Last visit was: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

[ 2995 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1194 195 196 197 198200 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:32 pm 

Current ride: XB9SX
Or even ‘Aerial Boundaries’ by Michael Hedges! lOl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:47 am 

Current ride: 1999 X1
Now it was your turn to lose me. But you got my point about live recordings. Practice. Go in. Record. They had multi mixers then, just not multi track tape. A big reason for the raw energy and purity that was captured.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:23 am 

I didn’t know that about multi mixers. :roll:

I guess if you’re ever in Phoenix, Arizona Hi Fi do Rega, Arcam and Mitchel analogue Products, but l haven’t been there myself.

Touraj Moghaddam who founded Roksan and designed the Xerxes has moved on to greater? Things. Now living in California designing and selling products under the ‘Vertere’ name.....for astronomical prices. :shock: Check out Yutube: ‘Touraj Moghaddam demonstrates his Reference Turntable Bearing’.
I have the Mk 2 bearing in my Xerxes (£180 in 1989), which is probably the same as the standard one from Vertere. I priced the Roksan Reference bearing 5 years ago at £771 so l just bought the tungsten ball for £25. lOl Gawd knows what Vertere charge now!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:31 am 

Current ride: The wife
X1 Glider wrote:
I wouldn't mind a hi-fi thread

Fuck me....that's a clever idea!
Have a mooch in search and take your pick from one of the other hijacks
Talking about hijacks and unrelated issues 3x300Mg of Aspirin works wonders for my headaches

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:45 am 

All by chance surely? At least it’s music related. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:16 pm 

True!
Which incidentally sounds shit no matter what you play it on
***edit***
By that I mean Spandau ballet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 am 

.......which reminds me! lOl

The most difficult thing to get my head around; I once auditioned a power supply unit costing £695, designed by the same company as my record deck to install BETWEEN the quartz locked speed controller and the mains plug. This made good musicians and records sound amazing, but lesser artists and recordings were not so good. :roll:

You could buy the same unit built to a ‘lower spec’ (less sampled components) for ONLY £495. While the cheaper supply sounded less impressive than the first, it ,made more of my records sound merely very good most of the time. So l logically l bought the slightly cheaper unit. Strange but true. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:50 pm 

edd wrote:
I didn’t know that about multi mixers. :roll:

I guess if you’re ever in Phoenix, Arizona Hi Fi do Rega, Arcam and Mitchel analogue Products, but l haven’t been there myself.

Touraj Moghaddam who founded Roksan and designed the Xerxes has moved on to greater? Things. Now living in California designing and selling products under the ‘Vertere’ name.....for astronomical prices. :shock: Check out Yutube: ‘Touraj Moghaddam demonstrates his Reference Turntable Bearing’.
I have the Mk 2 bearing in my Xerxes (£180 in 1989), which is probably the same as the standard one from Vertere. I priced the Roksan Reference bearing 5 years ago at £771 so l just bought the tungsten ball for £25. lOl Gawd knows what Vertere charge now!

It's amazing, the lengths still gone to in pursuit of the best sound (or the sound one prefers), when the original platter cuts were done on far less highly engineered equipment. Many people would think you're trying to polish a turd, the turd being a round slab of vinyl that is rarely perfectly flat and because of the material it's made of, actually resonates itself, making it the weakest link that you can't do anything about. But, as an engineer myself and an audio snob, I'm absolutely fascinated by it all. As such, I'll obviously have opinions about things, such as the war of low mass vs high mass tonearms and how the tonearm mounting in designed. But I'm enamored most by the suspension systems and how many top systems have isolated components, both electric and mechanical.

I find a lot of the solutions in pursuit of perfection to be pure art, worthy of a wing in any city's Museum of Modern Arts, as long as the floor is robust enough to handle the weight of it all. Companies like Avid, Acoustic Solid, Transrotor and Davinci are among my favorites to look at. Lots more out there that are visually interesting.

Then there's also the Av Design Haus’ Dereneville which is ridiculous on an electrical engineering frontier. Though I don't care for how the thing looks one bit. But I admit to wanting to see the tone arm transport system in more detail. To me, that's the most fascinating subsystem in the whole assembly.

I want to start seeing the big players in this game start using air bearings and mag lev on both the turntable itself and the tone arm mounts. Also, magnetic drives. Anything to eliminate a mechanical connection. I have yet to dream up a way to eliminate the wires coming out of the tone arm. Getting rid of the cord that connects 2 tin cans so the kids can play "telephone" will surely get rid of some unwanted audible resonance. But hey, I don't do it for a living, so WTF do I know? And I'll never be able to afford any of these things. I'm not sure any albums I have left are worthy anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 pm 

edd wrote:
This made good musicians and records sound amazing, but lesser artists and recordings were not so good. :roll:

Nothing is truer than that.

