full for months! :sad1: with fuel stabiliser I might add! Will watch this space. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm 

Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
I have to confess to having three bikes sitting for well over a year without starting them. All will have ‘Super’ in them but I’m not nervous of starting them. Should I drain their tanks or is everything that matters already full of old fuel? Is that how it works?

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:04 pm 

Current ride: S1`s
Getting an s1 ready to sell and drained the tank via the petcock and it would not do it , the fuel was a right stodgy mess. Took petcock off and it poured out, the fine filter was blocked with a fibrous type suspension in the fuel . Cleaned it out and with new fuel the bike started.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like rockwool doesn't it.....I see loads of this at this time of year after winter lay ups.
H-D's ethanol guard works really well at preventing this :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:38 am 

Current ride: S1`s
Maz wrote:
Looks like rockwool doesn't it.....I see loads of this at this time of year after winter lay ups.
H-D's ethanol guard works really well at preventing this :idea:

Yea , rockwool. :headbang:

Will look into the ethanol guard stuff as painted ,plastic tanks do not like to be left drained.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:09 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
When l dug out my old Honda 250 tank some years ago it still had over a gallon of leaded 4 star in it from several years before. Being a petrol head I thought the smell was wonderful! lOl I put it in my old Citroen and it went really well! No such thrills opening the cap on old fuel today. lOl :old:

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next