It is currently 29 Mar 2024 02:23

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ulysses headlights.
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020 17:18 

Current ride: Buell Ulysses
Has anyone upgraded, got both headlights lights working as Dipped / Main beam or found a solution to the poor lighting problem ? :headbang:

Post subject: Re: Ulysses headlights.
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020 17:52 

Current ride: X1 2001
Auxilary spot lamps maybe ?
dunno never owned one TBH , sensible people may be along later with better advice :sun:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020 18:00 

Current ride: 09 XB12XT, Guzzi V11
There are some videos on Youtube showing how to get both lights to work at once.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020 18:57 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
had my ulysses for a few years now, never had a problem with the lights.
but then again I am a warm sunny day rider these days :old:
belive there is a how to on here with wiring diagram viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7645
:yup:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2020 09:39 

Current ride: XB12X
I thought the same Bobblar and added some aux lights - just cheap ebay ones but they do the job well and even if they fail every 12 months I can afford to replace them 10 times for the cost of a pair of Denalis and still have money over for a few litres of unleaded!
You need a bracket to fix them to and then find the right wiring to connect it to. I can post a photo next time I'm out at the bike if you're interested.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264428488542

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2020 22:42 

Thanks for the replies chaps think I'll start with Barneys wiring mod and see how i get on with that :worthy: and by the way I will be cautious

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2020 12:36 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
Depending on which way you want to go with this. Having both lamps on (Dipped and Mainbeam together) won't do you any favours with other road users (assuming they care) if not enough light output when you need to be in dipped mode which was the problem I experienced.
Alternatives are:
https://www.red-fox.com/buell/xb-range-headlamp-upgrade-mini-twin/buell-xb-range-headlamp-upgrade-mini-twin-lighting - I ran this happily on my Uly for many years and upgrades your existing light unit to twin H4 lamps.
https://www.lightningleds.nl/ - Gets you a brand new, purpose built twin LED light unit. I purchased mine earlier this year but haven't ventured out at night with it yet (not had a need to be out at night). Did pass the MOT with it last month so no concerns on that part.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020 15:07 

Current ride: 1999 X1
delw wrote:
Depending on which way you want to go with this. Having both lamps on (Dipped and Mainbeam together) won't do you any favours with other road users (assuming they care) if not enough light output when you need to be in dipped mode which was the problem I experienced.
Alternatives are:
https://www.red-fox.com/buell/xb-range-headlamp-upgrade-mini-twin/buell-xb-range-headlamp-upgrade-mini-twin-lighting - I ran this happily on my Uly for many years and upgrades your existing light unit to twin H4 lamps.
https://www.lightningleds.nl/ - Gets you a brand new, purpose built twin LED light unit. I purchased mine earlier this year but haven't ventured out at night with it yet (not had a need to be out at night). Did pass the MOT with it last month so no concerns on that part.

Got a friend with a XB12XT with the Red Fox and he has stated that it is definitely worth the money. He's using it a lot right now as it is dark at 5 pm these days.

I prefer having both lamps on if possible simply because a larger area makes you more visible to other vehicles. Tiny projector lamps may put out a decent light, but they're so tiny to other road users that it's easy for them to not really identify you. For me it's always about being seen because that's something I don't manually have control over. I can personally handle what I can see even with crappy lighting.

Best lights I ever had were on a Moto Guzzi Stevio NTX. Best part of the bike actually. Big lenses and big output. Like the sun was in my fairing nose.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020 18:18 

Decided to go the Lightningleds route they look a good product good light output too and Marcel is very helpful.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020 07:01 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
might try the H4 to H7 bulb conversion fitting route . And a couple of fused relays , (high and low )
https://www.sportbikes.net/threads/repl ... lb.293151/
Depending on space could always do same mod with pair of H4 Led bulbs .
It will give me something to do for a few hours , once I get bored of, or nothing left to paint and decorate in house

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021 15:50 

Well now successfully fitted the Lightning LED Main/dipped headlights and wow I can now drive along country lanes at night wearing Ray Bans, what an improvement, :D