It is currently 19 Apr 2024 08:04

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Buell is back
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021 10:28 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
We're lucky enough to have single, twin and triples in our garage. I enjoy all of them equally but for different reasons. The singles are great for hooning around on - it feels like you're doing a 100mph but you're normally with in speed limits.

The twins, Ducati/Buell/EBR are all different and as to which one is best, not sure. The best everyday real world bike is without doubt the Triumph Street Triple. It does everything brilliantly - commute, scratch, bimble and tour. Well it does for me - I rode it on a 3000 Europe trip and it was brilliant fun.

The look, feel and build quality is excellent and yes, I know they're built in Thailand and I don't care. Whilst I'd love to buy a quality bike of that class type from a UK based manufacturer, sadly we don't have one so I can't.

The dealer back up up here is good too and the very minor issue I had was dealt with very quickly and with no fuss.

I do hope that after all the effort that they're putting in they're successful. The EBR is a great bit of kit but it needs to be updated with all the toys that most want nowadays.

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021 13:26 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
I feel that there are far too many " toys " and gadgets these days , its just more shit to go wrong and put you in limp mode home or does not compute and throws teddy out the pram and shuts down and you end up at side of road . yes when its new feels nice but after a few years and things start to degrade :headbang:
in the good old days :old: a couple of screw drivers , plug spanner and fag paper to re set points was all you needed
these days its a computor and a degree in software management to find out which sensor is sending wrong information to computor or sensor could be ok and its wiring loom fault somewhere :roll:

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021 19:50 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
I get your point but I like the modern stuff and have no desire to ride the stuff from the ‘good old days’. The most important bits of kit I carry with me are an AA card and a mobile phone. Sorted :yup: :D

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021 21:07 

Current ride: XB9SX
In the late 70s I used to enjoy setting the points with a brake light bulb on my little Honda twins every Saturday morning. It could give another 1500 rpm on the race home from the pub on Saturday night! :shut: lOl lOl

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021 21:50 

You tell kids of today that bikes once had points and they won't believe you! Aye, Obidiah :D

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 08:12 

conquistador wrote:
You tell kids of today that bikes once had points and they won't believe you! Aye, Obidiah :D

:yt: and you go back a few more years and it was drum brakes :shock: , if you were posh a car with LW / MW radio .

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 10:31 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
barney wrote:
if you were posh a car with LW / MW radio .

and an 8 track stereo :)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 12:30 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
I fear for the future of personal transport (more on that at the end) due to the level of 'toys' now being fitted. Some are more than just a distraction, some are downright bloody dangerous. A good friend is a motoring journo and gets to test all the latest cars as he is on the 'Car of the Year' jury. Have a read up on 'collision mitigation systems' and the reality is even worse than what you fear, eg driving down a country road your vehicle 'sees' a bit of hedge sticking out and takes over the steering... steers you away from the verge, towards the crown of the road.... straight into the oncoming SUV. This silly nonsense is in order to gain a better EU NCAP rating, the more difficult it is to deactivate (ie how deep in the sub menus it is buried) the better the NCAP. And of course it defaults back to 'on' each and every time you start it. But the sinister truth behind all these 'advances', these 'driver aids', these 'safety measures' :headbang: :roll: is that they are the proving grounds for the killjoys' ultimate goal of driver-less cars... and 'we' are hastening that day by unquestioningly accepting them. Even when you 'tick each box that contains a traffic light' to prove that you are 'not a robot' you are contributing to A.I. reasearch into human cognitive skills...
Give me a simple car or bike that I am in total control of please, not one that slavishly obeys another's algorithm.
Peter Wheeler, onetime owner of TVR, refused to incorporate ABS, TC, airbags etc into his cars as he believed the absence of such made drivers concentrate harder. Of course, to do that, you have to be aware that you are vulnerable first, and judging by the way SUVs are driven around here, they all think they're invincible, so the battle may already be lost. And I may be talking myself around in one giant circle to where driverless cars appear as the solution! :rotfl:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 14:54 

