It is currently 19 Apr 2024 08:32

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019 01:46 

Current ride: ULYSSES XB12X
Hi Jim,

persevere with it Jim, it is always a good move to check all lecky connectors on these I followed the hallowed advise from this forum and it makes for a much happier bike and rider :yup:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019 10:18 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
JimRidesThis wrote:
conquistador wrote:
Hi Jim, South Cumbria resident, Annanite in exile! If you had this way give me a shout. We're off to see the Hartside ruin tomorrow!

I was down at Bootle today visiting my sister... on the TDM though :D . I set off on the Buell but didn’t make it out of town before it was missing, backfiring and cutting out :? Rode it back home and took the Yam instead 8-)

My ‘Buell experience’ is obviously starting in the garage 8-) I want to have a good poke around it anyway, and do the belt change, wheel bearings, front pads, etc.

Currently, I’m feeling mentally prepared for the task ahead. :rotfl:

Hey Jim,
Good mental preparation is what you need, looks like you've got your list.
My Buell ran like lumpy banana custard when I first got it, spent a month doing my list.
You'll definitely get some very good, some great & also some irrelevant information thrown at you on here. You'll probably find like I did, that you have to think a little sideways to keep these Buell's running correctly.
One thing I have learned is that despite someone having the same model, same year etc, theirs will be very different to yours & will run completely differently on the same settings.
Try to think outside of the box when you're coming up with solutions, you will need all of your post Buell experience for this & occasionally Maz's vast Buell knowledge base Skill & Tools.
Take your time, I know summer's coming, but do it right or you will be forever fixing shit.
Good luck with your bike Jim, all the best & keep us informed of your progress ok. Paul.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019 22:04 

Current ride: None
Jazzbutcher wrote:
JimRidesThis wrote:
conquistador wrote:
Hi Jim, South Cumbria resident, Annanite in exile! If you had this way give me a shout. We're off to see the Hartside ruin tomorrow!

I was down at Bootle today visiting my sister... on the TDM though :D . I set off on the Buell but didn’t make it out of town before it was missing, backfiring and cutting out :? Rode it back home and took the Yam instead 8-)

My ‘Buell experience’ is obviously starting in the garage 8-) I want to have a good poke around it anyway, and do the belt change, wheel bearings, front pads, etc.

Currently, I’m feeling mentally prepared for the task ahead. :rotfl:

Hey Jim,
Good mental preparation is what you need, looks like you've got your list.
My Buell ran like lumpy banana custard when I first got it, spent a month doing my list.
You'll definitely get some very good, some great & also some irrelevant information thrown at you on here. You'll probably find like I did, that you have to think a little sideways to keep these Buell's running correctly.
One thing I have learned is that despite someone having the same model, same year etc, theirs will be very different to yours & will run completely differently on the same settings.
Try to think outside of the box when you're coming up with solutions, you will need all of your post Buell experience for this & occasionally Maz's vast Buell knowledge base Skill & Tools.
Take your time, I know summer's coming, but do it right or you will be forever fixing shit.
Good luck with your bike Jim, all the best & keep us informed of your progress ok. Paul.

Cheers for the encouragement Paul and everyone else! I am being philosophical about this Buell adventure :yup: I’m lucky enough to have another bike to ride, and one that I’m quite happy with... the Buell is, for the time being, entertainment. 8-)

I’m busy with other stuff at the moment, but I started the process of going through the all the electrical connectors tonight starting with the battery. It’s a Motobatt with those brass posts that screw onto the battery itself. Both were slightly loose! lOl I don’t know if this is in itself the cause of the cutting out problem, but it wouldn’t have helped. ;)

I’ll continue going through the electrical connections, start with the servicing tasks and report back with some photos.

JRT :yup:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 08:28 

Nice one Jim, :yup:

They may be different, they may be awkward at times, but they are not boring, :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 18:55 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
CHURCHILL wrote:
Nice one Jim, :yup:

They may be different, they may be awkward at times, but they are not boring, :mrgreen:

sounds like my last girlfriend lOl

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 21:16 

:hehe:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 21:56 

Current ride: X1 2001
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 23:47 

Current ride: 09 XB12XT, Guzzi V11
My mates xb12scg cut out a few times this weekend due to those dodgy bolt on terminals on the Motobatt coming loose, so best keep the correct allen key under the seat.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019 12:39 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Welcome and health to enjoy - as a mechanical incompetent I have only one piece of credible advice. When you change tyres also change the wheel bearings.

That's me, I'm done. You're welcome :D

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 22:13 
Nanny Brown

I know I am female and don't know a lot about bikes, however, I seem to have picked up that the Motobatt batteries aren't the best, so may be worth changing either back to a HD battery or finding a good alternative such as Yuasa etc. I am sure someone will come along and advise you better than me, good luck anyhow. :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 09:52 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hiya Jim,

You could try to get rid of the battery brass jumper things & just connect the leads to the main terminals. Not sure if this is a possibility for your bike but may be worth a try as it it eliminates the difficult connection with those brass jumpers onto the battery. I had that problem on a Triumph with those connectors and it worked a treat. Like I said not sure if this will be possible with positioning of the battery on your bike but worth looking at?

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 23:44 

Thanks for the words everyone. I’ve now done the rear bearings and put the new belt on. I’ve still to do the front bearings and brake pads, but I’ll take it for a test ride tomorrow. We’re in the process of selling and buying houses and I need to go up to ‘the new place’ to clean up and relight the Aga. That’ll make a nice shakedown ride for the work done so far. I’ll post some pics soon :)

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019 21:23 

The misfire/cutting-out issue seems to have been cured, my guess is it was the exposed injector wiring. Anyway, I had a trouble-free run out this evening :D

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019 16:07 

Current ride: X1 2001
8-) :yup:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019 06:56 
Nanny Brown

JimRidesThis wrote:
The misfire/cutting-out issue seems to have been cured, my guess is it was the exposed injector wiring. Anyway, I had a trouble-free run out this evening :D

Nice photo. :yup: Could be a UKBEG calendar contender. (Although may have to be in 'landscape' format instead of 'portrait' for the calendar)