It is currently 20 Apr 2024 06:31

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A Grand Day Out?
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 08:55 

Current ride: XB9SX
Yesterday was my first real ‘ride out’ this year, not being limited by time, needing to be close to home or having to combine my run with errands or social aspects however pleasant. Even yesterday events outside my control robbed me of 3 hours riding. It was ok in the end. Some poor souls have lost much more in the Covid fiasco. Some have no time, no money, no Buell, no bike even, or no will to ride! :?

So at 5 minutes to midday l eventually pressed the starter, topped up with Shell Superunleaded and headed west. We all have our favourite route to the good times. One of ours is the Peterstow to Abergavenny road just north of Ross-on-wye, 18 miles of not very fast twisty and hilly tarmac. If you are feeling a bit rusty at the start, you will be truly in the groove by the Welsh border near Skenfrith.

At Abergavenny you turn left then left again at the old high street to arrive at the ‘Bus Stop’ a favourite pit stop for bikers. I had been told that the regular food counter was closed, but it was open yesterday albeit with a slightly reduced menu of burgers and bacon baps to go with your coffee. ;)

There were some nice bikes there including a couple of those weird and wonderful 701 Svartpulen sporty big singles. They look and sound like an oversized 125, but scoot away quite rapidly on what looked like a mere sniff of the throttle. I expect that a few bigger sports bikes get surprised by a well ridden 701, a bit like a latter day Arter Matchless? 8-)

A tricked up tri-colour 1098 Duke rattled into the car park with one of those annoying rotating tambourine dry clutch thingies. Being obsessed with springs at the moment l spied a few likely looking shiny coils bolted into the clutch unit. I wondered if l could quickly whip out spring numbers 1 and 4 before the owner noticed or thought they had just rattled lose on the road somewhere! :hehe:

There was also a very tidy original AMF Harley 250 single stroker from the 1970s. I had only ever seen one of these in pictures on the back of Cycle magazine back when, but l had always thought they were good looking. Strange how l grew to hate 2 strokes then, but now their rarity seems to add to their appeal today. 8-)

Time was getting short so l headed home again via the B4598 which runs parallel to the A40 dual cabbage way. This road also passes the ‘Steel Horse’ pub on the turning south to Usk. This pub is sadly shut at present, but is another popular biker haunt which did a good full English when open.

I took the dual for the section between Monmouth and Ross just to make up time, but switched back to the A449 to Ledbury. The little XB was really going well at this stage with that intoxicating rush of torque with matching soundtrack from 3500 onwards, but l doubt if l ever went over 5000 before rolling off or braking on those fun roads. ;)

Even the little Malossi spring lasted the distance. lOl

Hope more of you are also getting out to enjoy the weather! :sun:

Post subject: Re: A Grand Day Out?
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 13:59 

Excuse me; also wik Vitpilen, Met inte Slativartpilen! lOl

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 13:59 

Current ride: 1999 X1
Looks like England where I live. Nothing but rain and lots of storms threatening. Hurricane season is just lovely. :roll: Normally wouldn't bother me but my commute is only 8 minutes each way @ 90 mph. Takes longer to put on my Rukka suit so it's easier to drive the steel coffin.

On the plus side, all this rain is cooling things off.

Glad you got out for some fun.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 14:19 

If it was anything like a Tom Artur creation, the rider would be a speccy little fek, eating Wagon Wheels ;)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 17:55 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Nice write up - had a cracking run up to the David Stirling Memorial Saturday on the Spitfire. Lovely day with light traffic and great road conditions. Great to be out and about.

Feels like we missed a pretty good summer of riding. Hopefully next year...

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 18:51 

Current ride: X1 2001
:yt: :yup: x2

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 23:21 

Current ride: A black one
edd wrote:
Hope more of you are also getting out to enjoy the weather! :sun:

I too took the Buell out for its first outing in more than a year :oooops: . Fresh oil, new filter, battery and enough fuel not to have to stop. Had a brilliant ride around Pembrokeshire, yesterday and today.

As Att recently said
Quote:
Make the most of it folks, it will be over sooner than you think!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020 18:29 

Sticking with the theme of using it, a motorcyclist was sadly killed yesterday on the M4 near Swansea. He was 70, and I thought (rather ungallantly) what was the old duffer doing? I then reflected that I am 4 yeats his junior :cry: :old:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020 20:33 

At least he died doing something he enjoyed. As they say; “you don’t stop doing things because you are getting old, you get old because you stop doing things!” ;)

Although l am also becoming more aware of my fragility.......like the last time l fell over and hit the deck......then realised that l don’t bounce back like l used to! :old: :sad1:

In future l’ll stick to wearing full body armour when walking on wet decking! lOl

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020 11:49 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
I'm trying to get out as much as I can especially given some of the bad news about friends lately. Life is truly fragile and shorter than we think.

Given that i'm much more fragile in my advancing years I've bought myself one of those new fangled airbag waistcoats 'Justin'. I really don't bounce and recover as well as I once did ;)

Enjoy the ride and avoid the bounce :D Stay lucky :yup:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020 13:22 

Do you give all your clothes names? You old softy ;)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020 16:12 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yt: clive, Ive started on my Bucket list :yup: I do need to get out more , no pockets in shrouds :yup:

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020 21:55 

barney wrote:
:yt: clive, Ive started on my Bucket list :yup: I do need to get out more , no pockets in shrouds :yup:

‘The Bucket List’ ; a brilliantly enjoyable film with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman! :yup:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023 19:53 

MOT time today! Trust me to have booked on a day it was then forecast to snow! lOl Fortunately the snow didn’t reach us and it wasn’t have as cold as expected.....as long as you keep the speed Legal. :twisted:

I always plan to get a few miles in before the test to bed in the brakes, especially after 5 months of standing idle! :roll: ........except that I am always running late so did less than 3 miles with frequent stamping on the brakes. :oooops:

It passed anyway. :) The tester and bike workshop owner told me they had recently restored a similar Buell that had stood for 10 years, and that getting parts to overhaul the injectors and fuel pump was a bitch. Ah the joys of XB ownership today. :|

After the test I was determined to at least warm the motor through and burn off the moisture. It got a bit fresh as I ventured above 55 so I made the most of the spurts away from the lights enjoying the effortless part throttle 0-40 acceleration my Venturi modded header gives, but out of town the little XB rushed up to 85 (that’s kph Officer ;) without much more effort. 8-)

I did a shortish loop between Cheltenham, Gloucester to Coombe Hill and back to Cheltenham as the cold was creeping in. Only 20.5 miles all in, but so good to be out on my Buell even being slightly chilled to the bones. Roll on summer! :sun:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023 10:43 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
Good summary, even if it wasn't "summery" :yup: