It is currently 20 Apr 2024 14:42

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: 1125r Cooling system
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 18:05 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
al1125r wrote:
That`s a bit of a schoolboy error Jazzbutcher :) To help you work out how much gap you need; I have 10 weight oil in my forks with no change in volume from factory,

Hi al1125r,
Just as a matter of interest, you might find that the fork air gap has changed from the Factory setting, Maz put me right with that when he did my forks. The air gap was revised to 117mm, so if you haven't updated the gap, I would, made a real difference to mine.
All the best. Paul

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 20:23 

Current ride: 1125r, Ducati Darmah
Hi Jazzbutcher, I set the air gap to 110mm,works well for me to.

" Or I can as you suggested, pull air through the frame with one of the above fans, which means pulling warm air through the radiator fans unfortunately." Don`t you mean "from" the radiator fans not "through" ?

The rad fans draw in air through the pods and blow the warmer air to the headstock area so your fan will draw in warm air also Which is why I also suggested reversing the flow through the rads. :D

Get some of these https://www.omega.co.uk/pptst/TL-10.html and do some measuring ! Their Temp range goes from 40 C up to 260 C
Have fun, Alastair.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 20:33 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Or one of these......stationary use only.. :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Contact- ... ect=mobile

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 21:10 

al1125r wrote:
Hi Jazzbutcher, I set the air gap to 110mm,works well for me to.

" Or I can as you suggested, pull air through the frame with one of the above fans, which means pulling warm air through the radiator fans unfortunately." Don`t you mean "from" the radiator fans not "through" ?

The rad fans draw in air through the pods and blow the warmer air to the headstock area so your fan will draw in warm air also Which is why I also suggested reversing the flow through the rads. :D

Get some of these https://www.omega.co.uk/pptst/TL-10.html and do some measuring ! Their Temp range goes from 40 C up to 260 C
Have fun, Alastair.

Yeah not sure about reversing the flow on the fans, & yes air from the fans but it still comes through the rads.
I've got a couple of smaller fans 120mm & not as deep as the SPAL ones, one for the front & one for the back at the side of the rear shocker to aid the flow rate over the heads & through the frame spars, both will work together on the same switching system I've got now. They only draw 4.2 amps together, just got to wait for delivery from China. Unfortunately that's where most stuff is produced now or the USA but tax & delivery prohibits me from dealing with the USA. So China it is.
The heat sensors look interesting.
I'll keep you updated. Paul.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 21:11 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Or one of these......stationary use only.. :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Contact- ... ect=mobile

Yeah, thanks Steve, that's a good idea as well.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019 16:12 

Further to the cooling system experiment, I have made another heat guide, this gets rid of the shit plastic thing & aids air flow through the frame spars as it eliminates a gap.

Attachments:
Engine panel.jpg
Engine panel.jpg [ 937.87 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2019 15:35 

Hi Folks,
The new rear baffle plate I made (see pic) works a treat, it's redirected the hot air from the engine through the gaps between frame & swingarm/frame & subframe (instead of onto them like the original used to do). I just have one more mod to do to it which is an inner baffle plate so the hot air also misses the right side of the frame/engine lug completely & also shield it from the exhaust header.
I'll get on that later now I have a pattern plate made that works. I also have a spare mounting point now the old baffle plate is gone (not many of those on these 1125r's). I could do with another mount on the front end of the baffle plate though or maybe a strengthening spar on the inside.
The baffle plate gets surprisingly hot but as it's alloy it loses the heat quickly & when moving as it's in free air on the outside, so gets cooled anyway.
This should all work a lot better when the new fans arrive & are fitted.
Engine temp range when moving 76 degrees & when standing up to 86 degrees (where I become more aware of the engine noise). It could do with staying at 76-80, I'm sure all Buell owners are aware of which temps their bikes operates best at, these are definitely my 1125r's.
Seems to be working out ok though. I'll keep you updated.
All the best.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019 18:23 

