It is currently 29 Mar 2024 02:22

All times are UTC

Post subject: XB TPS - Old vs New
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018 04:57 

Current ride: XB12S, S4, Striple
Looking for some advice on throttle position sensors. I have an ‘05 Lightning and the TPS finally gave up. In my ignorance that they got updated I bought a new sensor (P0279.3Aa) instead of the old version (29537-99Y) The dealer won’t take returns so with nothing to lose, decided to modify if. The difference between the old and me part appears to be the position of the stops that pick up on the pin on the throttle shaft. However, before I modified and installed it, I plugged the new sensor into the loom and wound the sensor from stop to stop. After a TPS reset, ECM spy tells me that the TPS voltage range is 0.58-4.69vdc (closed to open) which translates to only 72% when the throttle is fully open. Battery is fully charged

My question is: Is the range of the potiometer on the late version TPS any different to the early version? I can modify the late TPS so the stops pick up the pins on the throttle shaft bu pointless if it can’t see throttle openings above 72%? For reference, the resistance readings accross the sensor are as follows:
Bk-gn = 0.61-4.2k (closed to open)
Rd-gn = 3.99-0.33k (closed to open)
Bk - Rd = 4.38k

I couldn’t get the readings off my old one as it’s trashed.
The following article from bad web help but doesn’t give the TPS resistance values: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/m ... 1432290297

Worst case, I’ll but a new sensor. Equivalent alternative appears to be Airtex 5S5112