It is currently 24 Apr 2024 16:22

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: 1125r Cooling system
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 10:53 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi folks,
I'll try to get most answers in here.
I'm pretty sure Erik & his Team were well aware of the constraints placed on them to get a new model out, the first model of any series usually has room for improvement in my experience and as Erik himself showed when he produced the CR with many improvements over the R model. Still didn't move the radiators until the EBR models but they did realise in the end that blowing hot air into the intake & onto the engine didn't work very well.
Yes :maz: I do tend to have time on my hands (not so much of the money stuff but lots of time) so I try to experiment to improve the running of my 1125r with bits I can afford.
I don't see anything wrong with getting the best out of my bike & as I've said before, there is much to learn & try with this 1125r, that's why I love working on it so much. I only put stuff on here so others might also benefit from any improvements that work for me, that may work for others.
If people just want to comment about me personally, that's fine, I'm just who I am trying to get the best out of an undeveloped Buell model that was rushed out & got slagged (read the reviews) pretty much for it's lumpy running as well as lots of other design details.
Mine isn't lumpy any more (That's fixed) & although my methods may not meet up with anyone else's expectations or craving for standard methodologies, I don't really care a tinkers cuss, the bike meets my expectations far better now which is the important part.
The cooling system has been on my agenda from the beginning as it certainly doesn't meet my criteria especially when in slow moving traffic.
I'll also sort this out in my usual unorthodox manner & people can watch the results.
I will also add that if anyone with an 1125r wants to come & ride mine to see the improvements for themselves they are very welcome, I don't lie about what I'm doing I just get stuff done. Whether people agree with my methods is of no concern to me.
So, Steve, just to define hot running (my interpretation) is anything over 80 degrees on this 1125r, so my aim is to keep the bike within this range. If other owners are ok with their bikes running higher temps than that that's fine by me but there is an ideal running temp for your oil & engine. Mine seems to be 70/80 degrees so that's my aim, if I can get ot to run at 75 that would be a bonus. Fitting another fan with a simple click switch from the auxiliary port seems to me to be a pretty good idea to force air flow over the heads & between the frame members, which in actual fact will also cool the airbox so that cold air is drawn in instead of warm. I'm sure we all know cold air contains more oxygen. The exit routes for hot air (Thanks Al1125r) may also need improving which will mean altering the undertray, this will still look standard to anyone not familiar with 1125r's.
As for leaving the bike alone, it ain't gonna happen till it's finished to my specs and to very honest it actually still looks Standard excepting for the exhaust. The next time I meet up with any UKBEG members take a look. If I wasn't telling you any of this you probably wouldn't be aware.
Questions like why are you doing this and how are you doing that are far more helpful to myself & others I guess than just commenting on my unorthodox methods or my personality.
My methods (I'm guessing) only seem unorthodox cause you don't understand why I'm doing them despite me trying to tell you.
Hope that answered most of it.
I'll post pics when I'm done, you can make your own assessments from them about whether the experiments were worthwhile or not. This will still only be your opinion & I've already said I don't care about those if the mods work. For the sake of equality, if they don't work I will also be honest about that, they're just experiments.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 11:07 

Kiwi wrote:
Jazzy, mines at 20+ thousand miles and there have been problems of course, but never overheating, even in a Brighton traffic jam in 30+ degrees...

What problems do you have above 80??

Not much to be honest, I simply don't like the bike running over 80 degrees, it feels too hot for it's own good and draws rising hot air into the air box as the air get's into the filter box from below the tank cover. Hot engine, hot frame, hot air rising makes the bike hotter still. Cold air blown over the engine & under the air box will definitely help with this. Click the extra fan switch, goodbye heat & hot air hopefully.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 13:32 

Current ride: 1125r, Ducati Darmah
Jazzbutcher, Google " 12v DC UPS cooling fan ", click on "images" Plenty of choice there.You could mount it some where towards the back of the bike and pull the air through.There is a nice bit of space to the left of the rear shock. Which ever way it`s done be careful as the airflow will want to draw in the hot air from the rads. Think how the Britten motor was cooled and how he routed the air to the rad and the airbox. There are fairings available that have an intake on the leading edge, drawing in cold air and helping the ram air system to work.Sorry, must not mention Ram air System..... ;) Do as much as you can to block any radiant heat,
Every little thing you do will add up and help ! Even shaping the leading edge of the rear manifold heat shield to help cool the exhaust, again make sure the air has somewhere to go out.
Hope this provides some help. Good Luck. Alastair.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 16:06 

al1125r wrote:
Jazzbutcher, Google " 12v DC UPS cooling fan ", click on "images" Plenty of choice there.You could mount it some where towards the back of the bike and pull the air through.There is a nice bit of space to the left of the rear shock. Which ever way it`s done be careful as the airflow will want to draw in the hot air from the rads. Think how the Britten motor was cooled and how he routed the air to the rad and the airbox. There are fairings available that have an intake on the leading edge, drawing in cold air and helping the ram air system to work.Sorry, must not mention Ram air System..... ;) Do as much as you can to block any radiant heat,
Every little thing you do will add up and help ! Even shaping the leading edge of the rear manifold heat shield to help cool the exhaust, again make sure the air has somewhere to go out.
Hope this provides some help. Good Luck. Alastair.

