It is currently 25 Apr 2024 05:47

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 21:51 

Hello! I've currently got a naked 97 Bandit 6; my first big bike and it's getting a bit long in the tooth, I do love it but I've felt a change of bike coming and it's costing too much with maintenance and expensive bits keep dying, brakes keeps binding and are costly to fix etc etc :(

I was thinking of getting a twin of some sort, maybe a SV650 but then spotted the price on the new XB9SX @ £5800 which seems pretty cheap, although it's still nearly SIX GRAND which is a lot of money to me... but tempting... especially if I could trade in my bike and get a little deal..

I'd have to wack the bike on a 0% creditcard though and pay it back over around 3 years probably so I was just wondering what sort of costs I would incur over these years running the buell? (there is a 2 year guarantee) I would be doing about 6k miles a year including a short (5mile each way) commute everyday + all through winter.

I guess replace the tyres once a year as I do on my bandit.. what other costs am I likely to see? would the 2 year guarantee cover me for stuff? Do the run in services come free or do I have to pay and how much are they and how regular? What do I need to do to keep it tip top condition?

sorry for the amount of questions!!! want to get some ideas off you guys rather than a salesman in a shop!!

Thanks in advance :)
Kev.

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:45 

Have you considered a Cagiva Raptor? They're cheap but can be evolved into bloody good bikes. Check out the one that won the Thundersprint a couple of years ago.

altoperformance.com 8-)

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:50 

Do It.
I did exactly the same. Stepped up from a 600 Bandit to an XB9SX.
I commute 10miles each way to work and play at weekends.
Not regretted it in the slightest.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 06:35 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
greasemonkey wrote:
I wouldn't put a Buell, any Buell before the fueller/tuber debate gets going again, on shillin-a-week-an-t'door-locked, or any other kind of finance, you're that busy paying for the bugger, you ain't got the cash to fix it IF it goes wrong, some have had their mini-motos for years without trouble, some have collapsed of a nervous breakdown before they left the showroom, my advice would be to read the site and get an insight into what you're about to shell out on, attend a few meets (we do all sorts of machinery, not just Buells only) and get to know a few guys, check out the bikes you're interested in, chat to the owners then go from there

:yt: Sad, but true.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 09:09 

Current ride: Mojo
I would say your first 2 years of ownership are cheap. You have a peace of mind warranty, you have roadside assist for the first year, and your first service is free. My bike has just had an excellent 5000 mile service and a breather mod done for just over £200 (not with a HD dealer). The 10,000 mile service is an expensive one though. Those in the know recommend an intermediate change of oil every couple of thousand miles.
Also I am pretty sure you will want to personalise the bike. The original exhaust will rot like buggery, and a nice blinging replacement is about £300, (you might be able to negotiate this in the price). A belt tensioner is about £100, and a tail tidy about £120. My original sticky tyres lasted 1500 miles, but the road pilot 2's that I have on now are still looking good having covered 4000 miles. My bike has been pretty much faultless, and to date it has been a happy union. :D

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 12:49 

I think the City X is the best of the fueller bikes myself, but I'm not really qualified to pass judgement. I would think it would be a good bike as the first Vee twin you've owned. But please don't think that Buells = Simple = Low cost of ownership. It isn't really like that unless you want to learn about the bikes and do all your own maintenance. HTH.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 14:12 
Hi SnailofSatan - I'm in a pretty similar boat to you. I've already traded in my gsxr and have been looking for the "right" bike for me now for over a month. I've test ridden 4 or 5 different nakeds and am testing the buell xb9 on Saturday. I had never even considered Buells until I stepped into a showroom last week and they actually quite impressed me to look at. This will be the first Buell I have ever ridden though and so will be a bit of an experience I think. I want to buy a bike I can really enjoy riding and be able to get to know the bike and tinker through the winter. The exhaust rotting away is a bit of a worry but not enough to put me off, I would be interested to know of any more problems owners have come across though?

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 14:42 
Yes, the exhaust will need to be camcoated as a warranty claim as soon as corrosion starts to appear - I'd give it around 10 to 15 minutes, depending on humidity and wind direction on the day of handover. Alternatively, there's a veritable plethora of great aftermarket zorsts to choose from, everyone has their favourite - I'm chuffed to bits with my Remus.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 15:12 

Current ride: Mojo
Here is a picture of my blinging Stealth. Not only does it look good, but it makes the bike sound as it should. 8-)

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 18:13 

bench9 wrote:
I would be interested to know of any more problems owners have come across though?
Hmmm, are you sure you want to know this?

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 21:44 

The Remus may well be a good pipe when it's one piece. If you have a problem with it, they won't stand behind their product. Seems like their warranty is worthless :roll:
I'll never deal with them again. Dishonourable in the extreme imnsho :x

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 22:17 
Hey Kev,and welcome..i seem to be in the similar boat..but slightly further forward...like your self,i've had my bandit 6 for last 5 years,and as much as i love it,i am ready for a change...and as there doesn't seem to be much competition out there,for me its the xb9sx......
I was supposed to be picking it up on sunday,but have decided to wait till the following day so i end up with a full years tax.....

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 08:44 
03 wrote:
bench9 wrote:
I would be interested to know of any more problems owners have come across though?
Hmmm, are you sure you want to know this?

I think so...I need to know what i might be getting myself into.

Lucky - the aftermarket pipe looks very nice btw. Any pictures of the whole bike?

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 09:00 
bench9 wrote:
Lucky - the aftermarket pipe looks very nice btw. Any pictures of the whole bike?

As Mr Lucky is busy keeping the economy running sweetly, I'll oblige with the pic you need.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 09:36 
:rofl: