It is currently 29 Mar 2024 10:06

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Bit of spit n polish
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 18:23 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
TOPGUMM wrote:
:shock: is that a hairline crack in your header :?:

Nah, impossible, it's stainless... :roll:

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 18:36 

Current ride: The wife
A pipe clip is a fantastic comparison to a number plate hanger :clap: outstanding

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 19:47 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
just image the red hammer is a single power stroke of a vee twin Buell and the sheet metal is your tail tidy
https://youtu.be/Hfl4pX1_gzU

Yeah, that isn't what I asked for is it?
Evidence of a broken stainless tail tidy was what I asked for.
The video doesn't really mean anything as the stroke of a Buell engine wouldn't be hitting in the middle of a sheet either.

The truth is guys, what I'm beginning to see is that some of you are stuck in standard mode, I'm fine with that, but when it comes to critiquing with your imagination running away with you, whilst in the realms of what may, might, could, if & all of that useless procrastinating bollocks, just leave me out of it, as it ain't real is it? It's your F****n' imagination.
I always get asked for evidence of things I've done and always provide them when asked, please have the courtesy to do the same, otherwise it's just meaningless bluster.

Talking of evidence, this is what I think to Buell standard bolts & brackets. Where's the bin?

In time, Paul you will learn that :maz: has a vast amount of knowledge based on twenty plus years of experience solely with Buell. You'll also learn that he doesn't suffer fools gladly and doesn't need to prove what he is telling you. He is not a bullshit merchant and gives us the benefit of his experience for no commercial gain.

We don't always see eye to eye but I would never question his technical wisdom. Don't get upset about it, just accept it as sound professional advice ;)

Steve

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 20:04 

The truth is guys, what I'm beginning to see is that some of you are stuck in standard mode, I'm fine with that, but when it comes to critiquing with your imagination running away with you, whilst in the realms of what may, might, could, if & all of that useless procrastinating bollocks, just leave me out of it, as it ain't real is it? It's your F****n' imagination.
I always get asked for evidence of things I've done and always provide them when asked, please have the courtesy to do the same, otherwise it's just meaningless bluster.

ImageP1010507 by ANDREW FRANCHI, on Flickr

Can't really accuse my bike of being stock and I don't think anyone else other than maybe Albert make more non stock stuff for Buells than me on here and lastly 3 engineers with a minimum of 110 years engineering experience are offering free advise based on experience that a stainless reg plate holder is shit, , just take the advise.
You'll be alright with one on yours as its a Harley not a Buell ;)

Andy

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 21:03 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Paul. I've no doubt you are an accomplished and experienced bloke in your field of work. But that's not engineering or metallurgy. There's plenty of information on the internet on the shear and tensile strength of various bolts and at the end of the day it's your choice. Stainless does have it's place in industry but that tends to be the food, chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Hygienic ( highly polished ) valves, pipes and pipe fittings are things of great beauty. But the down side of it is doesn't like vibration and repeated shock loads. It's brittle and it's also heavy compared to mild steel But in the right place it's not a problem. As I said it's your bike and your choice. But when you eventually sell it on I'd tell the next owner that the caliper bolts are stainless out of courtesy...............Dave

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 22:53 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
spondon440 wrote:

Can't really accuse my bike of being stock and I don't think anyone else other than maybe Albert make more non stock stuff for Buells than me on here and lastly 3 engineers with a minimum of 110 years engineering experience are offering free advise based on experience that a stainless reg plate holder is shit, , just take the advise.

Andy

I suppose that someone somewhere must be a 'standard mode' owner of a 'standard mode' Buell, but in 19 years of ownership, I've never seen one.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 05:03 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
rik wrote:
spondon440 wrote:

Andy

I suppose that someone somewhere must be a 'standard mode' owner of a 'standard mode' Buell, but in 19 years of ownership, I've never seen one.

you need to get out more yeeeee haaaaaaa :dance: wb

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 09:40 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
DaveH wrote:
Paul. I've no doubt you are an accomplished and experienced bloke in your field of work. But that's not engineering or metallurgy. There's plenty of information on the internet on the shear and tensile strength of various bolts and at the end of the day it's your choice. Stainless does have it's place in industry but that tends to be the food, chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Hygienic ( highly polished ) valves, pipes and pipe fittings are things of great beauty. But the down side of it is doesn't like vibration and repeated shock loads. It's brittle and it's also heavy compared to mild steel But in the right place it's not a problem. As I said it's your bike and your choice. But when you eventually sell it on I'd tell the next owner that the caliper bolts are stainless out of courtesy...............Dave

Hi Dave,
I always make a thing out of the fact it has stainless bolts throughout when I sell them on, it's usually seen as a positive rather than negative upgrade. But there you go, not on this site. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Buell for quite a while so I'll have to get used to the use of stainless being seen in that way. No Matter, thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 10:05 

ursus americanus wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
just image the red hammer is a single power stroke of a vee twin Buell and the sheet metal is your tail tidy
https://youtu.be/Hfl4pX1_gzU

Yeah, that isn't what I asked for is it?
Evidence of a broken stainless tail tidy was what I asked for.
The video doesn't really mean anything as the stroke of a Buell engine wouldn't be hitting in the middle of a sheet either.

