It is currently 20 Apr 2024 03:10

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next
PostPosted: 19 May 2019 01:02 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Ohsteveo wrote:
My gift to you JB....

Nice one Steve.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 06:23 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
"Buell different in every sence" .....just like their owners :couch: .

"one man's trash is another man's treasure "

What does it mean one man's trash is another man's treasure?
There's an old saying, “one man's trash is another man's treasure,” the etymology of which has been lost to time. The meaning is not literal but, typically, a commentary on how there is no judging for taste — what one person may think is worthless may be cherished by another.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 07:56 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
Ok, think l’ll stick to my Clio until l’ve had an 1125 to bits! ;)

Hi Edd

You don't need to have had an 1125 to bits to understand air flow.

Thanks for the suggestions Edd.

Ok l have a better understanding of the 1125 internal gubbins from reading about this subject on other web sites. What l couldn’t quite see from your pictures is what was actually left fitted on your bike of the air filter element and panels around the throttle bodies after removal of the RAS. :?

Putting heat resistant wrap under what’s left of the air filter box may still help as these bits of plastic still heat up over time during a ride due to their proximity, even with the extra air flow from stripping out everything else. :?

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 10:43 

edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
Ok, think l’ll stick to my Clio until l’ve had an 1125 to bits! ;)

Hi Edd

You don't need to have had an 1125 to bits to understand air flow.

Thanks for the suggestions Edd.

Ok l have a better understanding of the 1125 internal gubbins from reading about this subject on other web sites. What l couldn’t quite see from your pictures is what was actually left fitted on your bike of the air filter element and panels around the throttle bodies after removal of the RAS. :?

Putting heat resistant wrap under what’s left of the air filter box may still help as these bits of plastic still heat up over time during a ride due to their proximity, even with the extra air flow from stripping out everything else. :?

Hi Edd,

I think this is concise as this can be.

The RAS funnel had the front removed & been shortened to just poke into the air flow slightly on one of the corners, a slant cut really just out of line with the frame by about half an inch. Air now flows past this over the cylinder heads & around the bottom of the air box & throttle bodies. The air box bottom is intact with K&N the RAS is now simply a partial scoop in the air flow over the cylinder heads.
The Throttle bodies get all of their air from under the tank cover & can still utilise the partial scoop that pushes air up the rear of the Steering head & into the tank cover.

Does that explain what's been done?

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 11:08 

barney wrote:
"Buell different in every sence" .....just like their owners :couch: .

"one man's trash is another man's treasure "

What does it mean one man's trash is another man's treasure?
There's an old saying, “one man's trash is another man's treasure,” the etymology of which has been lost to time. The meaning is not literal but, typically, a commentary on how there is no judging for taste — what one person may think is worthless may be cherished by another.

Hi Barney,

Sorry you lost me on taste & treasure.
The mods I did weren't done on a taste basis.
They were totally functional and need to be judged on function basis.
SO.
Does the air flow much better over the cylinder heads? Yes.
Does this aid with running temp? Yes.
Does the bike run better? Yes.
Is the bike far more rideable? Yes.
Were the criteria of the initial idea fullfilled? Yes
Does it still need a bit of sorting? Always.

I think that's a success story myself and to be brutally honest I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks about what I've done, especially if they haven't any experience of doing it.
I'd far rather hear people contributing to an idea than slagging it off as that doesn't really help anything or contribute to the working ideas.

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 11:43 

I was working on my Ducati yesterday and had the bodywork off. The Ducati equivalent of the snorkel is very similar in size to that on my 1125, and yet is big enough to support about 50bhp more.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 15:33 

Adam wrote:
I was working on my Ducati yesterday and had the bodywork off. The Ducati equivalent of the snorkel is very similar in size to that on my 1125, and yet is big enough to support about 50bhp more.

Yeah I wouldn't have expected anything else, unfortunately, Ducati has the same restrictions on noise etc as everyone else. Only makes me wonder how it would go without it on there? Sorry Adam just the way I am I'm afraid.

Just to keep this thread on track.
I did a TPS reset before going out on mine today, didn't do shit to be honest, still got that cold running thing going on, at least it didn't screw up the ECU settings this time.
When it was warmed through it was fine, I did notice that the cold problem seemed to disappear very quickly around the time the Temp gauge wasn't saying cold & was actually reading a temp 66 degrees I think. Maybe that switching process is linked to the cold start over run thing? Definitely worth a look as that will be a sensor I guess, any ideas anyone to save me getting the Wiring diagram out again?
Anyway, had a great ride round my way "A & B" road blasting, 1125r handles great now (Thanks Maz) By the way, I also set the rear up with the figures you gave me, it was close excepting the rebound which was 2 full turns too far in, handles very well, Thanks again.
Got to say though that it's far more predictable as a whole bike now that I've had my naive and irresponsible hands round it and I F****n' love it, love it, love it!

