It is currently 27 Apr 2024 00:37

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 19:14 

Current ride: buell 1125cr
Hi All
Have been on hear for a while just need some advice. need to replace my drive belt, got a few quotas bit high and will have to weight a month to be fix. live in Trowbridge Wiltshire if anybody know a good mechanic and can do it quickly pleases let me know. had a look at in the manual doesn't look that hard to do was told you need alignment tools belt tension tool is this true? how hard is it to do? any tips
thanks

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 19:42 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:askmaz: :maz: :idea:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 20:07 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
westy1125cr wrote:
how hard is it to do?

I watched Maz torque up my new belt on the 1125... I could not be that courageous without seeing it done before.

Do you have the belt?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 20:13 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
I don't recall having any trouble with mine other than being surprised at how tight they are when fitted.
If you are in Trowbridge and don't know of these guys, you need to get out more :old:
http://www.motorcyclesbath.co.uk/

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 22:11 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi there,

I've just done mine without any problems by reading the manual. I hadn't done one before either. The instructions in the manual are pretty clear. I had a problem getting the wheel spindle out to begin with but after that, pretty easy. It isn't a difficult job, don't put yourself off doing it, unless of course you doubt your capabilities or don't have the tools

In that case, get it to Maz.

PS. I'd do the tyre & bearings whilst you've got the wheel off.

Bearing sizes & the advice I got is in the thread I did whilst doing the belt etc, courtesy of other UKBEG members (thanks again for that).

If you need any help just ask, someone on here will be able to help.

All the best with the job Paul.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 04:19 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
You don't need an alignment tool and there is no belt tension tool to use either , You release the tension by undoing the rear axle 15 turns , always make sure you do that on 1125 and XB's BEFORE you take out the removable segment of the swingarm which enables you to slide the belt through and likewise make sure the removable section is bolted back in before tightening the axle back up at the end..

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 10:09 

kevmean wrote:
You don't need an alignment tool and there is no belt tension tool to use either , You release the tension by undoing the rear axle 15 turns , always make sure you do that on 1125 and XB's BEFORE you take out the removable segment of the swingarm which enables you to slide the belt through and likewise make sure the removable section is bolted back in before tightening the axle back up at the end..

:yt:

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 10:30 

…..and always grease your spindle with genuine Coppaslip before reassembly (not the cheap imitation stuff that dries to a powder) or some other type of special anti corrosion paste. I have a tin of it somewhere but can't remember what it's called lOl

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 13:06 

Adam wrote:
…..and always grease your spindle with genuine Coppaslip before reassembly (not the cheap imitation stuff that dries to a powder) or some other type of special anti corrosion paste. I have a tin of it somewhere but can't remember what it's called lOl

I'll second that as my spindle was stuck fast with dried up stuff.
I used Century Super C when rebuilding, bloody difficult to remove excess off the swingarm & it tends to get everywhere, but it definitely won't dry up on you.

Good luck. Paul.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 15:24 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Adam wrote:

Duralac?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 16:34 

pash wrote:
Adam wrote:

Duralac?

Yeah, that's the stuff. It was on the tip of my tongue..........(and tasted nasty lOl )

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 19:34 

Hi thank for getting back to me. I've got the belt, the tyre are ok so hopefully spindle was greased when they were fitted. Have heard about lightning services got a quote and would have to wait a month to do the job. I read manual it didn't seam that hard to do, was told by a mechanic that you had to have all the alignment tools etc. going to sort it saturday
cheers

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 22:20 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
westy1125cr wrote:
, was told by a mechanic that you had to have all the alignment tools etc.
cheers

Unfortunately this is the problem with Buells and especially the 1125's So few know what they are talking about. This place is a good source of info with the likes of Pash, Kev Maz etc being generous sources of knowledge. If Lightning services want you to wait a month it probably means they don't want to do it. It's only an hour or so's work if you know what you're doing.
As Kev said loosening the rear spindle slackens the belt. Then remove the side plate and don't tighten the spindle up until all in place. Don't over-tighten spindle as you WILL crush the spacer which will end up ruining the wheel bearings. Wheel bearings are a weak point on 1125s and XB's and need a good looking at and maybe changing each tyre change. :old:

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019 23:56 

Yeah,

The 1125r has one less bearing in the rear wheel than every other bike I've had, only two bearings supporting the wheel spindle & F**k all supporting the sprocket. Unfortunately that means the sprocket loads the same bearing as the spindle runs on.
Don't use a power washer round either of the wheel hubs or you will F**k the bearings up real quick as there is nothing protecting the seals.

All the best & I hope it turns out ok.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019 10:06 

Got it sorted not that hard to do. if you change a chain and sprocket you can do this.
Thanks for the advice