Last visit was: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:54 am It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 3013 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1197 198 199 200 201 Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:16 am 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
The current situation has strangely got me digging into my old Hawkwind collection. ;)

I can’t transfer the link on this iPad, but it’s on google; ‘We took the wrong step years ago’ by Hawkwind from ‘In Search of Space’. 8-)

We Hawkwind fans like a bit of distopian uncertainty. It makes our old records sound better! lOl

Strangely I've been digging in & out of mine since 1970. Still love that band, some of the new Lps are surprisingly good even though there's only really one founder member. Played their latest the other day & asked my wife what she thought "definitely Hawkwind she replied". That's a pretty good recommendation but only if you like Hawkwind I suppose. Tons of vids on youtube.

I particularly like the early acoustic tracks like , hurry on sundown, mirror of illusion, we took the wrong step, Cadou Flyer, etc, etc. They conjure up a sort of wistful far away feeling that complements the more driving space rock. 8-) The original In Search of.. and Doremi Fasol Latido are my favourites, with Hall of the Mountain Grill, Warrior on the Edge, Astounding Sounds, etc close behind. Bye the bye, I used to pass the old Mountain Grill cafe building near Ladbroke Grove in London last year. It’s a laundrette or something now! ;) . The old Gold Bar on Portobello Rd where musicians used to meet was being restored to a smart bar, but with original style fittings last time l looked. 8-)

The recent albums are just way too compressed for my liking. I need to step down the resolution to listen. roll: Without wishing to start another hi-fi thread lOl that’s what l’m trying to do with the Walker CJ55 deck. It’s good, but less than perfect pitch may make it a good Hawkwind spinner (like a sort of base level Linn LP12) combined with a Rega arm and DL103? My partners DVD88 makes a good stab at the older CD’s some of which are not made from great res files! :sad1:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:40 am 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
The current situation has strangely got me digging into my old Hawkwind collection. ;)

I can’t transfer the link on this iPad, but it’s on google; ‘We took the wrong step years ago’ by Hawkwind from ‘In Search of Space’. 8-)

We Hawkwind fans like a bit of distopian uncertainty. It makes our old records sound better! lOl

Strangely I've been digging in & out of mine since 1970. Still love that band, some of the new Lps are surprisingly good even though there's only really one founder member. Played their latest the other day & asked my wife what she thought "definitely Hawkwind she replied". That's a pretty good recommendation but only if you like Hawkwind I suppose. Tons of vids on youtube.

I particularly like the early acoustic tracks like , hurry on sundown, mirror of illusion, we took the wrong step, Cadou Flyer, etc, etc. They conjure up a sort of wistful far away feeling that complements the more driving space rock. 8-) The original In Search of.. and Doremi Fasol Latido are my favourites, with Hall of the Mountain Grill, Warrior on the Edge, Astounding Sounds, etc close behind. Bye the bye, I used to pass the old Mountain Grill cafe building near Ladbroke Grove in London last year. It’s a laundrette or something now! ;) . The old Gold Bar on Portobello Rd where musicians used to meet was being restored to a smart bar, but with original style fittings last time l looked. 8-)

The recent albums are just way too compressed for my liking. I need to step down the resolution to listen. roll: Without wishing to start another hi-fi thread lOl that’s what l’m trying to do with the Walker CJ55 deck. It’s good, but less than perfect pitch may make it a good Hawkwind spinner (like a sort of base level Linn LP12) combined with a Rega arm and DL103? My partners DVD88 makes a good stab at the older CD’s some of which are not made from great res files! :sad1:

Yeah with you there Edd, 1st Lp is a belter with the acoustic intro outro, I've just recorded that & In search of Space, Hall of the mountain grill, Doremi & Astounding Sounds from vinyl onto computer last week, mainly cause I have nothing better to do. I was going to do all of them but I have 24 of their LPs, mind you with another 3 weeks who knows.
Do not start another HI FI thread!!! JB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:39 pm 