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 16:31 

The Bains racing Ducati 1198 that had been very carefully developed on a dyno, and subjected to no restrictions, has the same intakes as the road bike.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 17:49 

Jazzbutcher wrote:

Hi Edd,

The RAS funnel had the front removed & been shortened to just poke into the air flow slightly on one of the corners, a slant cut really just out of line with the frame by about half an inch. Air now flows past this over the cylinder heads & around the bottom of the air box & throttle bodies. The air box bottom is intact with K&N the RAS is now simply a partial scoop in the air flow over the cylinder heads.
The Throttle bodies get all of their air from under the tank cover & can still utilise the partial scoop that pushes air up the rear of the Steering head & into the tank cover.

Yes thanks, l also watched a couple of videos on the 1125. One on fitting a K&N filter. Another chap just took out the inner air box cover and plug in section behind the filler cap. As you would expect this was noticeably louder in the video as this threw the induction sound upwards. :?

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 18:35 

Adam wrote:
The Bains racing Ducati 1198 that had been very carefully developed on a dyno, and subjected to no restrictions, has the same intakes as the road bike.

Thanks Adam,
I'm not sure that the Bains racing Ducati would have been running as shit as my 1125r was when I got it though.
I've also seen some enlarged front section intakes for the 1125r RAS, even thought about going down that route myself as my friend has a 3D printer.
Fortunately, what I've done seems to have worked fine so I'm inclined to stick with it & work out how to improve that.
The guy that does my bike MOTs was telling me about the dyno tester he uses, so I may have a look at that. Although to be honest, it all seems a bit much as I haven't even had this thing anywhere near flat out yet & not sure I'm that bothered with the front end skipping & making my bottler clank.
The MOT tester is also my friend & regularly rides my bikes & gives an opinion. He laughed his bollox off when I told him people on this site don't use stainless and also laughed his bollox off when he got back from riding my Buell, telling me that he didn't think there was anything much wrong with the fueling & the handling was on par with his GSX. That was before Maz did my forks.
This cold start thing isn't that much of a problem, It's just me who wants it spot on. If I was finding this all a bit too difficult, I would go back to the standard set up as I have a spare air box, but as it goes, it seems to run a fair bit better like this.

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019 18:50 

edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

Hi Edd,

Yes thanks, l also watched a couple of videos on the 1125. One on fitting a K&N filter. Another chap just took out the inner air box cover and plug in section behind the filler cap. As you would expect this was noticeably louder in the video as this threw the induction sound upwards. :?

Hi Edd,
Yeah I've watched those videos as well.
Taking that bit out behind the fuel filler is a waste of time on mine unless I wanted to use it as a chimney for hot air to escape whilst I'm stood in traffic, it isn't in the air flow at all on mine or theirs for that matter.
I've been thinking I may just block the Ram air route completely & make all that air go over the cylinder heads & cut some holes in my tank cover to get more air into the filter that way. That will stop most of the hot air getting into the cool air system and should look pretty cool as well.
Give me a bit of storage under the tank cover as well if I think about it enough ha ha.

All the best Edd. Paul.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019 06:42 

Just a brief update on my Clio Paul, before moderators bar cars on this section! lOl

I set the baffle behind my DIY intake scoop flat as that should give maximum pressure in the Clio’s bulkhead (unless l remove the baffle completely that is). On a run down the motorway the car felt quite leggy and under stressed even at only 10mph below it’s claimed top speed. A bit like my old Citroen GS. 8-)

However, my senses tell me the engine could be running a bit lean. The engine feels like it is breathing but can not produce more power. The air pressure build up at motorway speeds is probably pushing the envelope too far. It already has a K&N filter so could probably do with a re-chip to cope fully. From what l’ve read, I don’t think that the Clio has an adaptive ECU like my Buell XB.

There is a firm who claim they can add 16bhp and 14 lbs ft to the old 8v 1149cc lump with much improved drive ability for £399. Until l can afford that l think I’ll turn the baffle downwards to reduce the flow towards the air filter intake. I may even blank off some of the scoops grill, which is currently a circle 3 inches in diameter. Go max then tweak things down again until it runs at it’s sweetest. ;)

PostPosted: 21 May 2019 10:58 

edd wrote:
Just a brief update on my Clio Paul, before moderators bar cars on this section! lOl

I set the baffle behind my DIY intake scoop flat as that should give maximum pressure in the Clio’s bulkhead (unless l remove the baffle completely that is). On a run down the motorway the car felt quite leggy and under stressed even at only 10mph below it’s claimed top speed. A bit like my old Citroen GS. 8-)

However, my senses tell me the engine could be running a bit lean. The engine feels like it is breathing but can not produce more power. The air pressure build up at motorway speeds is probably pushing the envelope too far. It already has a K&N filter so could probably do with a re-chip to cope fully. From what l’ve read, I don’t think that the Clio has an adaptive ECU like my Buell XB.

There is a firm who claim they can add 16bhp and 14 lbs ft to the old 8v 1149cc lump with much improved drive ability for £399. Until l can afford that l think I’ll turn the baffle downwards to reduce the flow towards the air filter intake. I may even blank off some of the scoops grill, which is currently a circle 3 inches in diameter. Go max then tweak things down again until it runs at it’s sweetest. ;)

Hi Edd,
Would it be fair to assume your ram air thing is like an ante chamber section that builds pressure to feed the actual air box? Is that a fair assumption?
If so, It would be good to be able to operate the baffle from the cockpit so you could adjust whilst moving but not sure how difficult that would be, also fitting the baffle in front of the scoop grill may be an option effectively giving you variables on the fly if you like, if it was operable from the cockpit of course.
I was thinking two mesh grills one behind the other with a slide mech that would only need to move one mesh till it blocked the holes in the other. That way you can adjust for maximum or turn it down until it feels right as it's operating.
I'm guessing when you find maximum, you will stop needing the adjuster & just fix it in place.
Like you I always go on how it feels or sounds, especially when I'm in the realms of experimentation and standard settings no longer apply.
Maz gave me a very nice piece of info when I was trying stuff out & didn't quite understand the sensor array. Your air intake sensor & oxygen sensor should adjust the mixture to suit but I'm not sure if that works with a static setting on the ECU. (Non learning).

By the way Edd, understanding air flow & sensor arrays belongs in the realms of engines in general, just because your talking about your Clio, doesn't make it taboo (I wouldn't think anyway?) On top of that it's interesting as a project.
All the best with the job & let us (me) know how it goes ok.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019 23:04 

[quote="Jazzbutcher"

Hi Edd,
Would it be fair to assume your ram air thing is like an ante chamber section that builds pressure to feed the actual air box? Is that a fair assumption?
If so, It would be good to be able to operate the baffle from the cockpit so you could adjust whilst moving but not sure how difficult that would be, also fitting the baffle in front of the scoop grill may be an option effectively giving you variables on the fly if you like, if it was operable from the cockpit of course.
I was thinking two mesh grills one behind the other with a slide mech that would only need to move one mesh till it blocked the holes in the other. That way you can adjust for maximum or turn it down until it feels right as it's operating.
I'm guessing when you find maximum, you will stop needing the adjuster & just fix it in place.
Like you I always go on how it feels or sounds, especially when I'm in the realms of experimentation and standard settings no longer apply.
Maz gave me a very nice piece of info when I was trying stuff out & didn't quite understand the sensor array. Your air intake sensor & oxygen sensor should adjust the mixture to suit but I'm not sure if that works with a static setting on the ECU. (Non learning).

By the way Edd, understanding air flow & sensor arrays belongs in the realms of engines in general, just because your talking about your Clio, doesn't make it taboo (I wouldn't think anyway?) On top of that it's interesting as a project.
All the best with the job & let us (me) know how it goes ok.[/quote]

Yes your ante chamber assumption is spot on. Although l am only trying to enhance what Renault have built into the car to start with. That may prove difficult in the final analysis, but hey ho!

I like your idea about two meshes moving in and out of phase to vary the flow, very creative!

As for me worrying about talking cars on in a bike section? That’s just me being comical and pretending to have a persecution complex! lOl

PostPosted: 21 May 2019 23:35 

I’m not sure what l did there, but l got a ‘gateway time out’ message as l edited the text. :?

Another forum l read suggested that more realistic tuning results for the 1149cc 8v would be an increase from 60 to 66 bhp and from 69 up to 76 lbs ft. That sounds more likely. Peak torque is produced at only 2500 rpm or about 50mph in top, but it still helps to wind it up. The torque curve is very flat! ;)

A bit asthmatic then by today’s standards, but sometimes on a cool damp morning the motor makes some nice turbine like noises Through the K&N in the air box and the car rushes away surprisingly quickly given it’s ridiculous weight. It’s so heavy l can hardly push it, whereas l could run along side then jump in and bump start my 1389cc Nova lump on my own! :shock:

Some forums suggest that taking out the weight of the Clio’s rear seats, belts and trim is as good as another 6bhp anyway! lOl

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next