It is currently 29 Mar 2024 09:41

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019 22:59 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
DaveH wrote:
Looks like a good turnout. Can't see a single cafe racer or buell amongst em though. Just saying.

My CR is there somewhere....and that's both! :D we saw two other Buells there and around the front of the cafe there were some cracking cafe racers and a few specials....Harley engines featherbed s2 which I have not seen before and the "usual" BSAs, Vincent's, Nortons etc...lots of stalls and a band churning out rockers favourite toons...

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019 23:58 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Steve,
Yeah great day out and as always great to see you buddy.
Knocked out by all the old Commandos, Tridents, Goldstars, Vincents, the matchless G5 & couple of AJs's & the multitude of older triumph cafe racers that were round the front, too many people crawling all over them to get decent pics, but I did get the two Buell Ulysses we saw and of course that white Tshirt that was making coffee. (only joking with the tshirt)
Yeah got back ok with the help of Carole Nash's recovery. I had just pulled into Trowel services about 20 miles from home & noticed the rear wheel bearing was f****d. Luckily as you probably saw Mike doesn't really go fast so I'd been following him at 65 which was in actual fact very fortunate as normally I would've been going quicker & it could have been full collapse & wobbly rear end. Recovery was really quick (within the hour) which was pretty cool.
I'll stick pics up tomorrow but like you I was more interested in the size of the meet than individual bikes.
Great day buddy & great to meet you once more.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2019 16:04 

Hi Steve,
This is the collapsed bearing, luckily saw it at Trowel Services when I pulled in. Half the balls are missing & the cage has broken.
Don't know what type they were as they were changed by the last owners MOT garage, only just over a year old as well? I'll see if they can be identified as you can avoid them in future as will I heh heh.
Having trouble getting pics of Jacks hill off my phone onto my computer, pain.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2019 16:04 

Sorry.

Attachments:
Rear Bearing.jpeg
Rear Bearing.jpeg [ 82.9 KiB | Viewed 1961 times ]

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2019 16:54 

Current ride: X1 2001
:shock: that's fucked , it could have been incorrectly assembled I.E. over torqued
if so the spacer between the bearings will be bell mouthed on the end.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2019 17:14 

Nutah wrote:
:shock: that's fucked , it could have been incorrectly assembled I.E. over torqued
if so the spacer between the bearings will be bell mouthed on the end.

Hi Nutah,
Yeah proper bolloxed.
I can say though that it definitely wasn't over torqued as I assembled it last, although whoever fitted the bearings for the test may have done so as I had a proper game undoing the spindle, when I changed the tyre, there wasn't any copper grease on it or anything on the spindle, completely dry, same as the front.
But anyway, counting my blessings as it was lucky for sure.
Maz's going to fit the new bearings as I don't have the tools & it'll be a proper job without a long screwdriver in sight heh heh.

This is one of the Ulysses at Jacks hill.

Attachments:
Jacks Hill Buell.jpg
Jacks Hill Buell.jpg [ 669.33 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2019 22:16 

Oh bugger...sounds like you were lucky...relatively speaking. Better to find out when stopped in a services than at an obscene speed or on the motorway.....so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?
And yes, barring human error when they were fitted, I'll avoid those bearings if you can identity them :D .
Shame a good day had to end that way...cheers for making the effort and good to see you as always....!

PS....selling that exhaust might help the bearing replacement cost... :yup:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019 07:44 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Ohsteveo wrote:
...so no new bearings when you fitted the tyre?...isn't that the preferred way?

:yt: :yup:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019 11:20 

barney wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Yeah that is the "rule",
They had only been in a year, thought they'd last longer. Must've been Shit bearings.
Maz changed the front ones when he was doing the tyre as he said they were noisy. As usual, I was going to get round to doing the rears & now out of necessity rather that a leisurely do 'em when I get time. There's always something else to do be getting on with, with this bike.
I've personally never seen bearings totally collapse like that before. Usually there's a bit of warning, and although I knew something was "off" (hence the check when I pulled in) there wasn't any wobbling or noise, just once or twice it felt a bit heavy.
Wondered why everyone made such a fuss about changing the wheel bearings. Definitely in future SKF's at every tyre change.
Very lucky though, real quick Recovery as well good old Carole Nash's breakdown scheme.
All the best Barney.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019 18:42 

Current ride: XB12XT
DaveH wrote:
Looks like a good turnout. Can't see a single cafe racer or buell amongst em though. Just saying.

I was there early - Black 10 plate Uly - met Steve and 4 other Buellists - I left at 1100 to go to another meeting.

Some nice bikes in the display area and the "bike park". The parking arrangements were a bit hit and miss but they were organised by the Hell's Angels, so I ain't complainin'!

There is a monthly bike night there on the first Friday of each month.

A

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019 19:36 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Yeah that is the "rule",
They had only been in a year, thought they'd last longer. Must've been Shit bearings.
Maz changed the front ones when he was doing the tyre as he said they were noisy. As usual, I was going to get round to doing the rears & now out of necessity rather that a leisurely do 'em when I get time. There's always something else to do be getting on with, with this bike.
I've personally never seen bearings totally collapse like that before. Usually there's a bit of warning, and although I knew something was "off" (hence the check when I pulled in) there wasn't any wobbling or noise, just once or twice it felt a bit heavy.
Wondered why everyone made such a fuss about changing the wheel bearings. Definitely in future SKF's at every tyre change.
Very lucky though, real quick Recovery as well good old Carole Nash's breakdown scheme.
All the best Barney.

JB, Maybe a contributing factor to your belts slight offset.....we commented on that before we left Rugby ?
Talking of which, I'm a member of a Rugby Riders forum and they organise a ride out every Friday....this weeks one is to..........Jack's Hill Bike Night. :D

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019 23:03 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Jacks Hill Bike Nights are organised by Dave and Julie of Northants V-Twin, long time Buell owners and UKBEG supporters 8-)

Steve

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2019 16:00 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Yeah that is the "rule",
All the best Barney.

JB, Maybe a contributing factor to your belts slight offset.....we commented on that before we left Rugby ?
Talking of which, I'm a member of a Rugby Riders forum and they organise a ride out every Friday....this weeks one is to..........Jack's Hill Bike Night. :D

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping so with the belt.
Maz changed the bearings for me today & put in a new spacer as that was bolloxed also.
No coding at all on the bearings, unidentifiable, bloody cheap skate, shit.
He also said my steering head bearings are probably fucked at 10,000 miles, so they're overdue, I also get an obvious weave over white lines. Hence why I was looking at a damper. Doh! F****n Doh!
They're next on my list, hopefully before they collapse. :yup:
I'm off over to support Maz's open day on Saturday so Friday's out for me, my wife would do her nut. Great ride over to Maz's for me as well, probably the best ride I have for scenery. Bonus.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2019 20:49 

:yup: keep the missus sweet... :D
Glad it's fixed,catch you again soon....enjoy the open day!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2019 21:39 

Ohsteveo wrote:
:yup: keep the missus sweet... :D
Glad it's fixed,catch you again soon....enjoy the open day!

The belt is really tight now, freewheels better as well, I'll have a ride over to Sheffield tomorrow & see how it all works.