Last visit was: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 am It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: Colour of Springs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:20 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
I was incorrect in saying that the FS tensioner hits the muffler. It was actually brushing against the crescent shaped bracket under the motor which the muffler is clamped to. This is with a 1.5mm washer on each stud inboard of the tensioner. :roll:

The lower inner frame of the FS has a nice shiny strip where the exhaust mount bracket has rubbed away the anodising. This is handy as it shows where to shave off more metal if you have a mind to. This part of the tensioner is in compression and should be able to stand the grinding off of a little more alloy to finish what the exhaust bracket started. ;) A minute or two later l had filed and polished away a smidgeon more alloy to the inner edge of where it had previously been clipping. There is now lots of free movement of the tensioner, which is surprising given how little metal l removed. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 pm 

Had a brief run this afternoon, and while not a fail the Malossi spring is showing some limitations. :roll:

The spring needs winding up to about a third on the adjuster just to overcome the inertia of the drive train, but once there it seems to be at a sweet spot. There is free movement without bottoming out. Slackening the adjuster just makes the tensioner hit the exhaust mount again, which is annoying. I need to use a mini mirror to see just where it’s fouling again! :?

I will do a longer run at the weekend to test durability. I guess that you can’t defy physics no matter how good a springs pedigree. To get the power with the springiness l may just have to use a much bigger cross section of coil. There is room in the FS to use a wider spring if l machine out the spring seat at the front (l have a spare unit which l may sacrifice) or just make a small seating flange for whatever spring l eventually find. 18mm or 3/4 inch diameter coils may be possible. At the adjuster end it is quite easy to insert a stop washer. I am using a 16mm brass stop washer now between the adjuster and the spring. Still never give up (never surrender! :hehe: ) The Malossi might go the distance yet. 8-)

Stop Press: If anyone has the need ‘The Range’ are doing those plastic coloured number plate bolt sets on their motor bits stand and they have the extra long ones which hold better. I needed longer ones for my modified rear plate holder. :dance:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:19 am 

Regardless of how my current Malossi spring stands up to a longer run, l have designed a revised spring set up for in my quest for FS spring compliance over power! Although l may not actually fit this one until after my XBs pending MOT. ;)

One annoying aspect of looking for springs online is that there are many sellers of stronger racing clutch springs for various bikes, but few specify actual dimensions! :roll: I still have to visit a bike breakers with my electronic micrometer to measure a few with.

There is a 2mm gap above the spring and the FS frame. This is why l estimate that an 18mm OD spring is possible. Towards the front of the FS the frame curves down towards the spring socket, which presents a snag, but also a potential solution. By grinding off the end of a larger springs tapered end coil you can create a natural recess which the curved FS frame will slot into. :idea: My plan for a larger spring was always to get an end stop with a 15mm stub one side and a 12 or 13mm stub opposite turned on a lathe which will clip into the FS spring socket and retain a larger spring without having to modify the FS. ;)

Not having obtained an 18mm spring yet, l hit on the idea of using one of my Honda 125 valve springs as a ‘test mule’. These springs are 27mm long by 20mm OD. Too wide, but possible by grinding a flat on one side of the spring so that it will fit in the FS. Then l thought about using this as well as the Malossi by resting it piggy back on the smaller spring. I have a 20mm stop washer to hold both springs at the adjuster end. At the front end l ground off the end of the Honda springs last coil so that it slots in above the Malossi due to it’s shorter effective length. This dual spring combo is significantly more powerful than the previous single, but strangely more easily compressible than any of my Indiamart colour springs. I can’t wait to try this out, but there’s no time to install it before my next ride out. :|

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2