It is currently 23 Apr 2024 12:20

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 610 Next
PostPosted: 15 May 2019 06:14 

Current ride: XB9SX
This may be a long shot as l’m no expert, but (if you have done a data log) what do the readings for the air temp sensor show during the warm up stage and would that change if you put the sensor back in the air box? :?

PostPosted: 15 May 2019 06:32 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Just my thoughts
if it was a TPS problem it would affect it hot or cold :idea:
and as stated it's ok when warmed up :yup:
so sounds like a fuel enrichment ( old days we called it Choke ) problem when cold , on my uly it would start ok from cold but as it warmed up, rpm would drop slightly and it would start to struggle to tick over as if it was too rich , when it had warmed up ,it was ok . I had a look at the Fuel enrichment map or choke settings and adjusted the settings for this warm up area .

PostPosted: 15 May 2019 08:42 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
barney wrote:
Just my thoughts
so sounds like a fuel enrichment ( old days we called it Choke ) problem when cold , on my uly it would start ok from cold but as it warmed up, rpm would drop slightly and it would start to struggle to tick over as if it was too rich , when it had warmed up ,it was ok . I had a look at the Fuel enrichment map or choke settings and adjusted the settings for this warm up area .

Hi Barney,
I've been thinking about that this morning & it does run fine when it's warm, it's only within the tick over section of the fueling when cold that the problem manifests. Your idea is a great one thanks. I'll do a bit more reading & see where I get too & keep you posted.
Thanks for the ideas Barney, Much appreciated. Paul. :yup:

PostPosted: 15 May 2019 09:12 

edd wrote:
This may be a long shot as l’m no expert, but (if you have done a data log) what do the readings for the air temp sensor show during the warm up stage and would that change if you put the sensor back in the air box? :?

Hi Edd,

Thanks for the idea Edd, I think I've pretty much eliminated the air temp sensor, the throttle bodies are pulling air directly from under the tank cover, the air temp sensor is mounted forward of the engine in cold air same as gets drawn under the tank cover. The sensor was only ever mounted in the mouth of the ram air funnel anyway, the problem used to be that hot air from the radiators & engine got drawn across it into the funnel when it had warmed up. Moving it to where it is really changed the behaviour of the fuel system during slow riding or stop start town riding as it no longer has that hot air drawn over it.
At start up & cold running (where the problem lies) the air temp sensor is in pretty much the same air temp as in the air box itself.
Thanks for your idea though, the fact that I have moved the sensor means it could well be something to do with this problem & as always I'm prepared to think/re-think about anything that may remedy this.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 15 May 2019 12:24 

Hi Folks,

Just been outside warming my 1125r through & trying to work out this little problem with tickover.
I think Barney's idea about the mixture at cold temps is probably correct, I'm also thinking that perhaps the cold running mixture is weak rather than rich (carb talk) ha ha. I'm kind of back with my Nortons & Triumphs & how I worked on them with Carburation (If that's indeed a word) and I remember weak mixtures used to overrun when the throttle was closed probably due to the restricted air acting as a choke.
It only occurs if I rev the engine whilst cold, once it's all warmed through it behaves itself really well so kind of aiming my inquiries at the cold start/choke system.
So that's the area I'm looking at now. No action just thinking about it.
Really need to start using the ECU Tuner. Avoided it for far too long I think but these are the times when it becomes a necessity & a quick learning tool to boot because there's a point to fiddling. Not really had cause before now.
Any ideas gratefully accepted, thanks to those who have offered support already you've been a great help.
I'm off across the moors to Sheffield on my 1125r. Never disappointed with this ride as I really know it well & it's a great testing ground.
Handling is so much better after Maz's work on the forks, still skips like a B*****d under hefty acceleration though. I still haven't managed to get this bike anywhere near flat out as it scares me shitless on the way. Managed full wallop through 1-4th gears, the speed was 15mph short of my Triumph 955i flat out, unbelievable & two gears left, but Lord help me if I hit a raise in the road without seeing it.
Have a great day folks & all the best.

PostPosted: 15 May 2019 23:59 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
barney wrote:
Just my thoughts

True...i guess JB did suggest it seemed ok once warm.....are the map changes a case of adjusting the injector opening duration to adjust fueling during the warm up?

PostPosted: 16 May 2019 00:17 
Site Admin

FFS :headbang:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 16 May 2019 15:30 

Maz wrote:
FFS :headbang:

What's up Maz?

Have you got a suggestion?

Apart from telling me to F**k Off!