Hi Folks,
New fans arrived today (look pretty good) along with a nice little catch tank (for the petrol tank breather to stop petrol going under my rear wheel on left turns) & a new 200 crank amp battery (bargain).
Fitted the front Fan but having trouble with the wiring again, nothing wrong with the fuse for the Aux port so guess I'll have to check through the switch & connections etc & re-wire if I can't find anything obvious. Not a long job, just really fiddly getting access to stuff on these 1125r's, never come across a bike with everything so tightly packed.
Ah well, on & on it goes.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019 22:12 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Folks,
The new rear baffle plate I made (see pic) works a treat, it's redirected the hot air from the engine through the gaps between frame & swingarm/frame & subframe (instead of onto them like the original used to do). I just have one more mod to do to it which is an inner baffle plate so the hot air also misses the right side of the frame/engine lug completely & also shield it from the exhaust header.
I'll get on that later now I have a pattern plate made that works. I also have a spare mounting point now the old baffle plate is gone (not many of those on these 1125r's). I could do with another mount on the front end of the baffle plate though or maybe a strengthening spar on the inside.
The baffle plate gets surprisingly hot but as it's alloy it loses the heat quickly & when moving as it's in free air on the outside, so gets cooled anyway.
This should all work a lot better when the new fans arrive & are fitted.
Engine temp range when moving 76 degrees & when standing up to 86 degrees (where I become more aware of the engine noise). It could do with staying at 76-80, I'm sure all Buell owners are aware of which temps their bikes operates best at, these are definitely my 1125r's.
Seems to be working out ok though. I'll keep you updated.

All the best.
:yup:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019 10:04 

Hi folks,
The Auxiliary power port on my 1125r doesn't seem to have any power going through it at the moment, so having to quickly rewire direct from the battery.
Not sure if I should fit a relay but for the moment sticking a low amp fuse in line a I just want to get it done for tomorrow for my run down to Santa Pod.
Anyone got any advice re a relay or if a low amp fuse will do for the time being?
I'm getting on with it right after this laying out & cutting wiring etc any immediate help would be great.
Thanks for your attention. Paul.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019 12:43 

Current ride: X1 2001
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/templates_s ... kg-co2.jpg

:mrgreen:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... ays-part-3 :here:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019 12:56 

Nutah wrote:
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/templates_safelincs/shopimages/products/high/ultrafire-2kg-co2.jpg

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... ays-part-3 :here:

Thanks Nutah,
The fire extinguisher made me laugh. I do in fact have a big foam spray one in my garage.
I've done the wiring now direct from the battery, no relay just an in line 5 amp fuse so should be safe enough. Seems to work fine.
All the best & thanks for your attention/info.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019 17:13 

Current ride: X1 2001

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019 10:27 

Chinese fan works fine although I have worries regarding it's waterproofing to be honest. May have to find some better ones or use the motor from the original SPAL fan on the front & lose the housing guard.
Holds the bike temp down though. Watched the engine temp drop from 84/5 & rising, come down to 80/1 with a click of the switch whilst sitting in a queue yesterday.
I'll fit the rear one when I get time which should further enhance this capability.
Running temp of the bike now at 85 - 90+ mph (for a fair while) remained at 74/76 degrees which is about right for my 1125r, this was without the fan but with the new heat sinks/air guides in place.
So seems to be working out ok & a pretty successful experiment so far.
Keep forgetting to feel the frame temp but still loses petrol from the breather, I have got a neat little catch tank to solve this, just got to find somewhere to fit it. That should solve the rear wheel slipping on hard left turns because of the petrol going under the tyre from the standard breather.
After Santa Pod I could look at the tuning of the ECU (more gas) but think this may sacrifice the smooth running I've got at the moment throughout the range, so maybe not. As I said at the beginning, this isn't about speed but about having a bike that runs well.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019 13:25 

Hi Folks,
Sorry this is a bit off the Cooling system but I mentioned doing in this thread so here you go.
Just fitted the petrol catch tank to stop petrol going under my rear wheel.
Here it is.
All the best. Paul.

Attachments:
Oil catch 4.jpg
Oil catch 4.jpg [ 587.79 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]
Oil catch.01.jpg
Oil catch.01.jpg [ 973.34 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next