It is currently 20 Apr 2024 09:57

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 710 Next
PostPosted: 17 May 2019 20:53 
Site Admin

Yeah.....unlike some I actually have a brain and it gets damaged reading all this absolute inane bollox....I decided ages ago to never read JB posts again because my head can only plant the keyboard so often before one of them becomes a fatality :?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 21:06 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Maz wrote:
Yeah.....unlike some I actually have a brain and it gets damaged reading all this absolute inane bollox....I decided ages ago to never read JB posts again because my head can only plant the keyboard so often before one of them becomes a fatality :?

Ah, you know Maz you should've stuck to not reading.
I have a cliche' in my head or proverb or something, it goes something like "everyone you meet has something to teach you".
Mind your keyboard Maz, I've got some memory foam you can put on that.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019 22:00 
Site Admin

Shove it in your airbox (or what's left of it) ......can't do any more harm :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 00:24 

Maz wrote:
Shove it in your airbox (or what's left of it) ......can't do any more harm :roll:

You must be talking about that shit Ram air system I got rid of. That RAS was the only bit of harming that was being done, by choking the life out of the Rotax engine.
Doesn't anyone understand that the RAS is only on there because they've strangled the F**k out of the intake to make it compliant. The 3-4 extra BHP claimed to be produced by that system at high speeds is nothing compared to what the engine unit will produce without that stupid thing being on it in the first place. 1125 owners go & take a look at the size of the inlet snorkel on your bike. it's about the size of a F****n' family pack kit kat bar. The throttle bodies are 61mm each, I'm no mathematician but I know in terms of volume the kit kat sized hole loses, there's the first restriction without even looking at the airbox cover & snorkel & how restricting that is.
This 1125r breathes like it needs to, the only limit being what those throttle bodies can possibly suck in & what the sensors can adjust to.
So far they seem to be doing an ok job.
Now, just to remind people that more power was not my intention here, my intention was for a free running controllable engine, which I have definitely got.
I don't know for sure but I would be very surprised if this engine isn't producing more power as well, it's certainly a whole lot faster.
One other thing for you scientific types, how come my exhaust is louder with the RAS taken out of the equation?
All the best folks. Paul.

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 05:55 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Maz wrote:

One other thing for you scientific types, how come my exhaust is louder with the RAS taken out of the equation?

Is it the exhaust that is louder or just the extra intake noise adding to it :?:
If it is the exhaust it could be running weak, a little trick we used years ago to beat the noise test at scrutineering was to pull the choke out and make it run rich ,this would lower the DB readings so conversely a weak mixture would make it louder

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 12:00 

barney wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Maz wrote:

Is it the exhaust that is louder or just the extra intake noise adding to it :?:
If it is the exhaust it could be running weak, a little trick we used years ago to beat the noise test at scrutineering was to pull the choke out and make it run rich ,this would lower the DB readings so conversely a weak mixture would make it louder

Hi Barney,

Definitely the exhaust & not Intake noise, the exhaust note has gone up a few decibels at a guess & it has a "Flat Blat" sound up to around 3-4,000 revs. Do you know what I mean by that? It doesn't sound crisp.
The sound does improve & gets a much sharper edge 5,000 onwards, sounds like it's burning better & a definite difference in power. Eventually it emits a sharp howl at high revs 7,000 onwards, where there is nothing to indicate that it isn't running correctly.
It feels ok throughout the range to be honest, just much tamer at low revs which has the benefit of it not being so hunty & wanting to go all the time which is great. It just has that "Flat Blat" sound. It actually sounds like the DB killer isn't working although it is on there & there's nothing wrong with that.
Maybe I need to look at the sensor ranges or try another location for the Air Temp Sensor as Edd suggested, I still think there's improvement to be had there.
Sorry forgot to mention, no popping or burbling on the over run at any speed.
We'll see.
Thanks for your ideas Barney they are a great help. :yup:

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 13:30 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
JB...should you need to check, looking on the live data my TPS shows closed throttle 0.5 v to 4 v wot.

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 14:57 

Current ride: XB9SX
As well as sound, I also go by the feel of the power relative to throttle input. Smooth well metered combustion has a 'liquid' feel, while 'out of the envelope' running feels 'dry' to my mind (just before you get a partial seizure! :ill: ). Although don't confuse smoothness with the fuelling being over rich!

In less complicated times with simpler engines, we used to whip out the spark plugs to check their colour! My brother used to swear by regularly using a colour tune device on the three pots of his T160 Trident. But these days no-one does that unless you want to wear out the plug threads early? Now I only take spark plugs out of my XB to bin them and fit new ones each Christmas! :old:

Sorry if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but;

You say the induction snorkel on the 1125 is not ram air, but it may have been feeding cooler air albeit in a long winded way from the headstock area? I would want to see a thermometer reading adjacent to the throttle bodies with and without the air box in place. That is one area they appear to have improved on the 1190. Also if the air sensor says cool and the air going in is actually warm after passing over the cylinder heads then might the ECU add too little fuel? I don't know the answer to that, I am just playing devils advocate! ;)

The first thing I would have tried with an 1125 would be to stick heavy duty kitchen foil around the air box and intake snorkel to resist heat from the engine. This is what I did in effect with my XB. :idea:

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 16:09 

Ohsteveo wrote:
JB...should you need to check, looking on the live data my TPS shows closed throttle 0.5 v to 4 v wot.

