It is currently 24 Apr 2024 11:49

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next
PostPosted: 05 May 2019 22:12 

Current ride: XB9SX
Until then, can l point you to a web site l have read; “Airbox - Formula 1 Dictionary”. ;)

PostPosted: 05 May 2019 23:40 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
Until then, can l point you to a web site l have read; “Airbox - Formula 1 Dictionary”. ;)

Hi Edd,
Thanks for the link but I'm like you, winging it with reference to old style carburettor set up. Seems pretty similar to be honest, didn't understand the electronics & sensors to begin with but sussing what they do now which makes it a bit easier.
Sounds like a great job on your Clio, I'll PM for pics as I'm very interested in what you're doing.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 06 May 2019 00:11 

There are some good tips on that F1 Dictionary web site which explain basic do’s and don’ts without getting too technical.

l noticed that some Clio Cup/Sport kits use the same duct route l am using, but l am going into some grey and unpredictable areas with my humble little 8v 1.2 economy model.

I hit on the idea of a pivoting or adjustable baffle as one way to try to cancel any unwanted dips in air pressure by slowing the flow. I could just insert a direct pipe from the inlet grill to the air box pipe, but as the web site warns, that would probably just gum up the air filter with bugs much quicker, or destroy the engine if l hit a big puddle. :?

A baffle should deflect suicidal moths downwards along with an excess of rain drops. ;)

PostPosted: 06 May 2019 10:41 

edd wrote:
There are some good tips on that F1 Dictionary web site which explain basic do’s and don’ts without getting too technical.

l noticed that some Clio Cup/Sport kits use the same duct route l am using, but l am going into some grey and unpredictable areas with my humble little 8v 1.2 economy model.

I hit on the idea of a pivoting or adjustable baffle as one way to try to cancel any unwanted dips in air pressure by slowing the flow. I could just insert a direct pipe from the inlet grill to the air box pipe, but as the web site warns, that would probably just gum up the air filter with bugs much quicker, or destroy the engine if l hit a big puddle. :?

A baffle should deflect suicidal moths downwards along with an excess of rain drops. ;)

Yes, just been reading some of the F1 Dictionary stuff, very interesting indeed.

Interested also in your moving baffle concept?

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 06 May 2019 13:08 

The main point from my point of view is that they say ‘ram air effect’ is only useful over 150 kph (about 93 mph). So that’s about max anyway for me! lOl

I will mail pictures next time l get on my fathers Computer which has my files on it. ;)

PostPosted: 06 May 2019 15:49 

edd wrote:
The main point from my point of view is that they say ‘ram air effect’ is only useful over 150 kph (about 93 mph). So that’s about max anyway for me! lOl

I will mail pictures next time l get on my fathers Computer which has my files on it. ;)

Yeah, I'm not convinced by Ram air systems at all. I think the one fitted on my 1125r was by far the biggest limiting factor in terms of performance & smooth running. The standard exhaust system didn't help matters either although it was better than the ram air intake system.
The power range on mine is now far superior to what it was with that shit ram system & exhaust on it. I'm also I'm pretty sure as I alter the intake further it will improve even more especially if I decide to cut open the exhaust & modify that a little as well. I don't really understand why anyone would leave either of them on such a great bike? What a F****n' waste.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019 10:22 

Thanks for the pics Edd.

Both projects looking great I reckon. Well done buddy.

