Last visit was: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 10107
Current ride: X1 2001
Location: southampton
.....of course with a bigger plate

you can get more dinner on it :eat: :mrgreen:


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 pm 
Offline
Milf Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm
Posts: 4624
Current ride: '98 S1
Location: Wessex
I used to run small plates, just changing it for the MOT. Now I can't be arsed. My bike makes 127 decibels at full chat, so I don't need another excuse for a tug... lOl

_________________
I started out with nothing and still got most of it left.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 7166
Current ride: Muffin 2001 X1
I can't remember the plate size on muffin , it is legal but because it's only a 5 digit it is a lot smaller than most plates.

_________________
2001 X1 2009 1125CR 2006 Uly X2 and a fully Maz'd S1


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 pm
Posts: 2935
Current ride: M2 Razorback
Location: Mouth of the Port in the Shire of Hamp
at 04:54, kevmean wrote:
I can't remember the plate size on muffin , it is legal but because it's only a 5 digit it is a lot smaller than most plates.

Get some sleep, Kev! lOl
This is key, get a shorter number, 7 digits do not fit nicely on two lines. Keep the font and spacing correct, and trim to the minimum legal margin (11mm).
I have a 6 digit reg. number that has no relevance to me or the bike, but looks compact but not obviously illegal. I didn't even have to buy it as I simply transferred it from a car I scrapped.

_________________
'98 M2 Razorback, it's a keeper.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 887
rik wrote:
at 04:54, kevmean wrote:
I can't remember the plate size on muffin , it is legal but because it's only a 5 digit it is a lot smaller than most plates.

Get some sleep, Kev! lOl
This is key, get a shorter number, 7 digits do not fit nicely on two lines. Keep the font and spacing correct, and trim to the minimum legal margin (11mm).
I have a 6 digit reg. number that has no relevance to me or the bike, but looks compact but not obviously illegal. I didn't even have to buy it as I simply transferred it from a car I scrapped.

That's right Rik, I recently discovered myself that there is no legal minimum plate size. The legal requirements are font size and width, letter/number spacing and as you say, 11mm margin. A 6 figure plate, as you say, can be quite a bit smaller than generally available and still be perfectly legal. Question I have, does your typical plod actually know this or not?

_________________
Try doing this to yer fueller...........


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 pm
Posts: 2935
Current ride: M2 Razorback
Location: Mouth of the Port in the Shire of Hamp
(touching wood) ...well I've not been stopped... mind you it's only been on the road for a week in the past 3 years! Never commented upon at MoT either.

_________________
'98 M2 Razorback, it's a keeper.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm
Posts: 4505
Current ride: K100
Location: Perth WA, occasionally Quorn, UK
03 wrote:
Question I have, does your typical plod actually know this or not?


Doesn't really matter, apart from the inconvenience of being pulled over. I remember being pulled over on my chop donkeys years ago. The cop was determined to find something to do me for. He finally said said, "aha, you haven't got a chain guard!" I said "do I need one?" He didn't know, so begrudgingly let me go :)

_________________
Travelling through time at the speed of light


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3131
Current ride: XB9SX
To really wind up the officer you could have quiped: "I am hoping the chain will break and take my head off so that I can join the 'LIVING DEAD.' " (Psychomania 1973) :twisted:


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3131
Current ride: XB9SX
Well that went down well? :?


Recently reviewing the biker movie ‘Psychomania’. A hilariously funny British film of that period......in a dark sort of way!

I suppose ‘The Lost Boys’ would be a more modern US equivalent. 8-)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 7166
Current ride: Muffin 2001 X1
Bonzo wrote:
03 wrote:
Question I have, does your typical plod actually know this or not?


Doesn't really matter, apart from the inconvenience of being pulled over. I remember being pulled over on my chop donkeys years ago. The cop was determined to find something to do me for. He finally said said, "aha, you haven't got a chain guard!" I said "do I need one?" He didn't know, so begrudgingly let me go :)

Some definitely don't :D A few years ago I replaced the number plate on muffin just because it had started to look tatty , I bought it online because most shops now only stock and make the large plates up, it was bought as a legal plate but was smaller because of only having 5 digits , it had the makers postcode and the bs number on it as well. The next night a group of us were riding to Willingham woods bike meeting place and the Police were pulling in as many bikes as they could for number plate checks and warnings, first mate had bog standard plate on and was told to go , next mate had a small illegal size plate and was just told to change it , then it was my turn and the officer said your plates illegal change it or next time we will prosecute . I pointed out it was brand new and had been bought as a legal plate 2 days before ( I even had to send documents to get it made ) So I asked him why , first reply was it was too small so I pointed out the legal requirements on font size and borders etc , next it was because there wasn't the correct spacing between the X and the 1 , I again pointed out the legal requirement was met. It was then that he had been doing this job for years and could tell it was illegal but seeing as it was just a warning to leave :D :D I refused to go until he proved to me why it was illegal so his next excuse was that the font of the letter B was illegal because it had a small tail to the left at the top and bottom of the B , I pointed out it was a standard font so his reply is no it's not it should be the same as on his police car , so we had a look and his font was identical to mine so he asked me to leave again. lOl I told him I needed to know so I could contact the supplier that had sold me it as a legal plate , his answer is they tell you that to get your money , I pointed out that they don't put their identification number required by law if it's illegal though. He gave up before me and after about 25 minutes just walked off .................. my mates were amazed that he never mentioned my 116db Buell race exhaust system out to me as well lOl

_________________
2001 X1 2009 1125CR 2006 Uly X2 and a fully Maz'd S1


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Posts: 3227
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford
There are times when if you know you are right , you have to make a stand , then there are other times even if you know you are in the right, it’s just easier to say yes sir ,no sir , let them have their little jobsworth moment and a few minutes later you’re on your way thinking what a dickhead :roll:

_________________
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08
CCM R30 (650cc) 02
Norton Dominators


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3131
Current ride: XB9SX
Any roadup! Finally got round to the XB’s MOT today. Essential back up vehicle to my car. ;)

My regular MOT chap has been off due to a motorcycle accident :roll: Some said it was his back, while the guys in the unit next door said it was his leg! :? Get well soon. :sun:

So........... :yc: l went to Spa Motorcycles instead. “You want us to test your Buell? Has it got a standard muffler otherwise it’s too noisy?”. :roll: “yes! My ears can’t take noise anymore either! “. ;)

They even put my XB on the rack to check the none adjustable wheel alignment. :hehe:

It passed of course. :yup:


Top
   
 
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited