It is currently 23 Apr 2024 22:32

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 10:20 

Current ride: The wife
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Finmows wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Sorry not sure what happened there.

I'm far from being a fuckin genius.....but it looks like the same message got posted 3 times! ;)

1.16am Finmows, have you got nothing better to do.

I was sortin' my bike at that time.

Your sexual timetable has no interest to me ;) lOl

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 13:19 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
JB the IAC is a servo motor that is controlled by the ECU using various inputs which adjusts the air into the throttle bodies using a bypass plunger. Can be worth cleaning.... the hose that was fitted poorly is the clean air feed that ultimately is fed to the throttle bodies.

Hi Steve,
I've gone back to standard air box for a while with the full ram air set up back on, took me a morning to do as I made an error with the ram air snorkel. Still looking at the IAC thing as I found IAC steps setting is on closed on my ECM.
Is it possible for you to check yours & see if yours is set the same? I think it should be open as I think this may let it adjust and stop the over run I've been experiencing whilst running cold.
Gone back to standard to evaluate the other mods I made, maybe they will have made a difference to the standard set up. Like I said only takes an hour to put it back to open air box.

By the way, (Top Tip) if anyone takes the ram air snorkel off their 1125r/Cr, fit it back in place first before offering the air box snorkel to it, otherwise it can take the front spark plug lead off while your trying to manipulate it into place. Hence it taking me a whole morning rather than an hour.
All the best folks. Paul

Hi again,

Well that was a total & utter disaster putting the air box back to standard. The bike temp was running at 80+ for most of the 25 mile ride, engine running below 50 was awful, vibration was much worse. The only thing I did notice that was kind of positive, was that the power was linear although had that stifling effect with it.
So back to the open air box & cool air over the cylinders and a free running cooler engine with two distinct power bands at 5 & 7,000 revs.
Should get that done in an hour or so this afternoon.
I can't believe how shit it felt, so I'm taking this moment of glory & all of the people who said I was barking up the wrong tree.
It was actually you that were wrong. Tough to take isn't it?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 13:40 

Finmows wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Finmows wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Sorry not sure what happened there.

I'm far from being a fuckin genius.....but it looks like the same message got posted 3 times! ;)

1.16am Finmows, have you got nothing better to do.

I was sortin' my bike at that time.

Your sexual timetable has no interest to me ;) lOl

Is that what sortin' means up your way. :yup:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 14:18 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
JB the IAC is a servo motor that is controlled by the ECU using various inputs which adjusts the air into the throttle bodies using a bypass plunger. Can be worth cleaning.... the hose that was fitted poorly is the clean air feed that ultimately is fed to the throttle bodies.

Hi Steve,
I've gone back to standard air box for a while with the full ram air set up back on, took me a morning to do as I made an error with the ram air snorkel. Still looking at the IAC thing as I found IAC steps setting is on closed on my ECM.
Is it possible for you to check yours & see if yours is set the same? I think it should be open as I think this may let it adjust and stop the over run I've been experiencing whilst running cold.
Gone back to standard to evaluate the other mods I made, maybe they will have made a difference to the standard set up. Like I said only takes an hour to put it back to open air box.

By the way, (Top Tip) if anyone takes the ram air snorkel off their 1125r/Cr, fit it back in place first before offering the air box snorkel to it, otherwise it can take the front spark plug lead off while your trying to manipulate it into place. Hence it taking me a whole morning rather than an hour.

All the best folks. Paul

JB, what does the IAC say on the live data?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 15:23 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Hi Steve,

All the best folks. Paul

JB, what does the IAC say on the live data?

Reads IAC 143

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 15:30 

Is that hot or cold :D

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 15:34 

Ohsteveo wrote:

That's cold or at least slightly warm from getting back at 1.00pm

Can you check live data whilst the engine is running?