PostPosted: 11 May 2019 23:43 

Talking of ‘ram air’; the barometer will be up at a whopping 1036 mb tomorrow over much of central England so get out there on your Buells and revel in the induction to be had! ;)

I’ll be going west from here on my ‘supercharged tractor’ ! 8-) lOl

PostPosted: 12 May 2019 20:11 

Well we went west.........but our route was rudely interrupted due to some folk trying to land an aeroplane on the A40! :shock: Luckily they got out before the ship burned. :ill:

Any road up! We took a longer slower more windy route to Abergavenny. As predicted our bikes were internally combusting well, scooting away at the slightest nudge of the throttle! And the weather was perfect. :sun:

When the XB fuel cell was almost empty one burst of hard acceleration from 45 to about 85 onto a section of duel had my mate on his Fazer struggling to match mine up to a certain speed according to his report at the next stop (he was two up mind). Whatever, the little 9 was on top form today! 8-)

PostPosted: 13 May 2019 09:48 

Hi Folks,
Back onto the "Ram Air"/"Fueling" subject again. I would appreciate some ideas from the Forum.
My 1125r which has had the air box modified, eliminating the Ram air system has a little niggle I'd like some opinions on if people would be so kind. (See other threads for mods).
This niggle is when I start my 1125r it seems to have a mind of it's own as regards throttle openings, this is only when it's cold & warming up, I always warm it it up before riding.
When I start it, it ticks over a little erratically, kind of surging, hunting that kind of stuff, it ticks over at 1,750 to 2,000 revs whilst very cold (slows to 1500 when warm). Whilst warming through, if I rev the engine slightly it seems to overun on the throttle, kind of mind of it's own thing and will continue to do this till warm. I'm guessing a TPS reset is necessary but am inclined to skip this, as every time I've done it in the past it's done something to the ECU & doesn't run properly afterwards (seems to effect the whole fueling cycle). I've done this twice in the past, same thing both times so you can see my dilemma here. It's definitely within the "Closed Loop area" & points to a TPS reset to me but I'm dubious because of my past experience of doing this.
Am I incorrect in assuming that a TPS reset should only deal with lining up the Butterflies in the throttle bodies & if so can this be done manually?
After it's warm it runs pretty much spot on, couple of areas where I think I can improve it but otherwise I'm very happy with the performance at the moment.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation, Paul.

PostPosted: 13 May 2019 22:42 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Did you turn the indicators off?.....asking for a friend.....

PostPosted: 13 May 2019 23:07 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Did you turn the indicators off?.....asking for a friend.....

Yeah, thanks I thought about that first, even before a TPS reset. So you can tell your friend that's all ok. :yup:

PostPosted: 14 May 2019 21:53 

I'll let him know. :D
I'm surprised you mention a tps reset causes you grief. As I see it the reset is just that : a positional reset of closed and wide open throttle so that the ECU has an accurate value for throttle position. Could your surges on warm up be due to a failing sensor ....?
It should be easy to check with a multimeter set on ohms...looking for any fluctuations as you move the sensor slowly through it's full range of movement. Or compare values with a known good one....but where would you find someone with a good one?....oh wait.... lOl

PostPosted: 14 May 2019 22:13 

Ohsteveo wrote:
I'm surprised you mention a tps reset causes you grief. As I see it the reset is just that : a positional reset of closed and wide open throttle so that the ECU has an accurate value for throttle position. Could your surges on warm up be due to a failing sensor ....?
It should be easy to check with a multimeter set on ohms...looking for any fluctuations as you move the sensor slowly through it's full range of movement. Or compare values with a known good one....but where would you find someone with a good one?....oh wait.... lOl

Jazz.....just thought a little more....the throttle position voltage output value is seen on the live data on the IC so can be easily checked with a steady hand when that mode is selected.....I guess you want to see a linear change on the value as the throttle is opened. And consistently repeatable.

PostPosted: 15 May 2019 00:32 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Jazz.....just thought a little more....the throttle position voltage output value is seen on the live data on the IC so can be easily checked with a steady hand when that mode is selected.....I guess you want to see a linear change on the value as the throttle is opened. And consistently repeatable.

Thanks very much for your thinking Steve, I've seen that sensor as I've scrolled through looking for AFV's, I'll have a look at that. Great idea, Top Man.
Yeah I thought that was what TPS reset, it feels like the butterflies are slightly out. May well be the sensor like you suggest.
All the best Steve & thanks again for your time. Paul

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next