Last visit was: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 am It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 am
Posts: 357
Current ride: Xt500 , 1125 CR
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
DaveH wrote:
Looks like a good turnout. Can't see a single cafe racer or buell amongst em though. Just saying.

My CR is there somewhere....and that's both! :D we saw two other Buells there and around the front of the cafe there were some cracking cafe racers and a few specials....Harley engines featherbed s2 which I have not seen before and the "usual" BSAs, Vincent's, Nortons etc...lots of stalls and a band churning out rockers favourite toons...

_________________
Caution: I run with scissors.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Steve,
Yeah great day out and as always great to see you buddy.
Knocked out by all the old Commandos, Tridents, Goldstars, Vincents, the matchless G5 & couple of AJs's & the multitude of older triumph cafe racers that were round the front, too many people crawling all over them to get decent pics, but I did get the two Buell Ulysses we saw and of course that white Tshirt that was making coffee. (only joking with the tshirt)
Yeah got back ok with the help of Carole Nash's recovery. I had just pulled into Trowel services about 20 miles from home & noticed the rear wheel bearing was f****d. Luckily as you probably saw Mike doesn't really go fast so I'd been following him at 65 which was in actual fact very fortunate as normally I would've been going quicker & it could have been full collapse & wobbly rear end. Recovery was really quick (within the hour) which was pretty cool.
I'll stick pics up tomorrow but like you I was more interested in the size of the meet than individual bikes.
Great day buddy & great to meet you once more.
All the best Paul.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Steve,
This is the collapsed bearing, luckily saw it at Trowel Services when I pulled in. Half the balls are missing & the cage has broken.
Don't know what type they were as they were changed by the last owners MOT garage, only just over a year old as well? I'll see if they can be identified as you can avoid them in future as will I heh heh.
Having trouble getting pics of Jacks hill off my phone onto my computer, pain.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Sorry.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 9782
Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
Location: southampton
:shock: that's fucked , it could have been incorrectly assembled I.E. over torqued
if so the spacer between the bearings will be bell mouthed on the end.

_________________
Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Nutah wrote:
:shock: that's fucked , it could have been incorrectly assembled I.E. over torqued
if so the spacer between the bearings will be bell mouthed on the end.


Hi Nutah,
Yeah proper bolloxed.
I can say though that it definitely wasn't over torqued as I assembled it last, although whoever fitted the bearings for the test may have done so as I had a proper game undoing the spindle, when I changed the tyre, there wasn't any copper grease on it or anything on the spindle, completely dry, same as the front.
But anyway, counting my blessings as it was lucky for sure.
Maz's going to fit the new bearings as I don't have the tools & it'll be a proper job without a long screwdriver in sight heh heh.

This is one of the Ulysses at Jacks hill.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 am
Posts: 357
Current ride: Xt500 , 1125 CR
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Oh bugger...sounds like you were lucky...relatively speaking. Better to find out when stopped in a services than at an obscene speed or on the motorway.....so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?
And yes, barring human error when they were fitted, I'll avoid those bearings if you can identity them :D .
Shame a good day had to end that way...cheers for making the effort and good to see you as always....!


PS....selling that exhaust might help the bearing replacement cost... :yup:

_________________
Caution: I run with scissors.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Posts: 2728
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford
Ohsteveo wrote:
...so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?

:yt: :yup:

_________________
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08
CCM R30 (650cc) 02
Norton Dominators


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
barney wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
...so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?

:yt: :yup:


Yeah that is the "rule",
They had only been in a year, thought they'd last longer. Must've been Shit bearings.
Maz changed the front ones when he was doing the tyre as he said they were noisy. As usual, I was going to get round to doing the rears & now out of necessity rather that a leisurely do 'em when I get time. There's always something else to do be getting on with, with this bike.
I've personally never seen bearings totally collapse like that before. Usually there's a bit of warning, and although I knew something was "off" (hence the check when I pulled in) there wasn't any wobbling or noise, just once or twice it felt a bit heavy.
Wondered why everyone made such a fuss about changing the wheel bearings. Definitely in future SKF's at every tyre change.
Very lucky though, real quick Recovery as well good old Carole Nash's breakdown scheme.
All the best Barney.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:31 pm
Posts: 10
Current ride: XB12XT
DaveH wrote:
Looks like a good turnout. Can't see a single cafe racer or buell amongst em though. Just saying.