rik wrote:
I fear for the future of personal transport (more on that at the end) due to the level of 'toys' now being fitted. Some are more than just a distraction, some are downright bloody dangerous. A good friend is a motoring journo and gets to test all the latest cars as he is on the 'Car of the Year' jury. Have a read up on 'collision mitigation systems' and the reality is even worse than what you fear, eg driving down a country road your vehicle 'sees' a bit of hedge sticking out and takes over the steering... steers you away from the verge, towards the crown of the road.... straight into the oncoming SUV. This silly nonsense is in order to gain a better EU NCAP rating, the more difficult it is to deactivate (ie how deep in the sub menus it is buried) the better the NCAP. And of course it defaults back to 'on' each and every time you start it. But the sinister truth behind all these 'advances', these 'driver aids', these 'safety measures' :headbang: :roll: is that they are the proving grounds for the killjoys' ultimate goal of driver-less cars... and 'we' are hastening that day by unquestioningly accepting them. Even when you 'tick each box that contains a traffic light' to prove that you are 'not a robot' you are contributing to A.I. reasearch into human cognitive skills...
Give me a simple car or bike that I am in total control of please, not one that slavishly obeys another's algorithm.
Peter Wheeler, onetime owner of TVR, refused to incorporate ABS, TC, airbags etc into his cars as he believed the absence of such made drivers concentrate harder. Of course, to do that, you have to be aware that you are vulnerable first, and judging by the way SUVs are driven around here, they all think they're invincible, so the battle may already be lost. And I may be talking myself around in one giant circle to where driverless cars appear as the solution! :rotfl:

I agree, the latest HGV`s are bedecked with overly sensitive and unreliable electronics that remove most functions from the driver and in my experience and opinion are the more dangerous for them, as they encourage the drivers to FB, Text etc....Humans need something to stimulate the mind and will find it, the obvious concern is that not all HGV`s have the same equipment and you may have collision avoidance on yesterdays motor, but not on todays and if you turn them off, are you culpable in the event of an incident?

Last Merc I drove had screens on the door pillars as exterior mirrors, I got on OK with them, but most said they could not gauge depth perspective reversing, this in itself is not good, nor are the headaches some drivers get because they are constantly looking at monitors, this vehicle also did everything coming up to a junction, slowing itself, braking and even putting the park brake on once at the required distance from the vehicle in front...Now, I was sitting at traffic lights behind a vehicle with the lorry having done all the work, when all of a sudden it decided to go :o Only the car in front was still stopped at the red light, nigh on shit mysen I can tell you, especially since I was 44tons!

Once back to the yard I refused to take it out again and told them about the incident at the traffic lights, apparently it had also happened to the regular driver!!! Yet is was still being used, it was only a month old.....Pile of German shite that it was.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 19:05 

:yt: had the Collison avoidance software put the brakes on hard because it saw a car coming towards me .. it was on the opposite side of the motorway FFS, fortunately it was early morning 3 ..4 o’clock so not much traffic about.
also had it with motorway junctions and people joining , undertake and shoot up the inside and pull in front of you , bet the feckers tailgating get a few brown trouser moments. :shock:
best bit, is when it snows sensor get coverd so it turns safety software off lOl

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 19:33 
Nanny Brown

Nutah wrote:
:yt:
it's like he knows a bit about the motorcycle industry :mrgreen: :yup:

:D :D :D :potm:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 20:00 

barney wrote:
conquistador wrote:

:yt: and you go back a few more years and it was drum brakes :shock: , if you were posh a car with LW / MW radi .

Yes my Honda twin had a TLS drum at the front, which also needed a tweak every Saturday if you wanted to stop quickly! :hehe:

By contrast I do like the adaptive ECU on my more modern XB? Is a thing of wonder.....adapting to all my exhaust experiments......eventually! ;)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 20:13 

Current ride: X1 2001
:rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021 20:38 

barney wrote:
:yt: had the Collison avoidance software put the brakes on hard because it saw a car coming towards me .. it was on the opposite side of the motorway FFS, fortunately it was early morning 3 ..4 o’clock so not much traffic about.
also had it with motorway junctions and people joining , undertake and shoot up the inside and pull in front of you , bet the feckers tailgating get a few brown trouser moments. :shock:
best bit, is when it snows sensor get coverd so it turns safety software off lOl

One of the higher mileage Citroen Relay vans l drove recently had an electronic hill stop/ start facility which kicked in for no good reason and slowed the van to a crawl half way up a fast hill on the A40 just outside Cheltenham. :ill: That was a bit worrying, but luckily it happened just after the road widened with an overtaking lane. Bloody stupid device that any experienced van driver does not need. :roll: That made the rest of the trip a bit unsettling. Happened again later that day in Aylesbury, but when l was on a level road! :?

On the plus side, the last company l drove for got a brand new Citroen Relay van which featured a new but very old tech rubber flap covered vent between the cab and the cargo hold. This releases the cabin pressure from one compartment to another when you open or close the van doors. Damn clever and effective. Keep innovations simple stupid! :yup:

On the down side the new vans bonnet catch stopped opening on day 2 (a missed defect on the PDI?) so l couldn’t top up the screen wash which effectively put the van out of action for three days! :roll: Simples! lOl

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2021 13:17 

I've just converted a BTH magneto on my Velocette from auto advance to manual advance lOl