Back when I actually had the "good stuff" in the early 90s, and I really didn't even have a proper room for it, as I bought "too big," I quickly learned 3 things:

1. You need a proper room, sized for the equipment for proper acoustics and sound stage. I had 3-way Apogee Acoustics "Diva" ribbon speakers with active crossovers and a bunch of Counterpoint SA-100 amps. Nothing sounded good as I needed a minimum input level for the Divas to work properly. The output, in terms of acoustic output, was too much for the room. The surface area of the ribbons was immense.

2. Because of point 1, I learned some lessons in "near field" acoustics. Small isn't necessarily bad. While small speakers will never achieve seismic event inducing low frequencies, they move less air and are lots more accurate due to lower mass. And in smaller spaces, the amount of air they move is more pleasing to the ear because it works better with the air volume of the room. So, I severely downgraded at a loss, to 2 SA-100 amps and a pair of B&W 801 Matrixes. The mid driver was awesome. Practically a full range driver which made listening a pleasure. The 15" and 1" simply added that "little extra." Still large by most wive's standards. But I wasn't to live without deep bass. And I, still to this day, despise outboard subwoofers for anything other than movies. The electrical hit we had a few years back absolutely destroyed the amps, power supplies, my CD player and speakers, the big screen... Only the cabinets were salvageable, not even the speaker wire, which was silver, survived. A nut on a hi-fi board with a mind to completely rebuild them bought the cabinets from me.

3. Truly great components can literally bring out the worst details of the recording or simply show what the next weakest link in the audio chain is. I've heard speakers that were pretty accurate to the point of being sterile, but they also showed the flaws in the amp. A better amp showed flaws in the preamp, then the turntable, tape deck or cd player. The Matrix's were warm enough to provide the pleasing sounds of the full-range speakers in the console stereo from the 70s but in a bigger and more accurate way.

At that point, I got out of the quest for the best and learned to just trust my ear. Something that's served me well as a guitar player too. Even though my hearing has gone to shit, my ear is really well trained and makes up for a lot of the damage.

But I admit I am interested in the hi-res audio available despite my ears. Unfortunately much of what I listen to on a daily basis is only available in standard CD quality 16/44 res, some at 24/96. Very few items are available at higher rates, like DSD which is bloody expensive. I had heard the first Boston album in DSD at a store on a McIntosh system in recent months. I noticed details not available on my copy. If I win the lottery, I will get a proper system again and hire a team to help me download the highest res copies available to replace what I currently have. It was 4 years in the making for me to find time to burn 1200 CDs to FLAC. I ain't getting any younger to do it again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 pm 

For fuck's sake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:27 pm 

Finmows wrote:

Your comment reminded me of a chap l used to work with. He was convinced components like the PS units l talk about had one wire going into the box which was wound 6 times around a bottle of snake oil before exiting the other side having done nothing of note! lOl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm 

x1glider wrote:
It's amazing, the lengths still gone to in pursuit of the best sound (or the sound one prefers), when the original platter cuts were done on far less highly engineered equipment. Many people would think you're trying to polish a turd, the turd being a round slab of vinyl that is rarely perfectly flat and because of the material it's made of, actually resonates itself, making it the weakest link that you can't do anything about.

I find a lot of the solutions in pursuit of perfection to be pure art, worthy of a wing in any city's Museum of Modern Arts

It’s our culture at the end of the day, and far more interesting than so much crap ‘ cuwl-cha!’we have to endure today! There is then the moral argument about how much we spend on luxury items when there are so many starving children in the world, but then l made a conscious choice not to have them, nor do l see myself as directly responsible for a couple who bring a child into the world when their local ecosystem can’t support them. :?

But also consider how much time and money people throw at their tin (or carbon fibre) box on wheels. Then look at all the nonsense on this web site about our obsession with one brand of motorcycle. :roll:

My dream is to spend what’s left of my retirement pot on a certain French amplifier by ‘Lavardin’, the IT for around £9K or if not then the IS Reference for only £4K! However one possible nightmare is that under a Comrade Corbin regime, the snowflakes insist that homeowners with a spare room Must adopt a refugee or orphan child from sub-Saharan Africa. I come home one day to find said child (like an errant Paddington Bear) has used my Lavardin as a box to stand on to reach a jar of marmalade on the top shelf! lOl You can’t be angry as it’s just a box, but they pulled all the connections before disconnecting the mains. I have the same fears for having children and pets in the house for the time l purchase my next MC cartridge at getting closer to £1000. :ill: Sad l know. :hehe:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:43 pm 

My neighbour is listening to THIS :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:55 pm 

Love Aphex Twin! lOl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 pm 

edd wrote:
Love Aphex Twin! lOl

My neighbour doesn't ;) lOl

[ 2995 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1194 195 196 197 198200 Next