If so is it the same sequence?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 19:38 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

If you're asking what I think you're asking, yes. Select live data in the normal way when keying on and start the engine scrolling through to the parameter you want to check with the engine running. Maybe check your IAC step count when cold and monitor the values as the engine warms.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2019 23:33 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

If you're asking what I think you're asking, yes. Select live data in the normal way when keying on and start the engine scrolling through to the parameter you want to check with the engine running. Maybe check your IAC step count when cold and monitor the values as the engine warms.

See the Pm I sent you

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019 13:30 

Hey Edd,

Took you up on your idea.

Attachments:
P1020238.JPG
P1020238.JPG [ 701.64 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019 17:41 

Hi Folks,
Also got rid of the ram air system altogether by blocking the airway temporarily, trying to get all the air flow over the cylinders, throttle bodies, underside of the air box & through the frame. Made a swirl airflow also through the middle to feed the air pocket at the rear of the engine & frame.
I'll see how that goes, my bike definitely runs better in the 70s rather than 80s so cooling seems to be the way forward for me.
May also fit a switch on the fan so I can turn it on in traffic as I no longer have the "chimney Effect" of the cut down Ram air funnel, but I'll have to figure out how to make that work with the ECM switching.
So I guess that's that for this thread for me.
Job Done.

All the best, hope you found it interesting.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019 21:13 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

See the Pm I sent you

Don't see a PM regarding this matey...?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019 23:14 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

See the Pm I sent you

Don't see a PM regarding this matey...?

Hi Steve,

It doesn't matter now really, I was just thanking you for the information & asking what your cold reading for the IAC was, plus a sketch of a few of my ideas for further improvements to the cooling on mine I think. I've now mentioned them in this thread anyway.
I'll have a go at live data tomorrow if it stays clear. I've got a feeling that I've seen IAC steps closed somewhere in live data which I think may be a problem but I'll let you know what I see when I do the live data thing tomorrow.
Took two to three bloody hours to line the bottom of the air box & a further hour or so to get it all back to how I had it before, then I had to scoot over to Sheffield to see my Father in law in the car, so didn't get a chance to run it today. I don't like starting it after five o clock or so just out of respect for the neighbours.
One more question regarding your Cr if you don't mind mate, what temp does it run at normally? Mine gets lumpy at anything over 80 degrees hence my quest for better cooling.
More than likely I'm going to have to get into the ECU to improve the running which is another ball game altogether. I've been reading up on this though & feeling a bit more confident about tackling it.
Thanks again for the info Steve.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019 23:18 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hey Edd,

:yup: the underside of my air box looks very similar!

Just a brief update on my Clio. I’ve come to the conclusion that my snorkel in the bumper doesn’t add any significant performance increase, but.......the car just seems to drive more ‘freely’ on part throttle.
General running around from 15 to 75 seems to be easier. Maybe it’s just the cooler air making power and pick up easier, if that makes sense? 8-)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019 01:12 

edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hey Edd,

:yup: the underside of my air box looks very similar!

Just a brief update on my Clio. I’ve come to the conclusion that my snorkel in the bumper doesn’t add any significant performance increase, but.......the car just seems to drive more ‘freely’ on part throttle.
General running around from 15 to 75 seems to be easier. Maybe it’s just the cooler air making power and pick up easier, if that makes sense? 8-)

Hi Edd Makes sense to me, yeah I'm finding that the cold air my bike sucks in also aids cooling, it doesn't get any warm air from the snorkle now as I've blocked it and caused a swirl in the through frame air flow. Hoping that's gonna help with exiting as the air should travel faster suck the warm engine air out the back of the bike better. I'm not saying Erik Buell didn't do it right I'm just experimenting.
With the airbox back to my configuration, the Bike ran smooth as I like between 72 -75 degrees just riding & 81-83 in traffic but cools as soon as you are moving. Fan switch next so I can turn it on at will like in traffic. I think that may just about sort it out.
Nice one with the Clio, freer running is my aim.
All the best Paul.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next