I was there early - Black 10 plate Uly - met Steve and 4 other Buellists - I left at 1100 to go to another meeting.

Some nice bikes in the display area and the "bike park". The parking arrangements were a bit hit and miss but they were organised by the Hell's Angels, so I ain't complainin'!

There is a monthly bike night there on the first Friday of each month.

A


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 am
Posts: 357
Current ride: Xt500 , 1125 CR
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
...so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?

:yt: :yup:


Yeah that is the "rule",
They had only been in a year, thought they'd last longer. Must've been Shit bearings.
Maz changed the front ones when he was doing the tyre as he said they were noisy. As usual, I was going to get round to doing the rears & now out of necessity rather that a leisurely do 'em when I get time. There's always something else to do be getting on with, with this bike.
I've personally never seen bearings totally collapse like that before. Usually there's a bit of warning, and although I knew something was "off" (hence the check when I pulled in) there wasn't any wobbling or noise, just once or twice it felt a bit heavy.
Wondered why everyone made such a fuss about changing the wheel bearings. Definitely in future SKF's at every tyre change.
Very lucky though, real quick Recovery as well good old Carole Nash's breakdown scheme.
All the best Barney.

JB, Maybe a contributing factor to your belts slight offset.....we commented on that before we left Rugby ?
Talking of which, I'm a member of a Rugby Riders forum and they organise a ride out every Friday....this weeks one is to..........Jack's Hill Bike Night. :D

_________________
Caution: I run with scissors.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 1792
Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR,XB12X
Location: North Bucks
Jacks Hill Bike Nights are organised by Dave and Julie of Northants V-Twin, long time Buell owners and UKBEG supporters 8-)

Steve

_________________
Back on the road again!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
...so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?

:yt: :yup:


Yeah that is the "rule",
They had only been in a year, thought they'd last longer. Must've been Shit bearings.
Maz changed the front ones when he was doing the tyre as he said they were noisy. As usual, I was going to get round to doing the rears & now out of necessity rather that a leisurely do 'em when I get time. There's always something else to do be getting on with, with this bike.
I've personally never seen bearings totally collapse like that before. Usually there's a bit of warning, and although I knew something was "off" (hence the check when I pulled in) there wasn't any wobbling or noise, just once or twice it felt a bit heavy.
Wondered why everyone made such a fuss about changing the wheel bearings. Definitely in future SKF's at every tyre change.
Very lucky though, real quick Recovery as well good old Carole Nash's breakdown scheme.
All the best Barney.

JB, Maybe a contributing factor to your belts slight offset.....we commented on that before we left Rugby ?
Talking of which, I'm a member of a Rugby Riders forum and they organise a ride out every Friday....this weeks one is to..........Jack's Hill Bike Night. :D


Yeah, I'm kind of hoping so with the belt.
Maz changed the bearings for me today & put in a new spacer as that was bolloxed also.
No coding at all on the bearings, unidentifiable, bloody cheap skate, shit.
He also said my steering head bearings are probably fucked at 10,000 miles, so they're overdue, I also get an obvious weave over white lines. Hence why I was looking at a damper. Doh! F****n Doh!
They're next on my list, hopefully before they collapse. :yup:
I'm off over to support Maz's open day on Saturday so Friday's out for me, my wife would do her nut. Great ride over to Maz's for me as well, probably the best ride I have for scenery. Bonus.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 am
Posts: 357
Current ride: Xt500 , 1125 CR
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
:yup: keep the missus sweet... :D
Glad it's fixed,catch you again soon....enjoy the open day!

_________________
Caution: I run with scissors.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 1205
Current ride: Buell 1125R
Ohsteveo wrote:
:yup: keep the missus sweet... :D
Glad it's fixed,catch you again soon....enjoy the open day!


The belt is really tight now, freewheels better as well, I'll have a ride over to Sheffield tomorrow & see how it all works.

_________________
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Top
   
 
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited