It is currently 25 Apr 2024 16:04

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2019 12:18 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Folks,
Just been out for around 15 miles after maintenance & mods during February.

1125r runs like a Honda in town nice & even paced right down to 26mph and below 3000 revs.
Power is delivered differently, low speed nice and smooth, easily manageable and not as hungry. Feels like I need to tighten up the throttle response probably just via cable taughtness & maybe spring tension or a quick action as they're usually a bit more precise.
Up to 70 very, very easy & smooth but power delivery over 4000 revs is much hungrier than before, it very much wants to go at this point but still very smooth. I'll keep you informed re this as I didn't want to give it any real stick on it's maiden run but I'm thinking Screaming Banshee burning in the fires of hell over 70mpn.
Air flow over the engine kept the engine on 82 degrees in town and 72 whilst driving.
Frame still gets warm but not really a long enough ride to really test this.
All in all very satisfied with both the maintenance jobs completed & the air box Modifications done.

I'll post again after I get the AFV readings but I'll give it another couple of longer runs now I know everything seems to be tight before I do them.

Just thought if you'd read the threads you may like to know how it turned out.

All the best folks.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2019 23:03 

Current ride: ULYSSES XB12X
:yup:

Good for you,

Churchill

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019 08:49 

CHURCHILL wrote:
:yup:

Good for you,

Churchill

Thanks Churchill.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019 17:29 

Hi Folks,
Another 25miles done this Am.
Gave it a bit more throttle rolling on to 7,000 revs in top gear & it's a different bike altogether from what it was.
Gone is the raucous, tank slapping, wheel lifting raw power, this has been replaced with a more sophisticated power delivery that is deceptively quick.
Predictable is the word that keeps coming to mind, it's so much easier to ride now & I can enjoy the ride as I'm not constantly wondering how it's going to react to dropping down a gear or a throttle blip.
Next time out I'm hoping to ride it very hard which should be a lot more informative & interesting.
Very pleased indeed with the results so far.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019 14:33 

Hi Folks,
Another 45 miles ridden this Am in the lull between storms.
Bike is so much more civilised all round, a little less so when it was warm & in traffic (but much, much better than it was before the mods). I'm moving the air temp sensor again from the channel left by the missing ram air system, (behind the steering column) to keep it from picking up heat from the cylinder heads, exhaust & radiator fans. It's now temporarily fixed in place in front of the horn to leave it in fresh air flow, I'm expecting this to work so I'll get busy making a bracket for it.

Thanks go to Edd :4roz: for his ideas & comments on Air temp sensors :yup:

This Am I gave it a bit more than rolling on to 7,000 revs, probably more like half of the throttle through the gears and it remained civilised & predictable. Two thirds + of the throttle 7,000 and above produced a massive surge of power and it definitely began to lose the civility.
This is kind of what I was expecting & has made Town & A/B road riding much more fun due to the predictability & smoother running of the engine.
I'm still expecting it to be brutal when ridden hard & it shows signs of being exactly that.
So I guess that's about that folks, thanks for reading.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019 21:36 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Sounds good! Nice one fella....

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019 00:08 

Thanks Steve.
Be interesting to see what you think if you come up in April.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019 16:33 

Current ride: 2001 X1//TRK 502x
Sounds as though it's heading in the direction you wanted, a dyno run before & after might have confirmed you " seat of the pants" feeling. Glad all your hard work had paid off.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019 01:04 

IBIS wrote:
Sounds as though it's heading in the direction you wanted, a dyno run before & after might have confirmed you " seat of the pants" feeling. Glad all your hard work had paid off.

Thanks IBIS.
Yeah get the dyno run thing, it's a great measuring idea, it's just a money thing for me, I don't have that much of it ha ha. I also did the mods to make it run smoothly & to have better control over the horses rather than for power boosting. Any power boost is a bonus that runs alongside that.

Doing the air filter box cost nothing as I bought the airbox mainly for the lid & the K&N filter a fair few months ago just to get the bike running something like.

The ECM from Pash is really what allowed me to do airbox. (Thanks Pash) :worthy:

The Exhaust also helps quite a bit despite Maz's un - supported misgivings.

Thanks also for the ideas & thinking shifters from members & for the site so we're able to do these things kind of "live", so others can see how they turn out as well. I know I might have put myself right on the line for criticism if it had gone to shit after being so up-front about what I was doing but
I'm still learning about the sensors & how they work in the real world and should be able to keep on honing the running as I learn more. It'll also help when it comes to getting inside the Spare ECM I now have to have a practice on.
Got one more longer run with the air temp sensor relocated & I'll do the AFVs but I can tell they're settling down, the relocation will keep the air temp steadier I'm hoping & hence the mixture of air & fuel will be corrected for stationary town traffic. This also costs me nothing to do.
I'm doing something that costs nothing with the wheels next & may take a cheap £4.00 spray can to those air funnels, should look much better after that.
I'll keep,posting on here if there's any interest. A thumbs up will do!
Thanks again for your comments, much appreciated. Paul.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 12:19 

Right then,

Last report from this up grade.

Another 30 miles this Am, bit windy for sure.

Temp sensor re-positioning seems to have worked out ok, bike's running very smoothly.

Gave the throttle a real twist & it goes really well.

Just done the AFV's 100 front 100 rear, would like the rear to be 105 but perhaps the cooling air flow over the cylinder heads is working as I hoped it would, which I think would explain the level 100s.

Other than that, none of the stainless bolts sheared or broke, lucky, lucky, lucky me, I'm a lucky son of a gun.

All the best folks.