It is currently 18 Apr 2024 22:45

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018 12:42 

Current ride: 2 Buells + 3 Guzzis
Scroll back a few posts in this topic to the beginning of the year and you’ll see I’ve already posted information regarding the changes.

In the past ECMSpy has helped other charities, most notably children’s hospices. With Gunter’s help and approval, ECMSpy now helps this children’s charity: http://www.togetherforshortlives.org.uk/

Earlier this year I contacted Papworth fundraising unit explaining the proposed change and they’re good with it.

The money raised by UKBEG always has; and always will, go to the Papworth Cystic Fibrosis Unit. Emma’s Charity now reverts to its original format where money is mostly raised through events and paid directly to Papworth, free of online commissions.

The new JustGiving page is linked to Papworth, just like the old one.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018 19:34 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Yes, Chris, you have explained the changes being made but what Don and I are asking is why. Emma was a close friend to many of us and very much to you and Jane. We have all been involved over many years in raising enormous funds for a charity which helped Emma and doing it in her memory. I for one am very proud to be part of a group which has raised nearly £86,000 for this charity.

I understand that a large proportion in recent years has come from ECM Spy activation fees and am in awe of the selfless actions of Gunter in particular and also Pash for the work they have put into a technical resource for us from which they take no reward and help our favourite charity as well.

The new charity chosen appears to be a worthwhile one but it's selection appears to have been a bit random. I'm sure we're all pleased that it's not going to the Oxfam knocking shop fund but it would be nice to know why it has moved from Papworth.

Thanks

Steve

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018 20:32 
Site Admin

:yt:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018 21:23 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
There was a bit of confusion for a week after the just giving page was closed down and I got about 50 emails from people telling me they couldn’t donate before Herr Gunter was able to change the web page (I’m sure I could have done it but I would have made a pigs ear of it :run: ).

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018 06:02 

Why change? Why not?

ECMSpy fees have benefited various charities over the years, including Emma’s. We felt it was time for another worthy cause to benefit. Simple as that really.

Our request for the change to a children’s hospice, or similar, was posted on the 1st January. Nothing happened until the 14th January when Gunter replied, and the changes were set in motion. If people had concerns about the change why didn’t they speak up before now? There’s been more than enough time.

Regarding the new charity, we did some research and rather than pick one that’s locally based we chose a nationally based charity that helps young people with terminal conditions all over the UK.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018 13:02 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
CJ wrote:
Why change? Why not?

ECMSpy fees have benefited various charities over the years, including Emma’s. We felt it was time for another worthy cause to benefit. Simple as that really.

Our request for the change to a children’s hospice, or similar, was posted on the 1st January. Nothing happened until the 14th January when Gunter replied, and the changes were set in motion. If people had concerns about the change why didn’t they speak up before now? There’s been more than enough time.

Regarding the new charity, we did some research and rather than pick one that’s locally based we chose a nationally based charity that helps young people with terminal conditions all over the UK.

Quote:
Yesterday we requested that another charity, such as a children’s hospice, be the beneficiary of ECMSpy donations from the 1st January 2018.

Whatever :roll: Feel like we've been here before but life's too short to get stressed over it :cry:

Steve

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018 18:49 

Current ride: X1 2001
[quote="CJ"]Why change? Why not? quote]

Sorry I just thought it was the Papworth charity, in memory of Little Em.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018 22:39 

Current ride: S1`s
CJ wrote:
In the past ECMSpy has helped other charities, most notably children’s hospices. With Gunter’s help and approval, ECMSpy now helps this children’s charity: http://www.togetherforshortlives.org.uk/

Maybe it`s time for a German charity to benefit ?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018 05:50 

ECMSpy supported a German children's hospice prior to Papworth. Gunter was happy with the new one in the UK but if anyone had suggested an alternative, that could have been an option.

We apologise if anyone has been upset by this change.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018 10:19 
Site Admin

I think the question is why only the donations from the ECM spy activation then as you clearly still wish to support Papworth given that there is a link on ‘your’ site to the donation page?

After such a long standing arrangement & fantasic support for Papworth in memory of one close to all our hearts it seems odd to change that going forward to a charity that we have no direct emotional involvement :(

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018 15:11 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yt:
What’s next EM’s day to be renamed as Lincolnshire Buell/EBR & Italian Motorcycle Festival.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018 18:57 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Holy lord, what a turmoil for such a small change.

Back in 2010, when I was looking for a way to make international EcmSpy users "pay back" by donating (German users always had the choice to donate to a domestic charity), I looked at quite a few fundraising sites, which were either over-complicated, over-costly or over-american. Therefore I am still gratefull for being allowed to make use of UKBEG's "donating facility" (the one, before JustGiving took over), because it was quite simply the easiest way for me, and loaded all efforts on CJ's shoulders - and I can't thank him enough for that.

Now, many years later, a decision was made to no longer use JustGiving as the main fundraiser for UKBEG donations, and I sized the chance to create a fundraising page solely for EcmSpy donations (https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ecmspy-donations) - currently raising money for a different charity than Papworth hospital.

So, everything is fine, albeit different, but no reason to panic. Keep calm and carry on.