Ok! lOl

Have you got the ‘Distant Horizon’ CD? I thought that this was one of their better later albums. Chadwick and Davey could keep up a decent rhythm at least. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:38 pm 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Yeah, Distant Horizons is ok but not one of my favourites I'm afraid. I bought Blood of the earth 2010 & Onward 2012 both on vinyl they're pretty good & got The Machine Stops 2016 & All aboard the Skylark 2019 on CD both of them more like Hawkwind than Hawkwind ever were.
Kind of grabbed the mid term "more theatrical" Quark, Psxr, Levitation, Hawkwind vibe & ran with that, but still fairly decent.
I also have a copy of Astralasia's Solstice remixes of Spirit of the Age, my wife hates it but I'm ok with them having a go as I like Astralasia anyway & Hawkwind lends itself to trance in lots of ways as they were probably the forerunners of that Genre. Would've preferred them to have a go at Silver Machine myself, probably still my favourite track of all time although Lemmy's "Lost Johnny" rang lots of bells as well at that point in my life, memories, memories, music guides a lot of mine as well as bikes.
Have you heard The Wooden Shjips? Yes it is Shjips.
Anyway, hope you're well Edd.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:11 pm 

Alls well here, touch wood thanks. Yes got the Hawkwind variations, Astralasia, and one with Utah Saints! 8-) Minutes

Liked Spirit of....., PXR5, Levitation and the Elric tour and Chronicle album. Heck l liked them all even Love in Space (the Muzak piece was brilliant)....Also got Brock’s ‘Agents of Chaos’, and Calverts Captain Lockheed...... “Catch a falling Star Fighter.......you can use it as a cigarette lighter!” lOl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:12 pm 

‘Minutes’ was an iPad glitch!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:19 pm 

Current ride: The wife
Right let's get back to music :roll:
On Sunday May 24 this year, I was supposed to be going to London with the missus to go to a concert but some inconsiderate bastard in Wuhan decided to have "sweet n sour bat" for tea and caused a global fuck up!
Anyway while mooching around the "Net" I found this...and while it isn't exactly the same it will do for the time being
I for one have to thank the band for this wonderful attempt to keep (a lot of) fans happy and we'll see you on the other side ;)
So turn it up and enjoy :sun:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pj9Vmn-q4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:05 pm 

Thank you for that Finmows ;)

I have tickets for the Albert Hall next month, but like you........ :sad1:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:05 pm 

Current ride: 2006(55) XB12X
Not my music go to genre but searching for a particular track on Spotify took me to this https://open.spotify.com/track/5ZrDlcxIDZyjOzHdYW1ydr?si=jSTLQZe6QHKYQeos_ejPSQ
TBH my normally outwardly calm demeanor splintered today with all the petty bitching in the house. For last 4 weeks I'm the only one still fortunate of having a normal routine of work and chores around the house. I don't have to go shopping, do cleaning, laundry and cooking but when a job needs to be done and I can do it, I just do.
Lack of balls maybe but the 3 females (7, 20 and 40 something) in this house, embedded in their respective virtual worlds, made my blood boil today. I sound like a good RSM when I choose, it's scary :evil: .

Anyway, relaxing tunes, good wine and a chance to check out recent posts to here am back to normal. Good health all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 am 

Current ride: Ulysses XB12XT
Today I have mostly been listening to...

The Marcus King Band, Primal Scream and a little bit of Andrew Combs.

...but it’s only 2.50am, so who knows what the rest of the day might bring?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 pm 

Thunderstruck. Awesome cover (well,maybe). :roll:

https://youtu.be/jMeU5_4JKeI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 pm 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Im back on deep purple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 pm 

Current ride: The wife
Not now...but earlier...after a good go on the vape ;)...in the car...LOUD...on the way to the Dassetts for a little sun, peace and quiet!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q8Od5qJio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 pm 

Can’t post link, but.....’Shim’ and ‘The Glass Staircase’ by Ed Wynn originally of Ozric Tentacles 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:23 pm 

Although l am often drawn back to the album ‘Arborescence’ by the Ozrics. They seem to peak in the essence of their music there!? ;)

[ 3013 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1197 198 199 200 201 Next