It is currently 20 Apr 2024 06:39

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: E10
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 07:46 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Stopped at the BP garage this morning and topped up with Ultimate - I couldn't find any info on it and the poor chap behind the counter looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights when I asked him for details. I expect he'll have to ask his mum :D

I find all this a little worrying - whilst I only do about 12k a year on the bikes I really don't want them buggered by petrol. I shall stick with the good stuff but it sounds like that might not be safe either :(

We live in interesting times. Could be worse - we could have complete buffoons in charge of the UK and USA...hang on... :shock:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 08:39 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
On a slightly different track , many years ago ( 1980’s) when they reduced the lead in petrol there used to an advert for some tin/alloy pellets ( full cat ???) That you placed in the fuel tank that allegedly were based on WW2 tech used for aero engines , these Pellets improved the fuel and restored performance .
Has anybody used this type of fuel additive and what were the results?
Looking to use something of this nature in an old engine, not fitted with stellite valve, seats.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 09:32 

barney wrote:
On a slightly different track , many years ago ( 1980’s) when they reduced the lead in petrol there used to an advert for some tin/alloy pellets ( full cat ???) That you placed in the fuel tank that allegedly were based on WW2 tech used for aero engines , these Pellets improved the fuel and restored performance .
Looking to use something of this nature in an old engine, not fitted with stellite valve, seats.

I've never bothered with getting valve seats etc changed for modern fuels on my old bikes and never noticed valve recession etc. That said, I don't do big miles on my old bikes or thrash them mercilessly. I work on the theory that they have probably work hardened by this time lOl

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 10:07 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
barney wrote:

Hi Barney I knew a guy who toured China & surrounding areas back in the seventies on a stationary engined 500cc Triumph, he had one of those things in his tank to deal with the different grades of petrol he could find out there. I did have a look at it & it looked like metal balls enclosed in a wire cage.
I personally used to use something called FS1, it was a heat seeking molecule lubricant that treated the metal of the valve seats, one treatment lasted forever.
That was before Castrol bought it & put it in their Magnatec oil, I'm not sure if you can get it individually now unfortunately.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 10:22 

This is it, The petrol treatment one for the valve seats is still nearly full.

Attachments:
Hyperform.jpg
Hyperform.jpg [ 955.69 KiB | Viewed 776 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 11:22 

Sorry Barney forgot to say your welcome to try this if you want, just stick it in your tank with a full tank of petrol & it will do it's thing. I used this on my T160 with Hyde conversion without any problems.
Let me know if you want it, I was just using it on my chains.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019 15:30 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
JB
I was just thinking out a loud , going to be a couple of years or more :roll: before I will need a cure for the lack of 4 star leaded petrol ,I could always just put some avgas in , if it’s only going to be limited mileage

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019 18:12 

barney wrote:
JB
I was just thinking out a loud , going to be a couple of years or more :roll: before I will need a cure for the lack of 4 star leaded petrol ,I could always just put some avgas in , if it’s only going to be limited mileage

No matter, I'll stick it in my 1125r.