Hi al112r,
Yeah already checked some other fans out, the Buell was the best starting option to get air going through, I have looked at some blower fans which as you say would fit in the space you mentioned but can't establish the longevity, ball bearing fans but plastic outers which I'm guessing would have a hard time in either of the spots I'd like to mount them.
The Buell one is going above & in front of the rad fans hopefully? So it draws from the cold air & won't block too much of the natural air flow, I've also got an idea re the exhaust shield although flaring it to scoop as you said would really help.
Thanks for the tip re shielding I've got 3 rolls of gold fibre tape, I've done the underside of the air box with it & did think about doing the frame spars & frame cross member as well as the shocker top.but decided against that as I wasn't sure it would help much, also it's fiddly as anything to get to, but like you say every little will help. So I'll get on with that whilst I await the fan's delivery.
Thanks for the information & support. Well appreciated.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 16:51 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Kiwi wrote:
Jazzy, mines at 20+ thousand miles and there have been problems of course, but never overheating, even in a Brighton traffic jam in 30+ degrees...

Not much to be honest, I simply don't like the bike running over 80 degrees, it feels too hot for it's own good and draws rising hot air into the air box as the air get's into the filter box from below the tank cover. Hot engine, hot frame, hot air rising makes the bike hotter still. Cold air blown over the engine & under the air box will definitely help with this. Click the extra fan switch, goodbye heat & hot air hopefully.

I can see this...in a stationary queue my bike temps rise quickly due to the circumstances you mention making heat rejection a difficult goal to achieve....until airflow starts again when they drop.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 16:57 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car- ... &0&cc5_171
Snake oil?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 17:37 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

I can see this...in a stationary queue my bike temps rise quickly due to the circumstances you mention making heat rejection a difficult goal to achieve....until airflow starts again when they drop.

Yeah mines 75/76 when it's moving & runs great at that, but 10 or more degrees is a lot in a few minutes in traffic especially as the frame tends to hold the heat for a lot longer so as soon as I slow again up the temp goes. There is also the tank breather to think about as that tends to spatter when cornering or when the fuel is being swished about, not great on left turns & it's a lot more difficult than it seems to re-route it anywhere else that will do less harm. Unless I route it behind the number plate or something like that so it goes behind me heh heh.
Maybe the frame coated in the gold fibre tape will reflect some of the radiated heat as al1125r suggested. I had dismissed this & I was already under the air box yesterday having a look and it looked a bit of a faff, but thinking about it, if heat is caught in the radiating stage which the tape should do, it should be easier to blow away? I'm gonna try that anyway as there is nothing to lose & it'll use the tape. It was the reason I bought it, I was just being a lazy f**k yesterday I guess.
Thanks for your continuing support Steve.
By the way wetter water does work, it's what fairy liquid does in the sink with your pots & pans.
No I'm not suggesting I put fairy in the rad.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 19:03 

"By the way wetter water does work, it's what fairy liquid does in the sink with your pots & pans.

No I'm not suggesting I put fairy in the rad."

Might clash with the one in the saddle....no offence :dance:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 19:46 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Ohsteveo wrote:

Might clash with the one in the saddle....no offence :dance:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

OK, keep us posted.

The hot bike is nice on a cold winter day though ae ;)

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 20:07 
Site Admin

....especially the air cooled XB in the same frame which run at 200 C :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 20:43 

Current ride: X1 2001
...giving your bollocks that "boil in a bag curry " sensation :shock:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 22:18 

Nutah wrote:

Get the tassled chaps out & get some air around them, or fit another fan on the tank cover :dance:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 22:20 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Nutah wrote:

Get the tassled chaps out & get some air around them, or fit another fan on the tank cover :dance:

I think Osteveo has a spare pair

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 22:35 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Maz wrote:
....especially the air cooled XB in the same frame which run at 200 C :roll:

200! Bloody hell :shock:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019 22:52 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Nutah wrote:

I think Osteveo has a spare pair

Last time I checked, I only had one pair of balls.......admittedly unfeasibly large ones but still.... :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next