It is currently 19 Apr 2024 02:11

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Why use the kill switch?
PostPosted: 19 May 2009 15:59 

Current ride: 08 Uly
My manual says to use the kill switch to stop the engine. Why? What's wrong with using the ignition key to do it and saving the Kill for emergencies as on other bikes?

This seems to be a Harley/Buell convention, but I can't figure out why.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:17 
Habit. I always use the kill switch and never the key.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:19 

i use both

depends on how cold my hands are

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:25 

Current ride: Yr Mrs
Don't really know the answer, have always used the kill switch myself, but then reaching down the side of the bike on an S1 is not as easy either. I do seem to remember (deep down in the fuzzled brain) that there was a thread about this years ago when only tubers existed, and the recommendation was that the key not the kils switch should be used, which sound contrary to fueller advice now then? Might be something to do with pecky electronics (which of course, the purity of an S1 does not really bother with, nasty FI etc. LOL). My memory might be wrong, but I think that I remember it, if only because I always use the switch, and that was against some prevailing thought.

So, dunno, but unless someone tells me different, the kills switch is a darned site easier, and as Spook says, habit etc.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:39 
I recall when collecting my first Buell XB9R being told to use the kill switch and to make sure the bike was upright when I started it too??? I use the kill switch to turn stop the engine then turn off the ignition key.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:54 

I remember that thread too, S1nner, but ignored it at the time, despite the recommendations of the Wise Men.

At least, I ignored it right up to the point that the kill switch on The Fridge stopped working, so now I only use the key. :lol:

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 17:04 

Current ride: Yr Mrs
Norm wrote:
At least, I ignored it right up to the point that the kill switch on The Fridge stopped working, so now I only use the key. :lol:

That tickled me! :lol: I expect I will follow that course at some stage!

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 20:06 

Current ride: Lots
IIRC, using the kill switch whilst tanking along through even a mildly built up area results in a thoroughly pukka explosion......... something that is the envy of those that exclusively ride FI bikes.... (eh, Norm ;) ......

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 20:15 

Especially if you do it while driving past a large gathering greeting Prince Andrew outside the yatch club in Aberdovey. I think a few of the 'Plain Clothes' types shat themselves ;) :lol: :lol:

Mrs Adam didn't think it was funny :x

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 06:47 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Never used the kill switch on any bike (which makes me particularly susceptible to the old highly amusing kill switch flick off when not looking routine) :P

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 12:11 
Some use it and some don't. I did all the time until I read a similar thread on another forum. Made me think twice about using it but I don't know why - thats what it's there for?

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 13:11 
I used my kill switch whilst checking in at ferry terminal heading to NW200 last Monday. Bike decided it didn't want to play after. It took a few on/offs before it fired back into life. Happened a few times last week! Trying to break the habit of using it until I have a chance to get it checked.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 13:28 
Jacqui. I have had problems with water in the switch gear on my XB12S. Filled the both up with as much silicon grease as I can get in there fine since.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 15:18 
Thanks. Will do. Aim to strip it down at weekend and have a look. All is fine as long as I don't hit the kill switch!!!!

PostPosted: 21 May 2009 12:06 

Current ride: Mojo
Switching your bike off with the kill switch or the key performs exactly the same function.