Talking of evidence, this is what I think to Buell standard bolts & brackets. Where's the bin?

In time, Paul you will learn that :maz: has a vast amount of knowledge based on twenty plus years of experience solely with Buell. You'll also learn that he doesn't suffer fools gladly and doesn't need to prove what he is telling you. He is not a bullshit merchant and gives us the benefit of his experience for no commercial gain.

We don't always see eye to eye but I would never question his technical wisdom. Don't get upset about it, just accept it as sound professional advice ;)

Steve

Yeah I get the Maz thing & that he doesn't fools gladly, I don't think he bullshits, quite the opposite actually, kind of refreshing in a gruff sort of way.
This is just a situation where Maz & the whole forum I guess & Myself don't see eye to eye.
I'm ok with that.
What I do have difficulty with is that just because I haven't spent twenty years nursing Buells doesn't mean that the 45 years I've had with various other bike brands doesn't mean anything either.
I wasn't and am not upset about any of it, I just don't like people telling me things that I have been doing for years will fail as that fortunately has not been my experience ever.
The End.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 10:13 

spondon440 wrote:

Andy

Hi Andy,

Great looking bike. Nice to see it on the site.

Advice heard.

Don't get the last bit about mine being a Harley?

I may be wrong here yet again, but it's probably the furthest removed from Harley than any other Buell, furthermore if it was powered by a Harley Engine I wouldn't own it. My Firebolt taught me all I needed to know about Harley Engined Buells.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 10:39 

Finmows wrote:
A pipe clip is a fantastic comparison to a number plate hanger :clap: outstanding

Woof Woof.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 10:58 

Current ride: The wife
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Finmows wrote:

Woof Woof.

What the fuck are you on about?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 12:24 

Finmows wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Finmows wrote:

Woof Woof.

What the fuck are you on about?

The pipe clip wasn't a comparison, I've no idea where you got that idea from, it was just bait for a little bitch Collie waiting in the wings.
That reminds me got to take my dogs out.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 13:07 

Current ride: 2001 X1//TRK 502x
Paul, your opinion about the reliability of a Harley engine might be valid on the XB models as the " corporate bean counters" played a large part in the final design. However, the tuber models are completely different. Only last year Maz carried out a strip and rebuild, on my X1 the engin didn't even need new rings. That's after nineteen years of careful thrashing. I also have friends that have Harley's that have done over 100,000 miles. Yes you could argue that they are not in the same league as yours performance wise, but the technology is older too. There's those who love tubers & those who love their fuelers, each to their own & I made it a personal golden rule not to disrespect anybody's ride, no matter how tempted I am. ( technically the XB design was a Buell engine as although designed while Buell was owned by HD it of course never featured in a Harley badged bike. )

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019 13:26 

IBIS wrote:
Paul, your opinion about the reliability of a Harley engine might be valid on the XB models as the " corporate bean counters" played a large part in the final design. However, the tuber models are completely different. Only last year Maz carried out a strip and rebuild, on my X1 the engin didn't even need new rings. That's after nineteen years of careful thrashing. I also have friends that have Harley's that have done over 100,000 miles. Yes you could argue that they are not in the same league as yours performance wise, but the technology is older too. There's those who love tubers & those who love their fuelers, each to their own & I made it a personal golden rule not to disrespect anybody's ride, no matter how tempted I am. ( technically the XB design was a Buell engine as although designed while Buell was owned by HD it of course never featured in a Harley badged bike. )

Hi IBIS,

Truly mate, No disrespect meant, I'm not sure that I actually mentioned reliability at all. I just don't like the Harley Engines full stop.
I totally appreciate what Erik Buel did for them, My XB9 did 144 mph (on an airstrip of course) which is pretty damned good for a 1000 cc pushrod V twin, and I totally fell in love with the frame design which is astonishingly good.
I sold all my imperial allen keys, sockets, spanners etc with the Firebolt as I had resigned myself to never owning a Buell again, until I saw the Rotax engined 1125r & particularly the 2008 model and thought that's one mean looking F****r. This may well have had something to do with having owned an RSV Mille prior to my Triumph, but I feel in my bones it was the frame design with as far as I'm concerned a proper motor in it. Sorry guys.
I know nothing about Tubers or any other Buell other than my XB9, so would be arrogant indeed to blight them in any way and I do like the look of them and the way the engine looks like it's been prized into the frame.
However it still comes back to the Harley Engine which I just don't like, that's all it is!

Hope that explains a little better, sorry to anyone who thought I was slagging their bike. I wasn't.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next