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 09:39 

TPS it is then.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 13:20 

For me this thread seems to have a lack of 'on going' constructive replies, which is usually a warning sign that either people think that you don't know what you are doing, or they don't understand what you are doing, or they think that you are past redemption (like me and my exhaust venturi :hehe: ). :?

But don't take that too personally. ;) For many the question was probably answered by the link in the first response. Then the thread featured a few clowns who don't know nearly enough about their chosen subject or 1125s (me included), also a French car and a large parrot, which has probably put off the remainder of forum members! lOl

However, if I was in your place, I would be tempted to look at first principles; what do other 1125s run like and has the motor and it's management systems checked out as all running as they were meant to with all the standard factory fitted components in place? Fitting a complex V-Twin motor and everything else into a compact space while complying with regulations has always been a challenge for designers and Erik Buell will have given it some thought.......having possibly made things even more difficult by putting the fuel in the frame! :?

Having checked out that all was well with the standard systems ad ensuring that your own mods haven't skewed the engine management system 'beyond it's designed envelope', I would then look at what improvements were made from the 1125 to the later 1190 models. :|

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 16:18 

edd wrote:
For me this thread seems to have a lack of 'on going' constructive replies, which is usually a warning sign that either people think that you don't know what you are doing, or they don't understand what you are doing, or they think that you are past redemption (like me and my exhaust venturi :hehe: ). :?

But don't take that too personally. ;) For many the question was probably answered by the link in the first response. Then the thread featured a few clowns who don't know nearly enough about their chosen subject or 1125s (me included), also a French car and a large parrot, which has probably put off the remainder of forum members! lOl

However, if I was in your place, I would be tempted to look at first principles; what do other 1125s run like and has the motor and it's management systems checked out as all running as they were meant to with all the standard factory fitted components in place? Fitting a complex V-Twin motor and everything else into a compact space while complying with regulations has always been a challenge for designers and Erik Buell will have given it some thought.......having possibly made things even more difficult by putting the fuel in the frame! :?

Having checked out that all was well with the standard systems ad ensuring that your own mods haven't skewed the engine management system 'beyond it's designed envelope', I would then look at what improvements were made from the 1125 to the later 1190 models. :|

Hi Edd,

No worries at all for me, whether people don't know or just think I'm away with the fairies means nothing really.
I do think that this particular part of the inquiry was resolved pretty well with the help offered by contributors, hence the decided action.
We already established the rest of the system is running ok, so I did a TPS reset this AM.
I'm hoping this doesn't screw up the ECU settings for the rest of the running range like it has done previously but if it has, it's just another thing to fix.
Haven't started or run it yet but may do later and just let it tick over till it's warmed up properly & the fan kicks in, that usually gives time to reset.
I have looked at what developments were done to the 1190's.
Keep you informed as always.
All the best. Paul.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 17:36 

Ok just doing a double check as I don't know your bike! ;)

I haven't done much serious stuff to change my own XB9, just minor mods by increments.

White wire mod, '07 X12R muffler, heat shield wrap under air box, DIY 'venturi' mod......that sort of thing! ;)

I have changed the breather back to semi-standard since it was modded by Maz. I don't think this changed performance any, but it means less maintenance in cleaning mayo out the rear of the air-box. I made longer internal breather pipes which are almost level with the intake stack, but still clear of the air box roof. This I hoped would suck oil vapour down the throat to burn it better before it can coat the inside of the air box. On inspection this appears to have worked as I planned. ;)

The only significant peculiarity of mine was the air temp sender, which seems to stabilise in temperature at around 26.4 miles into a ride to be precise!...Captain! lOl So I always try to do at least three times that distance to get the best out of my XB.
I don't know how the air temp sender would affect the ECU while out in the breeze. :?

The venturi I use (described eternally elsewhere) is peculiar to the pre 08 XB9 header models, and probably peculiar to those fitted with a 12 muffler............and is probably peculiar to my bike. lOl This is a good one as it removes the step in power as the bike goes open loop say 4200 to 5200. Now it pulls like the gathering rush of a turbine from 2700 then harder from 3500 to 5400 ish making the front go light. ;)

Keep on keeping on! ;)

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 17:38 
Site Admin

Quote:
Haven't started or run it yet but may do later and just let it tick over till it's warmed up properly & the fan kicks in, that usually gives time to reset.

What !? :? :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 20:43 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Maz wrote:
Quote:

you forgot the :headbang:

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 20:51 

barney wrote:
Maz wrote:
Quote:

you forgot the :headbang:

Heh heh.

I'll let you know how it goes. :yup:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 610 Next