It is currently 28 Mar 2024 22:53

All times are UTC

Post subject: M2 owners beware!..
PostPosted: 26 May 2009 17:37 
picked up my new battery today and thought i'd fit it, took the old battery out and guess what?.....the bottom of the battery tray fell to bits, totally rusted through. i'm gonna have to get some steel and the welding kit out.
i've never heard about this happening before, so i can only think it's had a leaking battery in the past!. :roll:
i was feeling so pleased with my self as i'd got a bargain with the battery, got a Yuasa for £65, honda genuine spare part for a VTX1800 i think, part no 31500-MCA-003.
ah well shit happens!... :roll: :roll:

Post subject: Re: M2 owners beware!..
PostPosted: 26 May 2009 17:47 
You know, we take things so much for granted these days.
Wasn't that long ago that you expected a battery tray to rot, and were surprised when it didn't.

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 17:57 

I think water gets trapped between the rubber mat and the metal which keeps the area damp :idea: I put grease under the mat to slow it up - works for me ;)

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 18:01 
paulalig wrote:
I think water gets trapped between the rubber mat and the metal which keeps the area damp :idea: I put grease under the mat to slow it up - works for me ;)

good thinking batman!... :D :D

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 19:47 

i will have a look at mine :cry:
Is greasing the mat the way to go then ???

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 22:52 

I replaced the original battery on my M2 a while back (less than 8 years old, really disappointing quality parts Buell fit to their bikes :lol: ). The tray was still perfectly fine though. Maybe you've had a problem with the rec/reg or dodgy charger, making the battery "boil over" at some point?

Digger wrote:
Wasn't that long ago that you expected a battery tray to rot, and were surprised when it didn't.

My Buell has always suprised me with bits failing that I wasn't expecting while other fatality-suspects (the engine for example) seem to last forever. ;)

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 23:39 
robelst wrote:
I replaced the original battery on my M2 a while back (less than 8 years old, really disappointing quality parts Buell fit to their bikes :lol: ). The tray was still perfectly fine though. Maybe you've had a problem with the rec/reg or dodgy charger, making the battery "boil over" at some point?

Digger wrote:

My Buell has always suprised me with bits failing that I wasn't expecting while other fatality-suspects (the engine for example) seem to last forever. ;)

Jeez you've done it now! i bet your oil pump drive fails the next time you are caning the bike!.... :shock: :shock: :D

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 21:28 
That's why I got mine powder coated. Was about 18 months old, rust starting so caught it early. My battery lasted 10 years :D
Pete

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 21:52 

Who's Stumpy?

PostPosted: 30 May 2009 10:25 

pontiusxbazooka wrote:
Jeez you've done it now! i bet your oil pump drive fails the next time you are caning the bike!.... :shock: :shock: :D

Actually that was another bit I expected to be hanging at a thread, but last inspection was showing it in perfect condition. It clocked 129 mph on the GPS last week in France, the scruffy old lady is still doing well. I better make some space in the garage having said all that :lol:

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 10:14 
Stumpy's my dog.

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 15:48 

My cat's called Stumpy. It was named by my ex-wife, "in case it ever loses a leg" :shock: (strange woman)