It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:03

All times are UTC

Post subject: complete bearing renewal
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 21:41 
Lean ... Crash ... Oh Bollocks!

after 15000 miles the bearings on my x1 are on the way out so what are the best bearings to go for as im planning to do the lot head swing and wheel bearings . are their any special tools /tips i need to know about before i order them and start stripping my precious

done a fair few bearing changes on old air cooled suzukis wheel head and swing arm and i usual just use a long punch to get the buggers out is it the same affair with the buell or do i have to be a bit more careful

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 21:54 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Take pictures and write some stuff so we can enlarge the How To. At the moment we only have stuff for XB wheels.

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 22:30 

Current ride: Xb12Scg
dont know about the x1, but i got my bearings from this guy on ebay. SKF, but he does other brands

Bearing Seller. he ws cheaper then anywhere else even with postage. dont think he will have head bearings though, unless they are a standard size

and this puller from machine mart

Blind Bearing Puller

i know the puller was pricey, but it will be useful for more than just my xb

PostPosted: 18 May 2009 16:12 

You don't need bearing pullers for the headstock bearings, they can be punched out with a 20mm dia round bar with the face ground to give you an acute angle across the face. There is enough outer bearing race protrudingfrom the seat.
I put new ones in use ing two 10mm thick plates drilled to accept screwed rod,this pulled the bearing outer races flush with the headstock,I then used the old bearing outers to push the new ones home.Use the old ones the same way round as the new ones and you will have a decent edge to tap them out after use.
Having done that sort of thing before ,you won't need telling to punch the old ones a bit at a time ,side to side. Or when pulling the new ones in to gently tap the plates ,and check they are pulling in square.
Lee
PS I usually just PM Maz, for the bits I want,he nearly always posts them off the following day,and I get them the day after ( even here in Moray )