It is currently 29 Mar 2024 05:20

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020 11:58 

Hi guys,

Hopefully last request for help in the short term. :oooops:

All ready to go in for my MOT when the idiot lights started playing up. When I turn on the ignition key, headlamp comes on and indicator idiot lights work, but no oil pressure idiot or neutral idiot and the high beam idiot doesn't come on. :evil:

I guess the wiring is the same as for the S1 so as simple as it gets. Fuses are present and correct. Does anyone know if these three idiots are connected in some way?

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020 13:30 

Current ride: S1`s
The connector where the little bulbs fit can cause trouble. They did on my S1. Not sure if you have the 5 bulbs in a row thing on your S3T.
Wiggle the wiring where it goes in at the bottom or take the unit out and try the bulbs. there are tabs holding in the connector which you can get to with a flat screwdriver.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020 19:59 

Thanks Topgumm,

I do have the 5 in a row bulby thing so will take a look at those connectors.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020 20:29 

Also found trouble by loom . Follow the wires back from idiots to the loom where there is a connector under the tank right hand side.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020 15:40 

Hi TopGumm,

Quote:
Wiggle the wiring where it goes in at the bottom or take the unit out and try the bulbs. there are tabs holding in the connector which you can get to with a flat screwdriver

I disconnected the 5 bulb unit but can't see an obvious way to remove the black rubber grommets with the bulbs in them to test the bulb. If I pull hard on the rubber grommet it doesn't want to come out of the white housing. I'm reluctant to pull too hard in case it rips the grommet in half. :shock:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020 15:56 

Current ride: firebolt xb9r/x1
Hi, I had the same problem with My X1,I guess that they are all 20 plus years old now and a bit reluctant to come apart,I used some acf50 to lube the rubbers and gently eased them apart ,fitted new bulbs,the only one I cant get to work is the neutral light,but finding neutral on an X1 is always going to be iffy,Hope this helps

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020 19:29 

You can take the bulbs out on their own , push-pull fit .

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020 20:55 

Thanks Bob/TG,

Turns out I was barking up the wrong tree. lOl

I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the bulbs so turned to the wiring loom and went over the 12 wire connector and couldn't see anything obviously wrong there. I thought it unlikely that there were grounding issues with both the oil pressure switch and neutral switch when they had both been working a few weeks ago but sure enough there was. Lesson learnt - check the obvious first. :headbang: