It is currently 19 Apr 2024 19:47

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Lithium battery for XB?
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2020 16:15 

Current ride: '03 XB9S Lightning
I'm considering buying a Lithium battery for my 2003 XB9S, specifically a Shido. I am however unsure if the XB charging system is suitable for a Lithium battery and if one of these batteries is the way to go. Stories about batteries and bikes going on fire are pretty scary. Hopefully the technically minded in the group will be able to give me an understanding of this. I know some people are running Lithiums with no problems.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020 17:23 

Current ride: 1999 X1
I have Shorais in the 2 bikes I have left. The Kawasucky one is 7 years old, the other, a Buell X1, only 3. No problems so far. While lithiums can withstand vibes real well, I was worried about the Texas heat (road heat in summer averages 65-70 C) and being right next to the rear header, possibly making it overheat and set itself on fire, but it seems ok so far and it doesn't get ridden much anyway. I had one on a BMW for 6 years and 110k miles too and it lasted. So I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you want to use it in real cold weather, then it doesn't like to crank. You have to turn the bike on, lights, grip heaters, hazards to create a load so the battery can warm itself up, then it will crank in the cold. Nature of the battery. Where I live we got down to -5 C one day then it was above 0 for a week and climbed back up to 20 a week later. That one day, the Kawi started just fine.

The replacement Shorai is LFX27L3-BS12 for 405 CCA but I put in the LFX27L3-BS12 for 540 CCA. They're the same size and both are about 9 lbs lighter than an AGM battery. I have some engine mods...1250cc, headwork, 11.4:1 comp and different cams so I wanted a little extra oomph.

I'm hoping someday that bike mfrs will start putting Lithiums in bike as standard and designing charging systems that are truly made for the charging patterns unique to them. You'd think that the tiny race replicas would at least have them since they're smaller and lighter and would allow for a slight bit more compact packaging.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 08:24 

Current ride: XB9SX
Has anyone tried installing a heat shield/deflector to the front of the battery holder yet. I am planning to do this on my XB. ;)

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 09:45 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
LiFePo batteries are sensitive to overvoltage (14.9 V limit, if I remember correctly) and all my XB had massive overvoltage up to 19 V when the stators/connector 44 were faulty or broken. Allhough all my bikes are converted to LiFePo now, I would not have dared to do so with one of my XB at that time. On top of that, the ECM will not indicate overvoltage, just undervoltage.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 12:03 

gunter wrote:
LiFePo batteries are sensitive to overvoltage (14.9 V limit, if I remember correctly) and all my XB had massive overvoltage up to 19 V when the stators/connector 44 were faulty or broken. Allhough all my bikes are converted to LiFePo now, I would not have dared to do so with one of my XB at that time. On top of that, the ECM will not indicate overvoltage, just undervoltage.

Would you recommed changing the OEM regulator/rectifier to a modern MOSFET type for Lithium batteries, Gunter?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 15:54 

Current ride: 1999 X1
03 wrote:
gunter wrote:

Would you recommed changing the OEM regulator/rectifier to a modern MOSFET type for Lithium batteries, Gunter?

I've never looked for these for a road bike so I'm interested. Anything would be better than what we have now.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 18:47 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
03 wrote:
gunter wrote:

Honestly, you are asking the wrong man - I am a digital guy. I just wanted to sound a note of caution. There are better spots to place your private parts than above an exploding battery. I have no idea, what other manufacturers do better, but I know for sure, that I would not trust this one.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 20:28 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
I've been considering one of these as a replacement for mine, looking at the weight loss, not fekin cheap though :ill:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020 00:15 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
gusm2 wrote:
I've been considering one of these as a replacement for mine, looking at the weight loss, not fekin cheap though :ill:

Cut those bolts down on your exhaust mounts & you'll save some weight. :twisted: JB

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020 02:28 

gunter wrote:
03 wrote:
gunter wrote:

Honestly, you are asking the wrong man - I am a digital guy. I just wanted to sound a note of caution. There are better spots to place your private parts than above an exploding battery. I have no idea, what other manufacturers do better, but I know for sure, that I would not trust this one.

Thanks for the feedback Gunter, much appreciated.