Thanks Steve.

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 16:24 

edd wrote:
As well as sound, I also go by the feel of the power relative to throttle input. Smooth well metered combustion has a 'liquid' feel, while 'out of the envelope' running feels 'dry' to my mind (just before you get a partial seizure! :ill: ). Although don't confuse smoothness with the fuelling being over rich!

In less complicated times with simpler engines, we used to whip out the spark plugs to check their colour! My brother used to swear by regularly using a colour tune device on the three pots of his T160 Trident. But these days no-one does that unless you want to wear out the plug threads early? Now I only take spark plugs out of my XB to bin them and fit new ones each Christmas! :old:

Sorry if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but;

You say the induction snorkel on the 1125 is not ram air, but it may have been feeding cooler air albeit in a long winded way from the headstock area? I would want to see a thermometer reading adjacent to the throttle bodies with and without the air box in place. That is one area they appear to have improved on the 1190. Also if the air sensor says cool and the air going in is actually warm after passing over the cylinder heads then might the ECU add too little fuel? I don't know the answer to that, I am just playing devils advocate! ;)

The first thing I would have tried with an 1125 would be to stick heavy duty kitchen foil around the air box and intake snorkel to resist heat from the engine. This is what I did in effect with my XB. :idea:

Hi Edd,
What I actually said is that MY induction snorkel isn't ram air anymore.
I've actually got lots more cool air going over the cylinder heads & under the air box bottom because of the removal of the RAS.
Yeah I'm working on the air temp sensor position right now with air box temp in mind, there's no reason why I can put the sensor in there, just need to try stuff out.
Thanks for the suggestions Edd.

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 20:52 

Current ride: XB9SX
Ok, think l’ll stick to my Clio until l’ve had an 1125 to bits! ;)

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 20:59 

edd wrote:
Ok, think l’ll stick to my Clio until l’ve had an 1125 to bits! ;)

Hi Edd

You don't need to have had an 1125 to bits to understand air flow.

Thanks for the suggestions Edd.

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 21:27 
Site Admin

Thank god we have a JB......the H-D funded design team at Buell obviously got it all wrong, constrained by noise emissions etc. they must have had to strangle the bike they were putting up against all the competition.
At least our very own JB (god bless him) has carried out his mods in a scientific manner with lots of data to support the results eg. exhaust sounds better etc. and yet for some unknown reason, he still struggles with the concept of a TPS reset and using the live data function that the shit Buell engineers provided :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 18 May 2019 21:30 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
My gift to you JB....

Attachments:
Air density ambient pressures temp C.jpg
Air density ambient pressures temp C.jpg [ 130.68 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 01:02 

Maz wrote:
Thank god we have a JB......the H-D funded design team at Buell obviously got it all wrong, constrained by noise emissions etc. they must have had to strangle the bike they were putting up against all the competition.
At least our very own JB (god bless him) has carried out his mods in a scientific manner with lots of data to support the results eg. exhaust sounds better etc. and yet for some unknown reason, he still struggles with the concept of a TPS reset and using the live data function that the shit Buell engineers provided :roll:

Hi Maz,
I definitely did not say that Buell design team had got it wrong, neither did I say they were shit engineers, so now that we've got that straight.
Yeah, scientific data would be very cool I agree but I don't really give a tinkers cuss about what science tells me about anything, I thought I'd that explained already in various threads on here.
HD & Buell set the bikes up within legal parameters same as all producers, I don't give a shit about those legal parameters either excepting if they are a necessity for the MOT.
I do agree that my results aren't very scientific, IE. "exhaust note has gone up a couple of decibels" but actually I can tell an awful lot from the exhaust "note" and from the induction "smack" just like I can tell an awful lot from various noises from within the engine with a simple Screwdriver Stethoscope.
As a matter of interest, I also remember having my Suzuki SV 1000 engine rebuilt under warranty & the guy from Suzuki actually listening to the bearings via that very method & ok-ing the engine rebuild on that (very un scientific basis).
As far as not understanding the live data function & TPS reset, I bet that makes you wonder how I get on with anything doesn't it? Fortunately Buells are Motorbikes same as I've had all my life and in the main everything still works pretty much the same, despite the advancements made with electronics & diagnostic applications. In actual fact these are turning out to be pretty simple electronic processes if I look at them with my computer hardware head on & have the wiring diagram in front of me.
The recommendations I have received from people who are I guess "interested" have been equally un-scientifically biased (in the main) but equally as valid as yours or anyone else's opinion even if it is more scientifically biased.
Listen, I'm not recommending anyone else does any of the mods I do, I'm simply telling others what I'm doing to my own machine & reporting the results. I'm certainly not & hope I don't come over as claiming to be an expert or anything, I'm simply interested in my bike & how it works. Finally, the one thing I really can't work out is why what I'm doing bothers you so much?

All the best Paul.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 710 Next