It is currently 19 Apr 2024 20:07

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019 16:21 

Current ride: XB9SX
Bad weather bikers say 20 to 21 ft lbs for the triple clamps, which seems reasonable! :?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019 16:33 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
Bad weather bikers say 20 to 21 ft lbs for the triple clamps, which seems reasonable! :?

So stop when they're tight then? heh heh.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019 20:58 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
edd wrote:
If you do it yourself obviously l accept no responsibility for what l say on this site if taken as instructions as l do not know the 1125 model well, etc, etc :old:

I think the XB had cutouts in the head bearing recesses to aid tapping them out. I think l used a bearing puller to remove them (it was 4 years ago! :shock: ).

I don’t know if the 1125 has the same crap ball bearing races as the XB? If so after putting it all together and torquing down the top nut. Remember to rotate the steering from lock to lock a few times, torque down then rotate again to seat the bearings and torque down again to the set value (43 ft lbs on my XB). I did this 3 times. There should be a steering resistance pull value in the manual, but like you Paul l just wing it and go by feel! lOl

Thanks Edd,

You're a Star, I shall pay heed to all of that as I'm guessing they are the same very unimpressive steering bearings, that I just know are gonna be F****d up as quickly as the wheel bearings.
At least for the wheels you can get some better bearings, these steering ones just look shit before you even fit them.
I have an idea to get some decent ones though, I'll pass it on if it works out ok.
Still pretty sure I can get at everything I need to without making it a major operation, but we'll see.
I just got some Internal bearing pullers for the wheel bearings as I'll be doing them next time, so I can have a go with them on the steering head ones, or it'll be the long square section screwdriver drift heh heh.
If winging it uses all your past experience then yes I wing all of it, all the time, the manual is a good guide, not a bible.
I'll let you know how it goes Edd. Thanks again for the tips & info. All the best Paul.

JB...I have a good set of bearing pullers should you want them...

Thanks for the offer Steve, very good of you. I purchased a set as I'm going to need them for the next wheel bearing change.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019 22:34 

Current ride: XB9SX
Jazzbutcher wrote:

Thanks Edd,

You're a Star, I shall pay heed to all of that as I'm guessing they are the same very unimpressive steering bearings, that I just know are gonna be F****d up as quickly as the wheel bearings.
At least for the wheels you can get some better bearings, these steering ones just look shit before you even fit them.
I have an idea to get some decent ones though, I'll pass it on if it works out ok.
Still pretty sure I can get at everything I need to without making it a major operation, but we'll see.
I just got some Internal bearing pullers for the wheel bearings as I'll be doing them next time, so I can have a go with them on the steering head ones, or it'll be the long square section screwdriver drift heh heh.
If winging it uses all your past experience then yes I wing all of it, all the time, the manual is a good guide, not a bible.
I'll let you know how it goes Edd. Thanks again for the tips & info. All the best Paul.

Mind though, you are talking to the man who got 15k out of a set of rear wheel bearings (riding all year, but avoiding rain?). Still the XBs head bearings have needed replacing every 9,500 miles as regular as clockwork! ;)

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019 23:06 

edd wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

Thanks Edd,

Mind though, you are talking to the man who got 15k out of a set of rear wheel bearings (riding all year, but avoiding rain?). Still the XBs head bearings have needed replacing every 9,500 miles as regular as clockwork! ;)

Hi Edd,
I don't have time to change the steering bearings before Santa Pod but the new rear wheel bearings seem to have stopped the front wheel skipping to the right under hefty acceleration. So hopefully if I do have a go on the drag strip this time it'll stay in a straight line.
I'll do the steering bearings beginning of next week so I'll let you know how it goes, should have the new tools I've ordered by then also.
Thanks again for your attention and Tips, very good of you Edd.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019 23:12 

Hi Edd, Steve.

Just machined a set of bearing presses/drifts for the head stock bearings today, (which also double up as front & rear wheel bearing presses/drifts).
I'll post pics tomorrow as I'm still finishing them off although I'm over at my Father in Laws In Sheffield & out tomorrow night so time limited but should get them done in the morning. Just ordered some 10mm threaded bar to order to make them work.
Bearing pullers should be here tomorrow as well, so ready to get on with that job next week after Santa Pod if the weather stays clear, (which isn't looking great to be honest).
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019 23:35 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
:yup: sounds like you're sorted!...don't forget a tub of grease and your torque wrench :D

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019 11:36 

Hi Folks,
If you can see past the shit turning.
Just made these to fit my 1125r steering head bearings with.
Bit of threaded bar through the middle, nuts & washers & press away.

They also fit the wheel bearings (Bonus).

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019 11:37 

Damn,

Forgot the pics

Attachments:
Press 1.jpg
Press 1.jpg [ 583.41 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]
Press2.jpg
Press2.jpg [ 753.9 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019 10:14 

Adequate Tooling for Steering Head & future Wheel Bearings I think.
Now there's commitment for you after wavering over my old Triumph.
Also got a spare set of wheel bearings for next year heh heh.

Attachments:
Bearing tools.JPG
Bearing tools.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 782 times ]